U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,590,723 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of roads in Sioux Falls that I would like to see fixed and upgraded. On the top of my list is the I-29/I-229 area being widened and have that intersection modernized and it may mean having to put a couple of flyover ramps in that area. I-29 in the area is horribly bumpy and can be anightmare during busy travel times. It just plain needs to be widened. Another is to see SD 100 or the beltway built around the city. 57th St. west of Marion needs to be four-laned and Marion Rd. south of 26th St. and north of 12th St. up to the I-90 exit that will be installed in 2009.

Some are pie in the sky ideas such as a freeway to Denver and a freeway to Des Moines, but it never hurts to dream a dream.

What roads in our great state of SD or Sioux Falls or even your city that you would like to see fixed, upgraded, or installed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,089,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post

What roads in our great state of SD or Sioux Falls or even your city that you would like to see fixed, upgraded, or installed?
NORTH STREET!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 AM

259 posts, read 815,731 times
This one isn't in Rapid, but very close. Ellsworth Road in Box Elder going underneath 90 and up towards base. That road is the worst paved road I have ever driven on that doesn't have potholes.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 AM

193 posts, read 754,409 times
Highway 11 south of 26th street all the way to Frankman and even a bit further south. Someday that's supposed to be four lane, right? That road is rough right now.
On a thankful note, so far 57th Street is holding up pretty well between Cliff Ave and Minnesota Ave since they fixed it this past summer. Last year you had to slow down all the way to 10 MPH to drive along that route.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM

19,623 posts, read 9,861,969 times
Triva........
How many miles of ''roads'' are there in SD.........

Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM

733 posts, read 4,496,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Triva........
How many miles of ''roads'' are there in SD.........
About 84,000.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,167,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
There are a lot of roads in Sioux Falls that I would like to see fixed and upgraded. On the top of my list is the I-29/I-229 area being widened and have that intersection modernized and it may mean having to put a couple of flyover ramps in that area. I-29 in the area is horribly bumpy and can be anightmare during busy travel times. It just plain needs to be widened. Another is to see SD 100 or the beltway built around the city. 57th St. west of Marion needs to be four-laned and Marion Rd. south of 26th St. and north of 12th St. up to the I-90 exit that will be installed in 2009.

Some are pie in the sky ideas such as a freeway to Denver and a freeway to Des Moines, but it never hurts to dream a dream.

Good thread, Chris. I agree with nanjosbrand on 57th Street. Good part on the city to fix that horrible stretch. I'm surprised my car is still in one piece after driving on that!
Outside of Sioux Falls, US Highway 12 west out of Aberdeen is 4 lanes for a short distance... it needs to be widened to 4 lanes, at least to Bowdle.
I hope that Highway 34 from Madison to I-29 can become a 4 lane. Its needed.
In Sioux Falls, I-29 between 41st and the Tea exit, and the 29/229 area. The SF city planners and the SDDOT really did a shotty job in planning. They didn't acquire enough ROW or "right of way" along I-29. The interstate crossings at 49th & 57th were not considered... Because of that the entire SW quadrant of the city is congested.
With the new Sanford Research Park being built, I hope an exit can be built at 85th Street.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,590,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Good thread, Chris. I agree with nanjosbrand on 57th Street. Good part on the city to fix that horrible stretch. I'm surprised my car is still in one piece after driving on that!
Outside of Sioux Falls, US Highway 12 west out of Aberdeen is 4 lanes for a short distance... it needs to be widened to 4 lanes, at least to Bowdle.
I hope that Highway 34 from Madison to I-29 can become a 4 lane. Its needed.
In Sioux Falls, I-29 between 41st and the Tea exit, and the 29/229 area. The SF city planners and the SDDOT really did a shotty job in planning. They didn't acquire enough ROW or "right of way" along I-29. The interstate crossings at 49th & 57th were not considered... Because of that the entire SW quadrant of the city is congested.
With the new Sanford Research Park being built, I hope an exit can be built at 85th Street.
MJ1986, I agree with you completely on the I-29/I-229 issue. The 85th St. exit is definitely needed. With I-29, it should formatted similar to the I-29 north of 12th St where it has three lanes on each side with an auxillary lane. 69th St. will go through the I-29/I-229. I think that Marion Road should be extended as a service road from 57th St. to 85th St. Tea will grow northwards towards 85th St. and this road can serve as another entry point into Tea 5-10 years down the road. This will take some pressure off of the Tea exit and will bring opportunities for additional retail and businesses in Tea with close proximity to the interstate and Tea will extend out to I-29 in its comprehensive growth plans.

SD 100 should be completed and the part going west of the city should be completed from I-29 to Tea-Ellis Rd. in the immediate future with a widening of the road from two to four lanes.

The roads in Lennox need to be redone and have curb and gutter. The roads in the town have potholes and the roads are bad this time of the year with the freezing/thawing issue that makes roads rougher.

From the peanut gallery, I think that Southeastern should be paved from 57th St. to Harrisburg to provide Harrisburg residents with another route to Sioux Falls and it will indirectly help with the east-side development. The growth in southeastern SF south of 57th and east of Cliff will likely pick up in the next few years with a number of areas already platted.

I will add more later. If I add more now, I will end up writing a 1,000 page novel.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 PM

106 posts, read 329,095 times
Well definetly looking forward to the SD100 Construction at 57th Street. I really think its time we get going on paving the 69th Street and Southeastern Avenue area further east and south because that area is going to boom with development in the next few years.

I also agree Lennox needs new roads (from experience driving in towns out Metro).
Harrisburg needs to work on better roads to and work on getting commercial along Cliff and widen it.

I-29 from Louise Avenue/26th Street to 101st Street (Tea Exit) with an Exit at 85th Street.
I am definetly picturing in the future 101st Street becoming the next 57th Street between Solberg and Minnesota Avenue (with retail and offices).

Arrowhead Parkway from SD100 to East Sioux Falls area needs to be widened or fixed for future development too.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM

259 posts, read 815,731 times
Compared to Pennsylvania, South Dakota's roads are in excellent shape. So for me to say a road is terrible it's really gotta be bad. PA has ranked worst or second worst in road conditions for as along as I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>