Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd like to have a serious conversation about this
Does US media promote hate against soccer?

Sometimes I watch ESPN and other sports news on other channels.
And they show fishing, cheerleading, curling, spelling bee, World's strongest man (2-3 year old videos), etc, etc.

And I don't hear anybody complaining about that,
but when it comes to soccer..... the US media refuses to say anything positive and highlights absolutely anything negative about soccer.

I'm 100% convinced that the US media promotes hate against soccer by ignoring all the great positive things about the World Cup and only talking about negative things (soccer ball, vuvuzelas, high crime and AIDS in South Africa, etc).
I have watched some games on ESPN and actually I disagree with you.

The one thing they tend to complain is about the refs being like Gods, making decisions that could be easily verified by replay like the Goal the stole from England or the offside from Argentina. That actually bothers most soccer fans(well at least the loser teams).

Also those players crying like girls on the floor every time someone touches them is annoying and a turn off to the "macho" American culture(in my opinion toughness is highly regarded in the USA unlike Europe or Latin America where men are more "sensible" and crybabies) I would fix that by doing a replay and giving them a red car so they can stop those drama queen performances.

So far my favorite Ref decision was in the Portugal vs Brazil match, when Duda got a yellow card for insisting on a red car against the Brazilian player. That was priceless, a Kodak moment

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 06-28-2010 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Interesting opinon, but I think the whole "toughness" thing is little overrated.

Go to Southern France, Northern England, Southern Italy....those are some crusty, blue collar type fans there, and they all watch soccer!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Yo, Dopo, it's exactly the opposite. Media in the United States tries to hype soccer any way possible. (The funny part of the deal is that they actually think they're going to convert us into a soccer nation. That's fine--it's amusing to watch them bang their heads into a brick wall over and over again).

Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Yeah, the local pub had 'stab a foreigner' specials during the match

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yo, Dopo, it's exactly the opposite. Media in the United States tries to hype soccer any way possible. (The funny part of the deal is that they actually think they're going to convert us into a soccer nation. That's fine--it's amusing to watch them bang their heads into a brick wall over and over again).

No, they dont. As a soccer fan I can tell you that soccer doesnt get it's fair shake. It may not seem that way right now because of the WC but normally it does not get enough coverage.

In Kansas City, we get updates on what color the Chiefs players **** is but the Wizards games get stuck on the back page.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, they dont. As a soccer fan I can tell you that soccer doesnt get it's fair shake. It may not seem that way right now because of the WC but normally it does not get enough coverage.

In Kansas City, we get updates on what color the Chiefs players **** is but the Wizards games get stuck on the back page.
Piffle. It's not the media's job to generate interest in soccer, that's the job of the soccer leagues and organizations. If the Wizards can't get themselves off the back page, that's their problem, not the media's. The reason why the Chiefs get 50x the coverage is because they generate 50x the interest. That's not the media's fault. The media makes money by delivering content people want. If people wanted more soccer coverage, they'd get it.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
I'm no soccer basher but this is true. But then it's a team fighting for a chance to play in the SUPER BOWL. Not to mention you also have the Royals and the Jayhawks.

In the US only teams that I have seen get decent coverage in local news media are Sounders (surprisingly popular) and to a lesser extent DC united (not as much these days cause they stink and even then the Capitals hockey team are way ahead these days). I think Columbus is like the only pro team in Central Ohio but that place is DOMINATED by the collegiate Ohio State Buckeyes.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I think Columbus is like the only pro team in Central Ohio .....
Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer