Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
To be honest, I think there is a concern in the rest of the world that, if the USA really adopted soccer, then our financial muscle would allow us to dominate the game to the detriment of the rest of the world.

Which, of course, is what the big countries in Europe have been doing to the detriment of the smaller countries.

I dont think money is what would lead us to dominate the game. I think it is our population. The more people you have, the better chance you have at producing more talent.

Tomorrow the US team is taking on a country that has a population the size of the Kansas City metro area. We should be able to hammer a team from that country.

Something else is that other countries develope their players by signing them at 12-13 years old and having them move into their academies. They get their regular school lessons and then the rest of the days are soccer, all day everyday. By the time those players are 18, they have put in more hours playing the game than most of our guys will have when they retire. We do not have that system in place. The MLS teams do have academies but not to the point where the players actually come and live with the team. I am not sure we will ever have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I dont think money is what would lead us to dominate the game. I think it is our population. The more people you have, the better chance you have at producing more talent.

Tomorrow the US team is taking on a country that has a population the size of the Kansas City metro area. We should be able to hammer a team from that country.

Something else is that other countries develope their players by signing them at 12-13 years old and having them move into their academies. They get their regular school lessons and then the rest of the days are soccer, all day everyday. By the time those players are 18, they have put in more hours playing the game than most of our guys will have when they retire. We do not have that system in place. The MLS teams do have academies but not to the point where the players actually come and live with the team. I am not sure we will ever have that.
Good point on the academies. I would add that the college system if applied to soccer would also handicap US teams.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velodrome View Post
To be honest I really don't think the rest of the world has a problem with the US team at all! I actually think there's pretty good will towards the US team, and certainly respect. I think if there is any problem its probably a contradictory mix of actually wanting the US to do pretty well while having a kind of worry that if the US does too well in a world cup that Americans in general will be ungracious and unbearable with it*

You're serious? The US players get batteries, bags of urine, rocks, and other things launched at them whenever they go places. They have bodyguards when traveling out of the country.

Not to mention all the anti-US signs like "Yanks Go Home" or "Down the with Yanks"

We are one of the least popular national teams on the planet.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You're serious? The US players get batteries, bags of urine, rocks, and other things launched at them whenever they go places. They have bodyguards when traveling out of the country.

Not to mention all the anti-US signs like "Yanks Go Home" or "Down the with Yanks"

We are one of the least popular national teams on the planet.
That happens with every team. The fan culture of association football is pretty volatile to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer