Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I actually don't know anyone that hates the metric system. I believe most people acknowledge (at least to themselves) that it is a superior system. Soccer is, of course, not superior to any other sport. Well, maybe baseball.
Then why are you taking the time to post in a soccer subforum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Because it was originally posted in the Sports forum, not the soccer forum. It was moved over to this forum.

And, please, on your reply to my post. There are quite a few of those whiny, "Why don't Americans like soccer as much as football" posts out there. Hell, in the first three pages of listings on this forum along, I count nine different topics centered around the lack of popularity of soccer in this country.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Sports Forum! I don't have soccer (or any specific sport) on my subscribed forums.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,520 times
Yes, yes and yes, Americans do hate Soccer, it is not a mainstream American Sport. Americans find it difficult to sit and watch a group of men kicking a ball, wandering aimlessly on a patch of grass.

It is an abroad political statement sport.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Some Americans hate it and bash it at every chance.

Some Americans love it, praise it, and want it to be bigger in the U.S.

And the rest (like me) could care less and wish people would stop asking these questions and just appreciate what you like. And if ya dont, just ignore it...

Simple as that.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.d View Post
I'm curious because of the general sentiment I typically see on the internet is very negative. I remember during the WC this summer virtually every news story on sports sites and general sites like NBC that had comments allowed was filled with Americans hating the sport. Ditto any time soccer is mentioned on mainstream TV.

Is this just an internet thing? If someone was to walk into a sports bar in America and ask around what people think of soccer what would the reaction be?

Soccer in America will never be big time until someone figures out how to make big money off of it like football.

It's all about the money once again.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
It's not so much that Americans hate soccer. It's more like we're indifferent to it. As a nation, I mean. You can always find pockets of genuine interest scattered around the country.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.d View Post
Is it more hated than the metric system, less or about even?
Soccer will never be liked over here as a major sport. Its great for kids to play, its just to boring to watch. You can also add formula one racing. BORING.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I'm sure these points have been made already but I'm too lazy to read the thread to confirm: Soccer is actually a very popular youth sport here. As for soccer on a professional level... I think it would be more accurate to say we're indifferent about soccer itself; what we hate is the insistence by soccer fans that we suck because of our indifference. Kinda like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
America doesn't hate soccer, it's a popular sport played throughout the school years and at the college level, and our professional league draws better attendance that a lot of European rugby leagues. Where the conflict lies is between anti-American types who find it blasphemous that Americans would prefer our own home grown sports to the ones that the English invented and spread around the globe, and insular, overly nationalistic Americans who think the NFL and MLB are the end-all, be-all of team sports. These two groups egg each other on and are responsible for 99% of the drama involving America and soccer.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Some Americans hate it and bash it at every chance.

Some Americans love it, praise it, and want it to be bigger in the U.S.

And the rest (like me) could care less and wish people would stop asking these questions and just appreciate what you like. And if ya dont, just ignore it...

Simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's not so much that Americans hate soccer. It's more like we're indifferent to it. As a nation, I mean. You can always find pockets of genuine interest scattered around the country.
I agree with both of these. I like soccer, and I think it does have some geniune fans in the USA, but it also has its haters and people that just are not interested.

While it may be growing, it still has a long way to go. Just my own anecdotal example: I consider Chicago a great sports city, but there was hardly even a buzz when the Fire were doing well a couple years ago. Even the lesser of the "big 4" the NHL when the Hawks were in, and winning the Cup last year, the city was insane over it. Even to a lesser extent, when the Hawks were just in the post season and didnt make it to the cup the year before, bars were filled, flags were flying etc. A lot of those fans were bandwagoners, but sadly, the Fire of the MLS didn't really even have those when they were winning.

I watched a few of the USA world cup games at local sports bars and there was at least tangible emotion and tension over those games, something that I don't remember too much of for the Fire, at any point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer