Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 AM

364 posts, read 483,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
No, the reasons why soccer won't ever be as popular in the US are twofold:

1) The money. Players in baseball, basketball, and hand-egg (er ... American football) make many multiples of players in the major soccer league in the US. The truly exceptional players in the US are world-class, but they quickly get scooped up by the deep-pocketed football (er, soccer) clubs of Europe. If I was a talented athlete that didn't have a devotion to one game or another, the last game I'd choose is football (er, soccer, not hand-egg).

2) People from the Deep South who value hand-egg over primary education and NASCAR and Gawd and coontry will never want to watch something that is beyond their comprehension.
I thought the thread topic was stupid, but this takes the cake. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
They have had plenty of soccer leagues througout the years in the US, I even think Pele played a few years in the US when he was ancient. Soccer is not a viewer friendly sport, thats the main problem. I don't consider the low scoring to be the problem, hockey has lower scoring but its packed with action, while you can have an entire soccer where nothing happens. The closest a team can come to scoring is a shot 20 feet wide or high of the net. The player base is too international too, how could someone from Kansas City want to root for a team full of people from Chile or Colombia?
We have players from Hungary, Guadalope, Columbia, Jamacia, England, and many other countries on the Wizards and we sell out nearly every game and have a 175 million dollar stadium opening next June.

If the sport is so unfriendley for viewing then why is it the most popular sport on earth? Why is the WC the most watched thing on TV?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I was thinking that, I think there would be even a more foreign presence though, bordering on hockey levels. Soccer players seem to be more arrogant and cockier then players from others sports, making them less likable to the average American.
Really? Would it be because of the celebrations - like pulling out a sharpie, or cell phone to celebrate? Or the bright lights, smoke filled entrances? Oh, oops, those would be the "other" sports. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of many sports, but you are obviously clueless about this sport. The more you post, the less credible you become.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I was thinking that, I think there would be even a more foreign presence though, bordering on hockey levels. Soccer players seem to be more arrogant and cockier then players from others sports, making them less likable to the average American.
Are you serious? Do you watch American football? Hell you are from Philly and had TO on your team.

American football players are by far the most arrogant athletes on the planet. Anytime they do something on the field you would think they won the Championship. They celebrate like crazy for doing their job.

Soccer celebrations are low key and many players simply grab the ball out of the net and go back to the middle of the field for kickoff.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Are you serious? Do you watch American football? Hell you are from Philly and had TO on your team.

American football players are by far the most arrogant athletes on the planet. Anytime they do something on the field you would think they won the Championship. They celebrate like crazy for doing their job.

Soccer celebrations are low key and many players simply grab the ball out of the net and go back to the middle of the field for kickoff.
Also, for being the "most arrogant," soccer players are the only athletes I see making a routine habit of applauding/thanking the crowd after the game.....which includes players on the losing end of the match. Talk about sportsmanship (along with trading jerseys, shaking hands, etc).

I think that's something worthy of noting, let alone just being the defense of "most arrogant" athletes.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
Also, for being the "most arrogant," soccer players are the only athletes I see making a routine habit of applauding/thanking the crowd after the game.....which includes players on the losing end of the match. Talk about sportsmanship (along with trading jerseys, shaking hands, etc).

I think that's something worthy of noting, let alone just being the defense of "most arrogant" athletes.

Yep, you're on the money. The Wizards players in KC always go thank the crowd and give autographs after games. The times I have traveled for away games, players came over and thanked us for traveling to watch them even when they lost.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM

507 posts, read 878,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG4251 View Post
What do baseball, football, and basketball have in common? They have multiple stops in action throughout the course of a game and match. These allow for commercials and Billions of dollars in revenue per year. Unless soccer is adapted to this format it will never work here.

Not to mention the refs are totally corrupt !

Old 07-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Not to mention the refs are totally corrupt !
4 threads and counting...the same nonspecific stupidity, almost word for word. We get it; you're a troll.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:40 PM

507 posts, read 878,515 times
No , just not drinking the kook-aid on soccer as legit game-it ain'i its MASSIVELY corrupt as anyone who l,ooks can see.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
No , just not drinking the kook-aid on soccer as legit game-it ain'i its MASSIVELY corrupt as anyone who l,ooks can see.
Nah, your team just got their asses handed to them. Every player on the field for Germany spent their time chasing Spain. Mueller wouldn't have made much of a difference. Not one player could keep up with Spain. They were awesome. Man up and admit it. Congrats Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer