Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

We lived in Sioux Falls several years ago and like you, knew no one when we got there. There was a group in town for Newcomers amazingly called the "Newcomer's Group". It was a great way to get to know people. I don't know if they are still around but it is worth looking into. We found them through the welcome wagon.

Also, if you belong to a church, that is a good way to meet people. Sioux Falls is the biggest small town you will ever live in. It is a great town, a lot of things to do in town and the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM

42 posts, read 135,496 times
Does anyone have an opinion or general information on the area south of E. 10th St. and east of 229 and the area or the area west of S. Minnesota Ave north of W. 41st and generally south of Augustana? I remember reading somewhere that some parts of SF were prone to some occasional minor flooding, does anyone have any info on this? As before thanks you all very much for the assistance, we have not even been to SF yet but I'm liking it already.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman66 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion or general information on the area south of E. 10th St. and east of 229 and the area or the area west of S. Minnesota Ave north of W. 41st and generally south of Augustana? I remember reading somewhere that some parts of SF were prone to some occasional minor flooding, does anyone have any info on this? As before thanks you all very much for the assistance, we have not even been to SF yet but I'm liking it already.
There are some areas that are considered in the flood plain by FEMA. Some were recently added after they came out with new guidelines as to what is considered the flood plain. The city leaders are working towards raising the levee system in these areas within the next couple years, thus taking many areas out of being designated flood areas and saving homeowners a bundle in homeowners insurance.

Neither areas that you mentioned are in any flood area. These are very nice, mature areas.

The first geographic you asked about are homes built primarily in the late 1950's thru the early 1970's. They are kept up very well.

The area south of Augie to 41st street are also primarily the same age houses. Once again, this is a well kept neighborhood, although there are some mediocre type apartments close to 41st St.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Both are nice areas... well-kept, low crime (of course!).
Sioux Falls, in 2006, had a huge rain event/flash flood. It's what the meteorologists call a "20-year/50-year" rainfall. It did a lot of damage to homes. It doesn't have anything to do with the Big Sioux River, which runs through Sioux Falls.... It was the huge rainfall that overloaded some drains/sewer systems.
The city is fixing those areas.
I can't think of the specific areas where it was hardest hit.... I know 26th & Pendar Lane was bad.
I wouldn't worry about it at all!
I'm trying to find stuff on siouxfalls.org... but it's all in Adobe Reader (.pdf).

Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM

193 posts, read 786,398 times
I am selling a house that is in the NW part of Sioux Falls that is in a wonderful neighborhood full of people in your age-range. I am not a realtor--just a person who is just trying to sell one of our houses. Let me know if you're interested. I think you will absolutely love Sioux Falls. Right now is the BEST time to be in Sioux Falls. Everyone has amnesia and forgets how bad the winter was, and they enjoy all of the summer activities there are to enjoy.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
I am selling a house that is in the NW part of Sioux Falls that is in a wonderful neighborhood full of people in your age-range. I am not a realtor--just a person who is just trying to sell one of our houses. Let me know if you're interested. I think you will absolutely love Sioux Falls. Right now is the BEST time to be in Sioux Falls. Everyone has amnesia and forgets how bad the winter was, and they enjoy all of the summer activities there are to enjoy.
Sounds interesting, if you have a listing or any online info send me a direct message

On a related note, anyone with any inside info for opportunities for experienced biology/ chemistry teachers in the SF area drop me a line as well.

If anyone has good experiences with banks/ mortgage brokers I'd love to have some recommendations Thanks again for all the great info, you are all too kind!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Find Teaching Jobs in South Dakota - the ASBSD's Teacher Placement System (http://teacher.asbsd.org/teacher/index.cfm - broken link)

The above website with the Associated School Boards of SD is a good place to start looking for teaching jobs throughout South Dakota. The school district in Sioux Falls also lists job openings on their website. There currently aren't any job openings listed for biology/chemistry teachers listed on the SF School Dist. website.

I bank at the Sioux Empire Federal Credit Union and like them very much. They have a mortgage division there. I have not dealt with this department since I, thank god, have paid off my mortgage a few years ago. I'd give them a try.

Last edited by jmgg; 06-02-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 PM

Wow, you guys are full of useful info! I can see that your reputation for hospitality is well earned and completely deserved. Does anyone have opinions/ thoughts/ insight on the Tri-Valley and Garretson school districts?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Wow, you guys are full of useful info! I can see that your reputation for hospitality is well earned and completely deserved. Does anyone have opinions/ thoughts/ insight on the Tri-Valley and Garretson school districts?
Tri-Valley is an excellent school district. Tri-Valley is unique in that it is located in the country, and not inside a town. I've always heard great things about it.
Tri-Valley School District 49-6 : Home of the Mustangs ******

I'm sure Garretson is a great school district as well. I don't know anyone that has kids there, so I can't form an opinion.
Garretson! Home of the Blue Dragons!

SD schools are generally top-notch and have great test scores, top graduation rates, and teachers that are well educated and willing to help.

If you visit those school's websites, they are most likely created in a Web Page Development class. I went to a smaller school, and took the Web Page Development class. We actually created a new webpage for the school, and dealt with the whole web site.

So...If it looks subpar and not professional, thats why . Obviously, the Sioux Falls school district will have an up to date, comprehensive, professional-looking web site.

Last edited by MJ1986; 06-02-2009 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM

193 posts, read 786,398 times
Hi fatman--
I also read your post about you and your wife being a little apprehensive of moving to the area since you guys know absolutely no one. I grew up in the area and have found that most people are very excited to have newcomers come to the area. I mentioned the fact that I have a house that I am trying to sell in the NW part of Sioux Falls. I will tell you that we finished it a year ago (my husband and I have been doing construction work for years) and the neighbors were all coming over introducing themselves and chatting for a while. The best sign for you to see (in my opinion) to see whether a neighborhood is stuck up or not, is to see how many garage doors are open. If garage doors are open on the streets you drive down, that means people must be friendly and want to get to know you. If garage doors are closed, people are into themselves too much to be as friendly. When I made this observation, I lived in a neighborhood in SE Sioux Falls where the neighbors all kept to themselves. Of course, this is just my theory, and there are good and bad people and neighbors everywhere in the country.
Keep the questions coming!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls