Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times

Advertisements

I've been following soccer since the 1994 world cup, and I can honestly say that I've never seen so many people into the sport like they are now. Even my former soccer basher friends are calling me on a regular basis asking me various questions about the sport; about MLS, the Champions Leage, Premier League, etc... The tv ratings are remarkable to say the least...nearly 70 percent higher than the previous world cup.

So...my question is, are we witnessing a soccer revolution here? Do you think the popularity of MLS and soccer in general is going to be bolstered because of the massive popularity of the world cup? Or, is this just another case of American bandwagonism???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've been following soccer since the 1994 world cup, and I can honestly say that I've never seen so many people into the sport like they are now. Even my former soccer basher friends are calling me on a regular basis asking me various questions about the sport; MLS, Champions Leage, Premier League, etc... The tv ratings are remarkable to say the least...nearly 70 percent higher than the previous world cup.

So...my question is, are we witnessing a soccer revolution here? Do you think the popularity of MLS and soccer in general is going to be bolstered because of the world cup? Or, is this just another case of American bandwagonism???
I think that there will definitely be an upswing in the number of soccer fans - but it won't be a revolution. MLS still has a ways to go before it seen as a mainstream sport. However, I do see MLS getting there sooner than some people might expect (ie: never).

Also, quite a few of these spectators are indeed bandwagoners.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 PM

57 posts, read 47,949 times
i hope this is a revolution
it was about time america recognize

Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've been following soccer since the 1994 world cup, and I can honestly say that I've never seen so many people into the sport like they are now. Even my former soccer basher friends are calling me on a regular basis asking me various questions about the sport; about MLS, the Champions Leage, Premier League, etc... The tv ratings are remarkable to say the least...nearly 70 percent higher than the previous world cup.

So...my question is, are we witnessing a soccer revolution here? Do you think the popularity of MLS and soccer in general is going to be bolstered because of the massive popularity of the world cup? Or, is this just another case of American bandwagonism???
I started paying attention to soccer after signing my kids to AYSO around 1996. I now consider myself a regular fan with enough curiosity to have an interest in the details of the sport.

Unfortunately, I cannot give MLS any credit for my curiosity. It mostly comes as a result of the Spanish Leagues (i.e., La Liga); more specifically FC Barcelona. The UEFA Euro Cup has also contributed to my interest.

To my great pleasure, I got to watch two live world class matches in 2009 at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in California. The first was between Chelsea vs Inter-Milan. The second? FC Barcelona vs L.A. Galaxy. And yes, I did witness David Beckham "bend it" and score a goal. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Aside from Euro teams, I'ill watch a few games from lower South American countries such as Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brazil.

Note of interest...though I grew up playing and watching baseball, I have lost all interest in this sport. It has been completely replaced by soccer.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think any time there is a large world event like this (especially when we compete in it), there will be interest.

Just keep in mind...worldwide, the last world cup (2006) had about 260 million viewers.
Why Fifa's claim of one billion TV viewers was a quarter right - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

The last Superbowl had over 105 million viewers.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
After Saturday (if we lose), I think Americans will go back to concentrating on MLB, NFL, etc etc. This reminds me of the Olympics where everyone seems to be talking about the games, but as soon as the final ceremony - forgotten.

You'd think the sport would become a staple in USA since most kids since the 1980s probably were exposed to the game in some way or another - and now those kids are adults.

I lived in Europe for 20 yrs, went to my share of Bundesliga games in Germany - and still can't really get into the sport.

NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA, and a little NHL for me.

Americans have too many sports to choose from - throw in NASCAR, Indy and Formula One, professional tennis - I see why soccer hasn't taken on in the USA.

Many countries only have soccer. We have a ton of other sports to follow.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
I've only been paying attention to the World Cup since 2002, but I feel like every World Cup the media makes a story about this being the World Cup that puts soccer on the map in the US. Maybe this one will be different.

I do know that the game yesterday was epic. We ended up watching the second half in a small sandwich shop next to an overpacked soccer bar.

I don't know if every person coming into that sandwich shop had the intent to watch the game, but by the end, everyone was glued to the tv. When they finally scored, everyone was cheering very loudly. Never seen anything like that.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Only have soccer? That's not the case, at least not in Europe.

I'm from Norway. Winter sports are huge here, especially cross-country skiing, ski jumping, biathlon and alpine skiing. Ice hockey is quite popular as well. The same goes for motorsports, especially rallying.

Handball got many fans.

Road bicycle racing, like Tour de France, is very popular.

F1 is more popular in Europe. All the largest countries (Spain, England, Italy, Germany) got their own race. Touring car racing and WRC are also very popular.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
okay, how about third world countries like in Central America and Algeria, and poorer countries like Ghana and Portugal - do those countries have many other sports other than foosball?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
My sense is that soccer is on a slow ascent in this country. So, no, there's not a "revolution" going on, rather many are simply rooting for the USA. I think soccer could eventually get on par with the NHL, but it will not overtake the NFL, MLB or NBA in our lifetimes, and probably not our children's lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer