Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,935,813 times

Advertisements

Those horns are blowing non-stop. Are other FIFA world cups like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,020,007 times
EVERYBODY!!! I wish they had banned them!.... This is the 1st World Cup I can remember that has these horns....

Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,674,814 times
Yet another reason for hating the silly game of soccer. Yawn!!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Yet another reason for hating the silly game of soccer. Yawn!!
I don't hate the game. I just think that it's annoying to listen to, kind of like having a mosquito buzzing in your ears. I'd hate to be the person to spend $$ to buy a seat there and sitting around the ppl blowing their horns away.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,232,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Those horns are blowing non-stop. Are other FIFA world cups like that?
Horns? What horns?

They have been an issue for the last year. We were introduced to them during the Confederations Cup last year, but as LLN said, it's nothing more than yet another reason to hate soccer, and then I guess he took a nap or something. For all you soccer haters, crawl back under your rock, you have 4 long years to sleep it off. For those of us who don't, the MLS is in full swing and the Euro leagues start soon, with or without the horns. It's strange, but I cannot stand baseball, still I have yet to be drawn to a baseball forum to tell the baseball fans that their sport is boring, and give reasons for hating it. Must be just me, but I simply don't care what other people may be doing with their spare time, but then again, i love broccoli as well. South Africa held a great World Cup. Spain won it all (was glad to see it), and the horns will be nothing more than a footnote. Annoying? Yes. Destructive? Not really. Unless they are keeping people like LLN from getting their beauty sleep. In that case let me be clear, CHANGE THE CHANNEL. Not a tough concept.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Horns? What horns?

They have been an issue for the last year. We were introduced to them during the Confederations Cup last year, but as LLN said, it's nothing more than yet another reason to hate soccer, and then I guess he took a nap or something. For all you soccer haters, crawl back under your rock, you have 4 long years to sleep it off. For those of us who don't, the MLS is in full swing and the Euro leagues start soon, with or without the horns. It's strange, but I cannot stand baseball, still I have yet to be drawn to a baseball forum to tell the baseball fans that their sport is boring, and give reasons for hating it. Must be just me, but I simply don't care what other people may be doing with their spare time, but then again, i love broccoli as well. South Africa held a great World Cup. Spain won it all (was glad to see it), and the horns will be nothing more than a footnote. Annoying? Yes. Destructive? Not really. Unless they are keeping people like LLN from getting their beauty sleep. In that case let me be clear, CHANGE THE CHANNEL. Not a tough concept.
lighten up dude. Admittedly, I'm in the habit of computer surfing with the TV going on in the background. The constant blaring sound made me put the TV on mute. I'm sure that being at a worlds' cup is a wonderful thing to do. I don't particularly like the lack of goals (makes it boring) and the lack of commercials (to relieve myself, cook, etc). I appreciate that so many of the soccer players are really easy on the eyes and totally hot! We never get to admire hotness with american football since they are all covered up. These teams were extremely talented and great eye candy to boot

Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM

615 posts, read 542,164 times
A lot of soccer apologist were claiming this is part of the soccer "culture" in Africa. I wonder is playing pin the tail on the donkey and hide go seek are part of the soccer "culture" too there?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,356,987 times
Thank God we don't have to hear them again!

I don't know anyone who DIDN'T think the vuvuzelas weren't annoying. And to top it off, its only been in "African football culture" since 2001.

World Cup: Get real, FIFA, the vuvuzela is about as traditional in Africa as the iPod | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times
Vuvuzela 2010: Plastic horn industry explodes in China | News In Brief | Marketplace from American Public Media (http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/business-news-briefs/2010/06/vuvuzela_2010_plastic_horn_ind.html - broken link)

Yeah, good job FIFA! World Cup FAIL!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:50 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,232,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
lighten up dude. Admittedly, I'm in the habit of computer surfing with the TV going on in the background. The constant blaring sound made me put the TV on mute. I'm sure that being at a worlds' cup is a wonderful thing to do. I don't particularly like the lack of goals (makes it boring) and the lack of commercials (to relieve myself, cook, etc). I appreciate that so many of the soccer players are really easy on the eyes and totally hot! We never get to admire hotness with american football since they are all covered up. These teams were extremely talented and great eye candy to boot
Please don't get me wrong, my comments (aside from the the horn stuff) were not directed at you. You did not bad mouth the sport and give me reasons why I should abandon it based on your own personal dislike for the game. I undersatand that, and thanks. My shot was directed at (now several) posters here that never miss a chance to rise up and use something like the vuvuzelas as a another reason as to why Americans don't like or don't get the game of soccer. Many of us do. A great number of us. People seem to come out of the woodwork during the World's Cup to make sure they let us know how silly we (the supporters of the game) are for trying to catch as many of the games in the month long tournament. The tournament that only comes around a few times each decade. It is a pretty big deal for some of us. If that makes us a loser or a dork to someone who thinks that Ron Artest is a model citizen, then so be it. That's about as far as I will go to poke a shot at another (loved by others) sport. Just don't understand the outright, go out of your way, shout from the rooftops hate for the game of soccer. Once again, most of you have a remote. But for the most part, most of the haters do at some point slip and say "well I don't really understand the game", bingo. Throw that guy a fish!
If you watched with the sound down, and for the reason of trolling for man candy, hell, at least you were watching! Good for you. Check out the EPL and La Liga this fall. Many more where those came from. Have a great night!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,293,219 times
After a while, I just got used to the vuvuzelas and tuned it out. It's the African thing to do, so why complain about their custom? Yeah it might be recent, but they still do their thing.

It's just something the soccer haters and newbies to the sport can complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer