U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 PM

106 posts, read 326,260 times

Advertisements

Found this picture of the Sanford Research Park that they broke ground on last year and will begin working on this spring.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/iamcarterman/SanfordResearchPark.jpg (broken link)
Got this picture off of the Siouxfalls.org website in a brochure of development. Very large development, large retail portion on the south side. I don't think the retail will get that big though since it is going to be kind of close to 41st Street. However, maybe they might be able to get like Applebee's and stores and restaurants like that down there.

Definetly wont see anything until after the economy rebounds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,520,257 times
Thanks for the info, fsdflyer. I think that the research park will go up in stages, which is better in the long run and the retail definitely will come when an exit gets put in and that may be a few years down the road most likely. I have read before that some retail will also be on the west side of the proposed exit in Tea city limits. Tea plans to annex out to I-29.

I think that the retail will not be as extensive as the Empire Mall/41st St. area but may include another Wal-Mart and would be a good location for one along with some shops. Hy-Vee would be smart to locate there also. There may be a few big box stores but not to the extent of the proposed Dawley Farm/Galleria area once that gets filled up. My guess is that when Sanford Reserch park is up and going and the exit is put in, that there would be a half dozen to ten hotels and a number of restaurants and several gas stations.

A mix of budget, midlevel, and high-end hotels would be good. Hotels that may be good include:
Embassy Suites
Hampton Inn and Suites
Sleep Inn or Quality Inn
LaQuinta Inn
Wingate Inn
Super 8 or Days Inn
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
Holdiay Inn Express

Restaurants that would be good to have there: a mix of types (considering interstate and a diversity of people):
-Some local/independents (mexican, chinese, and other ethinics along with family-style restuarants)
-Red Robin
-Mc Donalds
-Quiznos
-On the Border Grill
-Buffalo Wild Wings
-Applebees
-Joe's Crab Shack
-Perkins or Bob Evans
-Steak N Shake
This is a start.

Gas stations
-Kum N Go
-Shell
-BP
-Mobil

Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Thanks for the info, fsdflyer. I think that the research park will go up in stages, which is better in the long run and the retail definitely will come when an exit gets put in and that may be a few years down the road most likely. I have read before that some retail will also be on the west side of the proposed exit in Tea city limits. Tea plans to annex out to I-29.

I think that the retail will not be as extensive as the Empire Mall/41st St. area but may include another Wal-Mart and would be a good location for one along with some shops. Hy-Vee would be smart to locate there also. There may be a few big box stores but not to the extent of the proposed Dawley Farm/Galleria area once that gets filled up. My guess is that when Sanford Reserch park is up and going and the exit is put in, that there would be a half dozen to ten hotels and a number of restaurants and several gas stations.

A mix of budget, midlevel, and high-end hotels would be good. Hotels that may be good include:
Embassy Suites
Hampton Inn and Suites
Sleep Inn or Quality Inn
LaQuinta Inn
Wingate Inn
Super 8 or Days Inn
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
Holdiay Inn Express

Restaurants that would be good to have there: a mix of types (considering interstate and a diversity of people):
-Some local/independents (mexican, chinese, and other ethinics along with family-style restuarants)
-Red Robin
-Mc Donalds
-Quiznos
-On the Border Grill
-Buffalo Wild Wings
-Applebees
-Joe's Crab Shack
-Perkins or Bob Evans
-Steak N Shake
This is a start.

Gas stations
-Kum N Go
-Shell
-BP
-Mobil
It would be nice to see Wingate or Embassy to locate downtown if the new Events Center is built down there.

I would definetly see a new grocery store in this area because there is no grocery store in Sioux Falls specifically south of 69th Street. So it would be VERY smart for a new grocery/supermarket to locate in that area. Its a prime spot because its right next to the interstate, so it would get much exposure.

I'm hoping the Events Center does not get located down there. To much suburban expansion in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,120,781 times
That picture confuses me haha. Are the red things buildings? Are the white things north of it parking lots?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Blue= Research Park Buildings
Red= Commercial/Office Buildings
White= Parking Lots/Roads

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
Blue= Research Park Buildings
Red= Commercial/Office Buildings
White= Parking Lots/Roads
Thanks FSD...
With the stimulus, the 85th Street exit should become a reality!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM

Hopefully, they also widen and resurface I-29 also with the Stimulus money or in the near future.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Hopefully, they also widen and resurface I-29 also with the Stimulus money or in the near future.
I would also really like to see I-29 widened from 41st Street to the 101st Street Exit (Tea Exit). 85th Street is a NECESSITY for the growth of the Sanford Research Park. The city has to construct an exit there and soon.

BTW- If you hear me refer to 101st Street Exit, just remember I'm referring to the Tea Exit. Sorry! Haha its a habit, don't know how i got it though... :-P

Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
I would also really like to see I-29 widened from 41st Street to the 101st Street Exit (Tea Exit). 85th Street is a NECESSITY for the growth of the Sanford Research Park. The city has to construct an exit there and soon.

BTW- If you hear me refer to 101st Street Exit, just remember I'm referring to the Tea Exit. Sorry! Haha its a habit, don't know how i got it though... :-P
I know what you are talking about when you mention the 101st St. exit. In Sioux Falls, there are 16 streets per mile with few exceptions. For example 69th St..85th St. In the planning and growth articles in the Argus Leader, I have seen that road (Tea exit-lived in SF area for most of my life) referred to as 101st St. I often refer to that road as the auto auction road.

I agree with your assessment. A good chuckle on the 101st St. comment.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Here's an excerpt from siouxfalls.org :

"The South Dakota Department of Transportation, in conjunction with the City of Sioux Falls, will hold a public meeting on Thursday, February 26, 2009, to gather public input on the options developed as part of the ongoing I-29 Corridor Study.
The study seeks to determine the future needs of the I-29 corridor from Exit 73 (Tea Exit) to Exit 77 (41st Street). Additional information on the study is available online at the SDDOT Project Development website.
The meeting will be held from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Explorer Elementary School Gymnasium, 4010 West 82nd Street. A presentation will be made at approximately 6:45 p.m."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls