Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM

275 posts, read 978,373 times

Advertisements

Mexico: San Luis

Spain: Real Sociedad, my great grandfather was the president long time ago!

MLS: I dont follow any club, i really dont like too much because the franchise model business is out of the real identity of futbol. I symphatize with the crew because of the colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
MLS: I dont follow any club, i really dont like too much because the franchise model business is out of the real identity of futbol. I symphatize with the crew because of the colors.
The franchise model protects the entire entity and regulates growth of the league.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
I used to hate the franchise style of MLS, but this post does a great job explaining why a laissez-faire confederation of clubs couldn't work for US soccer.

//www.city-data.com/forum/socce...l#post14759887

Think of it this way: In Major League Baseball, the Yankees have won five championships in my lifetime (I'm 21), and people complain that they "win every year" and "buy all the championships". In that same period, Manchester United have one eleven English football titles.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 AM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I used to hate the franchise style of MLS, but this post does a great job explaining why a laissez-faire confederation of clubs couldn't work for US soccer.

//www.city-data.com/forum/socce...l#post14759887

Think of it this way: In Major League Baseball, the Yankees have won five championships in my lifetime (I'm 21), and people complain that they "win every year" and "buy all the championships". In that same period, Manchester United have one eleven English football titles.
Krudmonk and Johnbiggs, I third the motion that the franchise model works well for MLS. MLS is competitive and any team can rise or fall within the space of a year or two. The English Premier League and Spanish League, in particular, are quite dull in that the same teams win year after year. If a poorer team does do well, the top clubs will buy their best players. Snoring boring.

The old NASL failed specifically because the New York team bought all of the best players and fans in the other cities lost interest. T'ain't happening with MLS; it is growing stronger every year. Look at the crowds in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Toronto, and Seattle as examples.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
I'm an Everton supporter.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Chicago Fire - Former season ticket holder and would still be if I was still in Chicagoland.

AFC Ajax - Because of my Dutch roots and went to a match when I was in Amsterdam.

Rangers FC - Came across the Chicago RSC after DMB signed with clubs. Had a blast with the Scots and watched many games with the RSC and got hooked.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Yeh, although Man Utd did buy some great players them 11 titles were down to an unbelieveable youth system they have. They got some of the best players in the world out of that system. This is from an ABU when it comes to them.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
I like Blackburn, but they are never in the hunt.

I root for Arsenal, and whoever is playing ManU.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM

47 posts, read 152,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
I have 3 clubs, but my favorite one is Inter Milan.
i have 2 clubs:

-Persija jakarta(indonesia) -> this one my hometown team
-Internazionale Milano

Forza Inter
Inter Per Sempre

Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
1. Cardiff City FC - my paternal ancestor came from SE Wales. They have a really good shot at making the premier league for next year!

2. Philadelphia Union - great name (given city's history + sounds like the int'l "united" teams + probably 90% of my ancestors entered the US at Philadelphia. A good number settled in nearby Lancaster Co before trekking southwest into Southern Appalachia.

3. Arsenal - just love the style of play. Americans love any sports team with a gun in its logo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer