Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,148 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with Banson Court Town homes or east 10th street? Is it a decent area that's suitable for a younger family? We were also looking at the Tea area. Seems to be a lot of newer development and rent seems decent. We are in the military and relocating to Sioux Falls some time between August- October and trying to get a feeling for the general area. We are going to be there for 3 years and we have two small children. One who will be attending preschool and kindergarten while we are there and would like to live in a safe area.
Also I'm trying to get a general feel for how much it will cost to feed a family of 4. We normally spend about $400 a month but that's with using commissary privileges.
Thanks to anyone who is able to help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 PM

509 posts, read 1,345,024 times
To be honest I've never heard much about that particular place but I know its near a high school, Washington High School, and its in a newer, more upscale type neighborhood.....I used to live about 16 blocks to the south and that was a nice neighborhood as well.....the only really bad area is the areas around downtown and those aren't as bad as most other places.....My wife and I spend about $300-$400 a month for just the two of us shopping at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club but you can take that for what's it worth, it just depends on you're eating habits etc....most of the stuff we buy is the same stuff so we don't really deviate from it too much, our big expense is at Sam's Club which every 2 months is over 100 dollars or so for cleaning supplies and some bulk items.....hope that helps a bit....

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,390,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt707 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Banson Court Town homes or east 10th street? Is it a decent area that's suitable for a younger family? We were also looking at the Tea area. Seems to be a lot of newer development and rent seems decent. We are in the military and relocating to Sioux Falls some time between August- October and trying to get a feeling for the general area. We are going to be there for 3 years and we have two small children. One who will be attending preschool and kindergarten while we are there and would like to live in a safe area.
Also I'm trying to get a general feel for how much it will cost to feed a family of 4. We normally spend about $400 a month but that's with using commissary privileges.
Is it Bahnson Court Town Homes maybe? Where are those located?

Like Deadwood said, the only area to avoid is around downtown... Nothing really bad, but I wouldn't live there. Just west of downtown too is sketchy.

Tea would be a great place... Smaller school district...
Tea has a small town feel (technically is a small town)...
Tea has a grocery store, restaurants, convenience stores...

Can't help you with feeding a family of 4... Sorry.

Where are you moving from?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,825,110 times
Not familiar with Bahnson Court either. I do however, recommend Tea. This little town is growing, but growing smart. Lots of new commercial to go with the newer housing. Relatively new school having recently separated from the Lennox school system only about 5 years ago. Thus, there's a real community feel finally having their own independent school system. It's only about 2 1/2 miles between the city limits of Tea and Sioux Falls.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM

106 posts, read 342,970 times
Downtown is so nice, especially with all the new Condos and Lofts that are being created! (Parts Phillips Avenue area), and every part of Sioux Falls is very safe, except just west of Downtown is kind of bad, but it isn't as bad like MJ says. However for a new family, I strongly suggest Tea, Harrisburg, or the northwest side. The northwest side is kind of like Tea, might be just a tad bit more upscale but none the least it is very affordable and reasonable. There is plans for a new Grocery Store on the northwest side of town too. Tea is nice, however Harrisburg is much more taken care of and developed properly. Either way, all parts of Sioux Falls are great! Welcome!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM

230 posts, read 624,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt707 View Post
Recruiter ??

Anyway, I'm Military here as well and I live in a twin home complex on the southwest side of town and my family and I like it very much. We are close to everything we need (5 miles or less) and it's close to work. I guess a lot has to do with how far you want to drive to get back and forth. I like the Tea area, but it has a real small feel to it for me. Guess that depends on where your coming from and what you are use to and how much are you willing to spend in rent.

I can tell you if you have questions, the people on this site are VERY well versed on all things Sioux Falls and will be willing to answer your questions about anything. They did the same for me and my family prior to us moving here a year and a half ago and I still come to the board to talk to them. I've never met a single one on this board (that I'm aware of) but they are like most of the people I have met since getting here, very nice.

Feel free to send a direct message to me if you have something off topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls