Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,881,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Soccer for me is a lot like golf or ping-pong: a lot more interesting to play than to spectate. I actually played organized soccer for 7 years and I still can't sit through an entire game as a spectator.
dont be stupid, if you knew anything about 'soccer' you would find it entertaining, dont compare it to golf and ping pong, its the biggest spectator sport in the WORLD! so all them people cant be wrong, america will never fully get it, especially if you get people like you, with comments like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,505,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
dont be stupid, if you knew anything about 'soccer' you would find it entertaining, dont compare it to golf and ping pong, its the biggest spectator sport in the WORLD! so all them people cant be wrong, america will never fully get it, especially if you get people like you, with comments like that
And comments like yours remind me of why so many Americans can't stand soccer fans.

If you like soccer, that's your business. I'm similarly entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to kiss my ass if you don't like it.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
And comments like yours remind me of why so many Americans can't stand soccer fans.

If you like soccer, that's your business. I'm similarly entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to kiss my ass if you don't like it.
i dont care if america 'cant stand it' its the worlds most popular spectator sport and its the sport that the most people play, the planet has other countries than america, and every other country loves it, so that makes me think its the most enjoable sport, as for america you can like your crap sports all you want doesnt put me up or down! and i have tried to watch baseball and american football, they are the most boring sports on earth! and ill pass on kissing your ass, not in to that, nothing against gays, you are who you are, you can do what you want.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,580,194 times
Quote:
.... and every other country loves it....
Not true, actually. Canada probably loves it less than the U.S., and I can think of several countries where's it's not #1 (Japan, for example). But I digress.....

Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Not true, actually. Canada probably loves it less than the U.S., and I can think of several countries where's it's not #1 (Japan, for example). But I digress.....
10 most popular sports in the world

The world's Top 10 most popular team sports - Sportingo (http://www.sportingo.com/all-sports/a11587_worlds-top-most-popular-team-sports - broken link)

maybe its not number one in japan, but its HUGELY popular. and the second most popular, with i am not a big fan of (better than baseball though) is cricket, third is basketball, witch in my opinion is the best (maybe not most popular) sport in america

Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,580,194 times
Quote:
10 most popular sports in the world

The world's Top 10 most popular team sports - Sportingo (http://www.sportingo.com/all-sports/a11587_worlds-top-most-popular-team-sports - broken link)

maybe its not number one in japan, but its HUGELY popular. and the second most popular, with i am not a big fan of (better than baseball though) is cricket, third is basketball, witch in my opinion is the best (maybe not most popular) sport in america
Nice info, but not my point. I was picking at your wording that "every other country loves it." That's simply not true. No doubt it's the most popular sport in the world, but it's not universally loved.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM

still the MOST loved though

Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,505,032 times
Quote:
still the MOST loved though
Why is that so important to soccer fans anyway? I swear you lot are the most insecure bunch around. It usually boils down to either "if you don't like soccer you're a poopoohead" or "it's the most loved sport in the world so why can't you Americans love it too?" Is American acceptance of something really that important to you? Does it change your own appreciation for soccer one way or the other?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,988,432 times
Some Americans like soccer

Some Don't

(I wish we could just leave it at that, but since people like to pump their chests over a damn game, we can't)

To Americans who DON'T like soccer:
- It is the most popular sport in the world, so don't get pissed or surprised when people from other countries (other than Canada and Australia) look at you funny when you say you don't like it.
- Soccer isn't a "weak" sport for "wusses". Have the same amount of respect you would for any other sport since it takes an extreme amount of training and endurance to be able to handle running up and down a field for 90+ minutes, only using your legs
- You don't HAVE to like soccer, but don't be so pompus and intollerable (and ignorant as hell) to the game that's loved by most of the country just because of what sport it is. There's a reason why it's number 1 in the world and why there's a world tournament for it every four years...

To Americans who DO like soccer:
- In this country, it's NOT the most popular sport. It hasn't been and it'll be a long time before it's on the level of the NFL, if it even happens.
- In America, it's called 'soccer'. Deal with it..... BTW, the word 'soccer' wasn't even created in this country. It was coined in Europe as a sort of shortened version of "asSOCiation football". And guess what, America's not the only country that calls it that. Canada, Australia, even in Europe sometimes it's not called football. So don't get red in the face because it's known as something else (chances are, this one goes out to the people who moved to this country...)
- In a country where you have football, baseball, basketball, softball, hockey, tennis, golf, NASCAR, Indy racing, Track and Field, a bunch of other sports I can't name at this time, and other sports that are being created as we speak, it shouldn't be that hard to understand why it's not #1 here. Sports are just too diverse for THE most popular sport in the world to instantly be #1 here. And American's don't have to like or care for the sport. They may be ignorant or just completely idiotic, but they have the right of choice, and their choice for #1 ISN'T soccer....

Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Why is that so important to soccer fans anyway? I swear you lot are the most insecure bunch around. It usually boils down to either "if you don't like soccer you're a poopoohead" or "it's the most loved sport in the world so why can't you Americans love it too?" Is American acceptance of something really that important to you? Does it change your own appreciation for soccer one way or the other?
it is not important, just telling it how it is, it is a fact that in 90% of the world no other sport comes close to footall, doesn't really matter if most of America doesn't like it, but that is what the thread is about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer