Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,505,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The question was, why has soccer never caught on in the United States, I answered it. It comes off as a pansy sport. You can name injuries, sure... but I can find people in tennis who have broken their legs or people swimming who dove to low and broke their neck. Soccer might require physical stamina, but to put it on equal grounds of "toughness" with hockey or football is absurd. Its just my opinion on why it hasn't taken on in USA, take it for what its worth.

And in the world cup, I agree.. Americans didn't cry on the ground like the other countries did. Maybe soccer gets that reputation because they don't see enough Americans and too many crying latinos or europeans?
So you think that soccer hasn't taken off in the U.S. because it doesn't come across as tough as hockey or football? Then how do you explain why baseball is much more popular in the U.S. than hockey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,429,089 times
Quote:
The question was, why has soccer never caught on in the United States, I answered it. It comes off as a pansy sport. You can name injuries, sure... but I can find people in tennis who have broken their legs or people swimming who dove to low and broke their neck. Soccer might require physical stamina, but to put it on equal grounds of "toughness" with hockey or football is absurd. Its just my opinion on why it hasn't taken on in USA, take it for what its worth.

And in the world cup, I agree.. Americans didn't cry on the ground like the other countries did. Maybe soccer gets that reputation because they don't see enough Americans and too many crying latinos or europeans?
I played both competitive ice hockey and soccer in high school and both are equally tough sports. Hockey may look violent on tv with all of the body checking and open ice hits, but honestly 75 percent of the time you don't feel a damn thing when you are being slammed into the boards with all of the padding you have on. Plus, you get to go to the bench and sit down after a minute and a half or so. Some coaches even run line shifts for 50 seconds! As for soccer.... Soccer may look "wussy" on tv, but try being tackled while running full speed. Hitting the ground doesn't feel too good when you have nearly zero padding on. There are also a lot of violent collisions between players who are challenging for the ball. Concussions are also a SERIOUS problem in soccer, just ask Taylor Twellmann.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,841,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So you think that soccer hasn't taken off in the U.S. because it doesn't come across as tough as hockey or football? Then how do you explain why baseball is much more popular in the U.S. than hockey?
Because hockey is Canadian?

In all honesty, you could question preference and taste and popularity all ya want. Wont get any TRUE answer.

People just like what they like and hate what they hate.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,825,446 times
Quote:

you obviously dont know a thing about football

Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 AM

161 posts, read 141,312 times
Quote:

I don't accept this notion that soccer hasn't made it cause it seems kind of pansy. Yea, all the fake diving doesn't help, but soccer has risk. Every sport does. Soccer is a sport that was created to emphasis skill, not just pure strength and speed. I can maybe see how Americans expect our athletes to be tough, and so we don't like all that fake diving or even if someone wanted to say soccer is boring to watch. But when you into acccount that boxing isn't for pansies and it's declining in America while Nascar is growing, I don't think it's the pansy factor. I think the biggest thing is that your traditional American isn't open-minded enough to realize that soccer can have a place in American sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer