Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,897,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnam View Post
Most South Dakotans definitely have a very detectable accent. It sounds almost Germanic or Canadian, much like that of Minnesotans. I hear all of the time from South Dakotans that they, in fact, do not have an accent and that they speak like national news broadcasters...this is NOT true! Not having a southern accent does not mean that you have NO accent! South Dakotans speak with a long "O" and they tend to drag out the endings of words. I grew up in South Dakota and lost some of the accent after I moved to other parts of the country but it was still detectable by most people I encountered, especially in parts of the country that typically do not have accents, like south Florida. If you grew up in SD, be proud but know that your accent will be noticed but most people outside of the midwest!
Good quote. I agree. I have relatives in Oklahoma and Colorado along with friends in New York state, Oregon, Nebraska, and Arkansas who can easily tell that I have an accent. I have understoood that mine is a dilluted version of a Minnesota accent (not as strong as others). Most South Dakotans have it either strong or in a dilluted form. I notice that it phases out when going further south of Sioux Falls and is less noticeable in Yankton, Vermillion, and Elk Point areas.

My grandpa, who grew up in the German-speaking parts of Northern South Dakota, had a strong mix of German and Minnesota accent and likewise with his siblings and my great-grandparents. The northern accent in South Dakota is very strong up by Mobridge, Aberdeen, Webster, Watertown, and Brookings areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,612 times
Question The Weather

I'm looking at a job offer in Rock Rapids, Iowa and would likely live more towards SF. One huge concern to me is the weather in this part of the country. I have images of snow and cold from that classic movie "Fargo" and, frankly, winter is far from my favorite time of year. What are winters typically like and how do folks cope with them? Any insights would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 AM

10 posts, read 46,401 times
I'm originally from Wisconsin, currently living in Illinois, and soon to be living in the Sioux Falls area. I am also very curious about how long and cold the winters will seem. I spent four years in college near Green Bay, so I can't imagine it can be too much worse than the central Wisconsin area.

There's definitely things I like about winter: Snowfall is really pretty and it's always nice to cozy up inside on a cold winter day. I also love fall and the long change of seasons before winter hits.

Of course, I am like every other human, and as the months pass through January... February... March.... I start to go a little stir-crazy. I also get really sick of bundling up even to do the simplest thing like grab something from the car. Then there's the snow piles... slush... ugh.

All in all, I think I would agree with most people that winter could be shorter, but I think our change of seasons is what makes the Midwest very beautiful and unique. We hike and bike in the summer, and go skiing and snowboarding in the winter. I'm looking forward to seeing how South Dakota compares.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 AM

434 posts, read 682,096 times
Cassnate6259:
Winter is generally here by late November/early December. That doesn't mean you can't have some brutal weather before, but by then winter has pretty much settled in. By mid March, the coldest weather (like subzero highs) are generally gone. It can still be uncomfortable to be outside for extended periods because the wind chill can still be nasty. There is hiking here but it is not like hiking in the mountains. It is pretty flat with rolling hills unless you drive 5 hours to the Black Hills. Biking can be pleasant but the wind blows many days and what seems like a nice bike ride can be a workout when you turn around to come back and realize that the wind WAS pushing you. Summers here are really pleasant for the most part, though. There is some humidity but it is fairly mild when I compare it to the humidity I experienced when I lived in SE Nebraska and Eastern Kansas. The high temperatures don't often get much over the low 90s.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,183,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnate6259 View Post
I'm originally from Wisconsin, currently living in Illinois, and soon to be living in the Sioux Falls area. I am also very curious about how long and cold the winters will seem. I spent four years in college near Green Bay, so I can't imagine it can be too much worse than the central Wisconsin area.

There's definitely things I like about winter: Snowfall is really pretty and it's always nice to cozy up inside on a cold winter day. I also love fall and the long change of seasons before winter hits.

Of course, I am like every other human, and as the months pass through January... February... March.... I start to go a little stir-crazy. I also get really sick of bundling up even to do the simplest thing like grab something from the car. Then there's the snow piles... slush... ugh.

All in all, I think I would agree with most people that winter could be shorter, but I think our change of seasons is what makes the Midwest very beautiful and unique. We hike and bike in the summer, and go skiing and snowboarding in the winter. I'm looking forward to seeing how South Dakota compares.

I lived in extreme eastern Wisconsin most of my life, only about 3 miles from lake michigan, so I'm sure even my winters were mild compared to just 10 miles west because of the lake.

Winter here was a shock at first, as it's quite a bit colder then south-central and south-eastern wisconsin with a tendency for it to dip below zero pretty routinely. Below zero was pretty uncommon where I was for night time lows, and highs were usually in the 20's to 30's with snowmelt that completely melt snow before the next snowstorm. In Brookings, it will not get above freezing from about December to early March enough to melt any meaningful show most of the time and it will get below zero about half the nights in January, with -15 to -30 likely to happen at least once and more likely a dozen nights during the winter. Never had a problem starting the car even at -30 though.

If you live in or south of sioux falls the springs, summers, and falls are pretty much identical to central wisconsin as far as temps go. If you live north of sioux falls around Brookings springs and falls are a bit cooler then central wisconsin. There can be a 10 degree difference in temps between Brookings and Sioux Falls in the late winter, spring and fall. If you head west towards Mitchell it gets warmer overall year around, with more severe thunderstorms in the summer. They tend to be severe out by Mitchell and weaken to just have heavy rain as they move east during the overnight. Not to say there's never severe weather in the extreme east SD, it's just not as common as around Mitchell. By the time you get to pierre, the climate is typically much more arid.

It's not as humid as wisconsin, and there's more wind due to the reduced trees, which can make warm summer days seem much better. I love a good day around 90 when the wind is blowing hard. Fun fun!

Last edited by sholomar; 07-06-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM

16 posts, read 47,290 times
Smile Moving to Brandon

Hello! My husband and I just bought a home in Brandon and I am so excited about moving there! We've made 2 trips to the Sioux Falls area and can hardly wait to get settled in there. We will be coming there in a couple of weeks to set up our utilities accounts, etc.

1) Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anything about this area that we need to be aware of that will help make our transition successful?

2) Is a water filtration/softener system necessary?

3) What about a dehumidifier - I've been told it can get very humid there during the summer?

4) When do you generally get the first snowfall?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 19,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnsky45 View Post
Hello! My husband and I just bought a home in Brandon and I am so excited about moving there! We've made 2 trips to the Sioux Falls area and can hardly wait to get settled in there. We will be coming there in a couple of weeks to set up our utilities accounts, etc.

1) Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anything about this area that we need to be aware of that will help make our transition successful?

2) Is a water filtration/softener system necessary?

3) What about a dehumidifier - I've been told it can get very humid there during the summer?

4) When do you generally get the first snowfall?

Thanks!
1)Your location says Seattle, correct? I have found that the customer service here, be it on the telephone with the cable company, at the window paying your utility bills or even at the county courthouse you're going to have shorter wait times, less time on hold and better attitudes. It's pretty refreshing when compared to bigger cities.

2)Do you like soft water? I don't care for it. The water here isn't too soft or too hard. You shouldn't need a softener unless it's what you're accustomed to. As far as filtration, I've tasted better water in other parts of the country. The tapwater is drinkable, but not fantastic.

3)It gets humid in the summer, but if you run the AC, you won't need a dehumidifier. Sometimes a dehumidifier in your basement isn't a bad idea, but otherwise you shouldn't need it. In the winter, however it can get very dry. My skin gets so dry that my knuckles crack and bleed. A humidifier might be nice in the winter.

4)It would be rare not to get at least an inch or two of snow in the month of October. What's even more ridiculous is that we had a blizzard on my wife's birthday a few years ago. That's April 25th. You might even see a few flurries in May.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,419 times
Default Sioux Falls

Just returned from my 50th High School Reunion. It is a beautiful city. Maybe a photo or two if I can figure out how to do this...

Yea, that's it...

Msmoto aka Fantine of www.fantinesvoice.com
Attached Thumbnails
Impressions of Sioux Falls-dsc_0003.jpg   Impressions of Sioux Falls-dsc_0032.jpg   Impressions of Sioux Falls-dsc_0038.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls