U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM

106 posts, read 329,043 times

Advertisements

I am really getting tired of the Elementary reporting all of the stations in Sioux Falls have. I mean not to be a hater against any of the stations, but if you look at all the stations, KELO has the lead with their "Stories". I repeat, "Stories". Look and watch closely, do you ever notice that KELO rarely reporters Breaking News and things that are happening? I remember flipping back and forth between KSFY and KELO during the US Airways Breaking News of the landing in NYC, and KSFY was doing live reports and had someone in NYC on the phone talking to them and answering their question while Jay Trobec and the Storm Doppler Live HD or whatever it is was talking about the snow we are going to get. I mean I atleast give credit to KSFY for actually getting someone from NYC to talk to them live.

I do not like any of the local stations, KSFY, KELO, or KDLT (which is just hanging on for survival). I honestly think its time that the FOX Affiliate stands up and actual provides the viewing area and the metro with some actual, up to date, modern news, and some real reporting. I don't care if they start off with one 9:00 newscast, but they will grow if they do it right. If KTTW stood up, they could easily beat KDLT, and sadly KDLT could possibly end up having to get rid of its News or just limit it because of all the competition.

I know of many markets that have four news stations that are similar to our size. So I honestly think that if KTTW did enough advertising before their newscasts to get a decent audience (unlike KWSD did when they did a 9 o clock cast), then they could really be competition to KSFY, KELO, and KDLT.

Question is, would you watch the FOX station if they provided DECENT news unlike the other stations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM

71 posts, read 188,232 times
I live in the south central part of the state and watch KELO just for the weather. They are so centered on Sioux Falls that anywhere else is pretty much non-existant to them. We can have major blizzards or storms or any major event and they barely mention it, if at all. But they get 2 inches of snow or they lose electricity for 5 minutes and thats all they talk about in their " Breaking News". The other stations do a little better job but not by much.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,165,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
I am really getting tired of the Elementary reporting all of the stations in Sioux Falls have. I mean not to be a hater against any of the stations, but if you look at all the stations, KELO has the lead with their "Stories". I repeat, "Stories". Look and watch closely, do you ever notice that KELO rarely reporters Breaking News and things that are happening? I remember flipping back and forth between KSFY and KELO during the US Airways Breaking News of the landing in NYC, and KSFY was doing live reports and had someone in NYC on the phone talking to them and answering their question while Jay Trobec and the Storm Doppler Live HD or whatever it is was talking about the snow we are going to get. I mean I atleast give credit to KSFY for actually getting someone from NYC to talk to them live.

I do not like any of the local stations, KSFY, KELO, or KDLT (which is just hanging on for survival). I honestly think its time that the FOX Affiliate stands up and actual provides the viewing area and the metro with some actual, up to date, modern news, and some real reporting. I don't care if they start off with one 9:00 newscast, but they will grow if they do it right. If KTTW stood up, they could easily beat KDLT, and sadly KDLT could possibly end up having to get rid of its News or just limit it because of all the competition.

I know of many markets that have four news stations that are similar to our size. So I honestly think that if KTTW did enough advertising before their newscasts to get a decent audience (unlike KWSD did when they did a 9 o clock cast), then they could really be competition to KSFY, KELO, and KDLT.

Question is, would you watch the FOX station if they provided DECENT news unlike the other stations?
If FOX did have an affiliate here, sure I'd give it a try. As long as it isn't like FOXNews Channel, which is Republican-biased, in my opinion.

I agree KELO and KSFY are really different. And I agree totally. I flip back and forth between them. I often record both the news casts on my DVR.
I like the Breaking News from KSFY, but I like the Eye On KELOLAND segment on KELO.

I think KDLT is basically dead... I don't watch them at all... Maybe I should give them a try?

If a FOX affiliate were to start here, I doubt people would catch on...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,588,878 times
I think that KELO has a very strong presence in the Sioux Falls area and KSFY does a respectable job also. KDLT comes off as a low-budget TV station. If KTTW, the FOX affiliate, did news, it would have to differentiate itself from other TV stations and have its niche to find success in the eastern SD market.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,086,707 times
I like Rapid City's FOX News the best because it comes anhour earlier than CBS, NBC, and ABC. Plus I'm good friends with one of the anchors!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM

464 posts, read 1,296,115 times
DITTO Danny. Fox news is far better than any other in RC. It's more professional, the stories are better written and presented, and the anchors don't stumble their words like beginners.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,086,707 times
Plus, on NBC News Bob Riggio always looks like he's drunk or something. His hair's always messed up and he'll point to Rapid and say "they had a balmy 50 degrees down in Fort Collins today."
And I HATE how Michael Dupre says "legislators"! He elongates the "o" for like a whole minute!

Ugg! Just my rants...

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,165,863 times
hmmm, I didn't know FOX had a news broadcast in Rapid City.
Good topic though, fsdflyer!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,588,878 times
I remember that FOX had broadcasts in other markets and am somewhat surprised they do not here. I know that Colorado Springs/Denver area has a FOX broadcast. If Sioux Falls grows some more, it would definitely be a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>