Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM

747 posts, read 2,752,299 times

Advertisements

Football/soccer will probably occupy an increasingly larger niche in the collective psyche as it offers Americans something traditionally rare or seen only at the Olympics every 4 years: an opportunity to root for the national team, i.e Team USA.

However, it will be impossible for MLS teams to compete for franchise/club-based attention against the NFL, NBA and MLB (and even college hoops & football). It could compete with the NHL for a distant 4th among professional leagues in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
There will not be a soccer revolution in the USA until we get a genuinely competitive MLS setup. Right now, we have a weird mish-mash between the US college & franchise system and an attempt to get a European style league.

That said, I could see soccer overtaking Hockey but not NFL, baseball or basketball because the intensity of competition is not there.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 AM

81 posts, read 229,473 times
I dont think so.

Listening to some of the sports commentators say things like "we sent a sub-par team to the world cup and they kicked your asses to show you we are the best at everything. Soccer occupies your lives yet we still beat you" its just baffling. I have heard this several times after games from different radio sports commentators...if thats the message and attitude nothing will change. they keep mentioning the US doesnt need football since they have the NFL, basketball etc...makes no sense to me

Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 AM

93 posts, read 115,825 times
the manner/narrative of the games so far are pretty important here, doing it the hard way, overcoming bad refeering and disallowed goals, last minute goals, the huge build up of tension, going out all the way, until the release of pressure in the last seconds....its this kind of stuff that gets people hooked more than a simple victory or defeat (and here's a game that shows how a 1-0 can be exciting - how that actually works)

lasting interest in my opinion still requires a stronger domestic league, identification with a national team is not in itself enough

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,406,804 times
Americans already follow 4 team sports + auto racing and golf. It's hard to believe we are too saturated to like one more sport, especially one that the rest of the world loves more than any other.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM

568 posts, read 1,203,298 times
I've heard it said that it's difficult to promote soccer here in the US because the lack of time-outs during games, which means it can't usually be on TV since there's not much room for advertisement. If it's not on tv, it's hard for people to get into it.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM

335 posts, read 937,143 times
Yea I think it is mostly bandwagon jumping unfortunately. I played here for 17+ years and my parents are soccer fanatics, watching EPL and MLS regularly. We have a local team here in a lower league (name of league escapes me now) and it is a lot of fun! But I don't think it will last on a national level.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,412,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Americans already follow 4 team sports + auto racing and golf. It's hard to believe we are too saturated to like one more sport, especially one that the rest of the world loves more than any other.
Good analysis. I think so as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I've heard it said that it's difficult to promote soccer here in the US because the lack of time-outs during games, which means it can't usually be on TV since there's not much room for advertisement. If it's not on tv, it's hard for people to get into it.
Well, that's a different yet valid perspective. That's also where it's more fun to watch, less stoppage (lack of time outs). As for your last statement, you're right about that. It needs to be on TV on a more consistent basis.

I, for one think it will eventually gain more momentum in this country as time goes by.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Four words: North American Soccer League.

Next case!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
If the interest is there then it will get on to TV and the advertisers will figure a way to make it work for them. Advertisers follow public interest not the other way around.

The problem is how do you get public interest. It isn't hard for the World Cup which happens every 4 years and we all want to see our national team do well. But getting it on a week by week basis is much harder and the MLS structure, IMHO, will not do it because, ultimately, there is nothing to play for. In Europe, teams are playing for promotion, relegation, European places or just because you really hate the team next door. The MLS needs to figure out a way to make soccer matter to ordinary people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer