Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Soccer is a child's game with miles of running around in scanty shorts trying to sneak up behind someone and trip them.
As opposed to grown men running around in tights trying to sneak up behind someone and hug them to the ground?

And, by the way...I ALWAYS hear about NFL players sitting out games because of injured fingers. INJURED FINGERS! hahaha!

Sorry, but if you really want to nit pick at things the NFL doesnt exactly sound like the big bad manly sport you are trying to make it out to be. You can pick out things in ANY sport or ANY activity to make it seem "girly" or whatever...

Old 07-03-2010, 04:34 PM

615 posts, read 545,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
American football= 3 hours of commercial breaks and standing around. Very very borning. I have been forced to go to a few NFL and numerous college football games (i live right across the street from a D-1 stadium) and have tried and tried to get into it but, I simply can't stand the watching "athletes" stand around for hours and hours. Soccer has constant action, no commercial breaks (escept for 15 min. at halftime), great athletes (60 percent of NFL players are disgistingly fat, and not to mention all the thugs and felons that infest the NFL). And, in the grand scheme of things, nobody really cares about American football (it is popular in one whole country).
This is retarded beyond words. Soccer players stand around most of the game too, there is a huge misconception that soccer players run around for 90 minutes straight. Most of the players are off the ball standing around, and someone is always getting hurt every few minutes and play is stopped.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
As opposed to grown men running around in tights trying to sneak up behind someone and hug them to the ground?

And, by the way...I ALWAYS hear about NFL players sitting out games because of injured fingers. INJURED FINGERS! hahaha!

Sorry, but if you really want to nit pick at things the NFL doesnt exactly sound like the big bad manly sport you are trying to make it out to be. You can pick out things in ANY sport or ANY activity to make it seem "girly" or whatever...
Yes, humans have hands. And fingers. REAL sports require the use of them!

Four words for you: Vu Vu Ze La....

Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
This is retarded beyond words. Soccer players stand around most of the game too, there is a huge misconception that soccer players run around for 90 minutes straight. Most of the players are off the ball standing around, and someone is always getting hurt every few minutes and play is stopped.
Numerous studies have shown that in a 3 hour plus NFL game only 11 minutes of actual playing takes place. 11 minutes! Divide that by 2, and maybe tack off 1 minute for special teams plays and the average big time NFL star player only plays for about 5 minutes per game. That is assuming they are not being sustituted for the entire game which is a regular occurrence in American football. Bash soccer all you want, but 11 minutes of playing and 3 hours of nothing is the reason why the vast majority of the world finds American football pathetic.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Bash soccer all you want, but 11 minutes of playing and 3 hours of nothing is the reason why the vast majority of the world finds American football pathetic.
Pathetic, possibly; frightening, certainly. Few Euros, I would argue, would dare to go man-to-man with an NFL cornerback even for a split-second; conversely, few American athletes would fear running about in shorts for a few hours, kicking at an oversized volleyball while being harrassed by gesticulating thespians...

Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM

615 posts, read 545,135 times
Quote:
Numerous studies have shown that in a 3 hour plus NFL game only 11 minutes of actual playing takes place. 11 minutes! Divide that by 2, and maybe tack off 1 minute for special teams plays and the average big time NFL star player only plays for about 5 minutes per game. That is assuming they are not being sustituted for the entire game which is a regular occurrence in American football. Bash soccer all you want, but 11 minutes of playing and 3 hours of nothing is the reason why the vast majority of the world finds American football pathetic.
90% of soccer is each team kicking the ball between teammates, so what is your point? You have some players on the soccer field that are 40 to 60 yards away from the action. Modern day soccer is hardly even a sport, its more like a game of chess using humans, it all about space and tactics. You got one side waiting for the other side to make a mistake, its not exactly the most entertaining thing in the world to watch. Teams that play an attacking style are a rairty, and even then they can be shut down with the right technique imployed by a much lesser talented team. Spain is one of the best soccer teams in the world, and they spend most of the game passing the ball back and forth to each other without attacking. In football the game isn't over 90% of the time the other team scores first either, which makes it more competitive and entertaining. You can go into a soccer match almost knowing another team can't score, if they get one goal they are doing real good, to get two goals they need to be real ****ing lucky, it just doesn't make for a good spectator sport. The world cup is different though, because it has the best players and a lot of emotion.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,816 times
I love football (soccer) haters, funny and ridiculous a bit like Liechtenstein one day declaring war on the USA. keep it up

Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Well...i'm not going to sit here and argue this back and forth. We will have to agree to disagree. Bottom line is I can't stand sports with stoppages in play every 5 seconds, and commercial breaks every 7-10 minutes. It simply kills the flow of the game for me.. Give me soccer, hockey, rugby, and aussie football any day over the constant stop and go, stand around with our hands on our hips sports.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
90% of soccer is each team kicking the ball between teammates, so what is your point? You have some players on the soccer field that are 40 to 60 yards away from the action. Modern day soccer is hardly even a sport, its more like a game of chess using humans, it all about space and tactics. You got one side waiting for the other side to make a mistake, its not exactly the most entertaining thing in the world to watch. Teams that play an attacking style are a rairty, and even then they can be shut down with the right technique imployed by a much lesser talented team. Spain is one of the best soccer teams in the world, and they spend most of the game passing the ball back and forth to each other without attacking. In football the game isn't over 90% of the time the other team scores first either, which makes it more competitive and entertaining. You can go into a soccer match almost knowing another team can't score, if they get one goal they are doing real good, to get two goals they need to be real ****ing lucky, it just doesn't make for a good spectator sport. The world cup is different though, because it has the best players and a lot of emotion.
I agee. I enjoy watching the World Cup. It's always instructive to watch nationalism and poor sportsanship being displayed on a world stage. And this year's rendition has the mindless moronic plastic horns to deafen and stupify the fans, to boot.

Viva el futbol! I keek a touchdown!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:38 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
American Football: Waaaaaay too many rules and padding; Too many stopped clocks. Does not exactly produce -- overall -- excellent physical specimens b/c way too much time is spent waiting around. Would not recommend this sport for my kid b/c too much time spent "playing" the game and not enough spending time getting aerobic exercise.

Soccer: Fast-paced, exciting, simple rules everyone can understand; goes to a depth beyond the sport -- geo-politics, different styles of play depending on the country, region, etc. Would recommend to my kid, b/c get a lot of exercise in a short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer