Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM

43 posts, read 121,447 times

Advertisements

I can't speak about snakes in SF as I've never lived there but they can be found in Rapid. We live almost across from South Middle School for several years and there were many garters there. I also killed 2 rattlers there in the back yard. We live in Box Elder now and I haven't seen any snakes where we live.

Now with all the news about 'Constrictors' (Boas/Pythons) taking over the 'Glades and a recent encounter with a Constrictor a couple of weeks ago in Rapid, I'm beginning to wonder about rather or not the ones that are released might become a problem here too. I was in the barn when I heard Hubby let out his 'blood curdling' "SNAKE" scream, went out to find him, a friend and her 2 girls all up in the back of the pick-up and a 5 - 6 ft snake slithering across the parking lot. Didn't recognize the pattern but it was clearly non poisonious so I just chased it off toward the grass. Did some searching on line that night and it was definately not a native snake but was either a boa or python based on how I remembered the pattern (Didn't think to take a picture of it).

So do any snake expert know if they could survive the winters here by hibernating in hay barn or manure piles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM

4,820 posts, read 6,825,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocatee View Post
I can't speak about snakes in SF as I've never lived there but they can be found in Rapid. We live almost across from South Middle School for several years and there were many garters there. I also killed 2 rattlers there in the back yard. We live in Box Elder now and I haven't seen any snakes where we live.

Now with all the news about 'Constrictors' (Boas/Pythons) taking over the 'Glades and a recent encounter with a Constrictor a couple of weeks ago in Rapid, I'm beginning to wonder about rather or not the ones that are released might become a problem here too. I was in the barn when I heard Hubby let out his 'blood curdling' "SNAKE" scream, went out to find him, a friend and her 2 girls all up in the back of the pick-up and a 5 - 6 ft snake slithering across the parking lot. Didn't recognize the pattern but it was clearly non poisonious so I just chased it off toward the grass. Did some searching on line that night and it was definately not a native snake but was either a boa or python based on how I remembered the pattern (Didn't think to take a picture of it).

So do any snake expert know if they could survive the winters here by hibernating in hay barn or manure piles?
They usually can survive the winter by curling up in your closet or under your bed. Really

Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
Yes, unfortunately those filthy things survive the winters up here. Don't quote me on this, but I believe they possibly hibernate. We did see one out in January one year, but that's rare. The creepy thing died on the sidewalk. EWWWW!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,096,588 times
For the record, snakes do hibernate. Their preferred hibernacula are under concrete slabs (patios, foundations, etc.). They will hibernate in mixed groups - in other words, the groups are made up of several different kinds of snakes, not just one species. Sometimes, if you get a warm spell in the winter, a snake will be alert enough that they will respond to the increase in temperature by attempting to come out and sun themselves to gather the increased warmth, but they will be groggy enough from hibernation that they will probably not respond quickly enough to return to the hibernacula before the temp drops again to below what they are equipped to handle, and they will freeze to death. It's not common, but it happens.

In the spring, when the temps rise enough to wake the snakes, they tend to make a mass exodus from the hibernacula, triggering people to panic and report that they have a "snake infestation." By the time they can get anyone to respond, the snakes are usually gone because they are transient, not resident. Once they wake up, they will get themselves to a location where they can warm up enough, and unless you have a massive local rodent population, they are going to be off somewhere else looking for something to fill their stomach after months of not eating. They don't usually stick around one place in general, or they would be much easier for people to find (think Crocodile Hunter, or any of the other myriad snake-seekers --- they have to *look* for the snakes, because they don't stay in the same place all the time!).

Last edited by no8fann; 07-10-2009 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typos - it

Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 AM

955 posts, read 3,638,153 times
this gives me the creeps!!! I don't mind the snakes at reptile gardens, but out in the real world - no thank you... from the journal today RE: Pierre:

Rapid City Journal | News » Top | Bull snake blackout: Snake blamed for Pierre power outage (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/07/10/news/top/doc4a57457581d3d390293294.txt - broken link)

Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,450,822 times
poor snake. He must have died??

Old 07-10-2009, 01:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,584,578 times
He did die.

Years ago at the ranch, there was a water issue, the issue was there was no water. Head to the well pit. open the over and the smell would knock you over (middle of summer) well it happened was a snake crawled into the electrical box and met his fatal fate.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
Oh gosh, I think someone mentioned the incident in Pierre already, but yesterday it was in our local paper. It's the one about the 3 foot bull hisser getting into the substation and wrapping itself around stuff and causing a blackout. EWWWW, just picturing what it looked like when they found that thing in there.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,584,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh gosh, I think someone mentioned the incident in Pierre already, but yesterday it was in our local paper. It's the one about the 3 foot bull hisser getting into the substation and wrapping itself around stuff and causing a blackout. EWWWW, just picturing what it looked like when they found that thing in there.
Yes and it was in my neighborhood. Well actually its close to breaks of the river, and some of the country is know for the creepy crawly critters.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,307 times
Ok since we are talking about snakes Id like to know about rattle snakes in Custer and Hill City, South Dakota. I have been told that the higher the altitude the fewer snakes any truth to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls