U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM

106 posts, read 329,248 times

Advertisements

Well as we all know Allegiant is adding service to the Los Angeles area, but now I was looking for flights out of Sioux Falls this summer, and noticed that there are three new flights out of Sioux Falls. 1x Daily to Atlanta, 1x Daily to Salt Lake City, and 1x Daily to Detroit. Now one thing though is that the new Detroit service is replacing the 2x Daily Cincinnati flights, however I do expect to see the Detroit route expanding more in the future. This is amazing news for the Airport!

I am already looking to book a trip on the Detroit flight (as a connection).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,594,284 times
I have heard about the LA connection in the Argus Leader and on KELO and think that it is a good connection. The Detroit and Salt Lake City connections, I was unaware of. I guessing it has to do somewhat with the Delta-Northwest merger and Sioux Falls having both flights. If Sioux Falls can pick up more destinations, that is even better.

I would like to see a discount carrier such as Frontier come. I go to Colorado once or twice a year and would be easier to do a quick weekend if the flights out of Sioux Falls to Denver were a little lower in price and a little more competitive with Omaha. I would like support our airport, but it is hard if Omaha charges a lot less on Denver flights than Sioux Falls.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 PM

19,626 posts, read 9,869,592 times
this is great news. My SIL is presently working in Atlanta.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 PM

I know this is really good news because we are looking at booking a vacation eastward this summer and now we will have other options than just flying through the Twin Cities.

I am hoping for Frontier to start Denver service, and I think it would work out well, I mean Fargo has Frontier and United service to Denver, however, United operates larger planes out of Sioux Falls than in Fargo. I also have family in the southeast, so having Atlanta service back will be great too! I won't have to make double connections! :-( pain in the butt

Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 PM

I would also like to see either American or Continental start service in Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls is somewhat weak with southern destinations. American flights to Dallas-Ft. Worth would be very nice and maybe even St. Louis. Continental has Houston as its hub and this would be another worthy one.

The addition of Atlanta along with other destinations is a start.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 PM

It is, I agree that it would be nice to see American or Continental service to Houston, Dallas, or St. Louis. There is lots of business travelers that go between Sioux Falls (and all of East River) down south for business.

But I for one am still just extremely happy for the new Detroit service and the new Atlanta service.

Don't forget Salt Lake City!

Delta Connection to Atlanta: Begins June 4th
Delta Connection to SLC: Begins June 5th
Northwest Airlink to Detroit: Begins May 2nd
Allegiant Air to Los Angeles: Begins May 20th (Can someone confirm?)

Last edited by fsdflyer; 02-14-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM

50 posts, read 156,985 times
Too bad Southwest doesn't come into Sioux Falls. Then you would see low cost flight into the Dallas, Phoenix, and Atlanta.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 AM

400 posts, read 1,188,278 times
I'd love to see a flight out of SF heading near New Orleans, somewhere within driving distance of NOLA anyway. A couple of months ago I was looking at flight prices and it was over 450$ with two connections. Headaches anyone?? Would love to see something out with direct or only one connection at a better price.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Well the best thing for somewhere close to New Orleans service is to have Continental to Houston or American to Dallas, and then having to take a quick hop over to NOLA. Allegiant Air i think was considering having New Orleans as a new focus city soon, but I don't know if that is going through or not.The only way Southwest would fly to Sioux Falls is if they used smaller jets, which within the next year or two SW might actually consider buying smaller regional jets. If so, that would be amazing news for Sioux Falls because then we might have a chance for Southwest service. The two connections are a pain in the butt! I've done South Carolina-Memphis-Minneapolis-Sioux Falls a couple of times. I have never felt so tired after getting off the plane in Sioux Falls than i have getting off anywhere! Thats why im glad about the Detroit service.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM

The Detroit service would be helpful when flying to destinations in the eastern US. I have a friend in Northern NY that I would like to visit. If I used NWA, I would have to get off in Minneapolis change planes and do the same thing in Detroit before flying to Syracuse. United is a little better with Chicago, but I remember O'Hare being a very massive airport. Interesting expereince to say the least. Going to Orlando from Omaha, I and two other people switched planes at O'Hare and it was not too bad with a two-hour layover and we had to literally run on the way back with a half-hour layover. I venture that I will fly for a second trip due to having a good chunk of the vacation eaten up by the roadtrip planned for May and flying would save time (in normal circumstances).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>