Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,903 times

Advertisements

2 points to add:

1) With the NBA ref scandal, the NFL with Michael Vick's troubles, and MLB getting ready to hand over its greatest record to a cheater....now may be the time for Americans to finally say "enough" with the big 3, and embrace soccer. Likely? No. Possible? Sure.

2) Complaining about low scores in soccer is a stupid argument for why it isn't popular. If an American Football game ends 21-14, isn't that the exact same thing as a soccer game ending 3-2?

Maybe soccer goals should be worth 7 points each? Then the sport would take over America!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
The point of this thread is to show you why America hasn't embraced soccer and may not for a long, long time. Low scoring isn't a big deal and it doesn't make for a good argument. And I know Beckham won't single handedly change the way most of the country feels about the game. It would take a whole country changing it's mind about a sport the rest of the world couldn't live without.
But this is America... a country best known for NOT being like the rest of the world.
A lot of people here don't care about soccer and, truth be told, I'm one of them. The only soccer I care about is Super Mario Strikers on Nintendo Gamecube.

BTW, as long as the NFL exists, it dosen't matter what kind of problems the leauge has, it will dominate this country for a long time. Believe it!
The same goes for the NBA, Major Leauge Baseball, and (still even) the NHL.
Sorry.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
I think there are several reasons why soccer is not popular in America, and may not ever be so.

If you look at the popular American sports, they are played mainly in America. Americans are good at these sports. Yes, I know about the US basketball team's defeats and all, but you know what I'm talking about
-- arguably the best basketball league is the NBA, the best American football league is the NFL. That is not the case with soccer -- MLS is a far cry from the European or South American leagues, and none of the American players are really world-class (although Brad Friedel at Blackburn at few seasons ago could arguably have laid claim to being one of the best goalies in Europe).

Secondly, most American sports are set up to force some "result" at every possible juncture. In American football, you get a certain number of tries before you have to give up possession. In basketball, the shot clock forces you to shoot. And so on. In soccer, that's not the case -- a possession most often does not result in a score or even a scoring attempt. In soccer, the play itself can be something to appreciate -- soccer aficionados will applaud a goalless draw with high quality passing and moves. But over many years, the American sports viewer has become accustomed to seeing some end product to every move, and that's what they want. But soccer does not provide that.

I don't think soccer will rival American football, baseball, basketball, or hockey in the foreseeable future.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 AM

51 posts, read 129,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
A lot of people here don't care about soccer and, truth be told, I'm one of them. The only soccer I care about is Super Mario Strikers on Nintendo Gamecube.
I guess I'm kinda confused about why you feel the need to prove that soccer is a fringe sport in America. Do you think that's some great revelation? Did it come to you in a vision and you now have to proclaim far and wide that soccer is not a major sport in America? I think we already knew that. And why are you concerned about a sport that you say you don't care about?

Last edited by NewOldLompac; 08-06-2007 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
This thread should be named 'Football: An American Sport?' since American Football doesn't even use feet except for running and punting. I propose that American Football shall be called American Rugby instead.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
I'm not here (or even need) to prove anything, nor am I really concerned about soccer.
Due to the recent World Cup and the Beckham hype, I thought this would be a good time to discuss why soccer isn't popular here and if it ever will be.I just pointed out the fact that it wasn't.
It's not because I don't care about the sport. That has nothing to do with this. I don't care that much about tennis and golf but I won't completely bad mouth them, either.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
I can't understand why Americans say soccer. Everywhere people say football. In American "football" players don't even use their feet

Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
THe media will never allow the sport to be popular. Major sports channels wont show the sport like the do the NFL or NBA, or MLB. WHy ? Because they cannot cut to an advertisement every 3 minutes (or so it seems) because the run of play in Football is continuous. They cant make major $$$$$$$ from showing the sport.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I can't understand why Americans say soccer. Everywhere people say football. In American "football" players don't even use their feet
Yeah, back when I played, we used to run around on our hands and knees. No feet allowed!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,787 times
I don't think soccer will ever come close to the four major sports. It's not exciting enough and personally I think it is flat out boring. Watching people do nothing but kick a ball around a field all afternoon and have 2 goals to show for it (if your lucky) is not something I can get into. I also think it is ridiculous that soccer fans have these riots and end up trampling each other.

Football is by far the most popular team sport in America and will stay that way. The games are intriguing and the league knows just how to market the sport to keep it at #1. Millions of fans align themselves to one team or another and consider it a great passion. Just ask folks from Green Bay how they feel about their Packers. From all the media coverage, fantasy leagues, books and magazines etc, this sport will stay at the top.

Baseball comes in at #2. It has been around for well over 100 years and is considered by many to be America's pasttime. It's popularity has been overtaken by football and has suffered some from scandals, but it still has a great many followers. A little more parity would help but it will have to settle for the second spot.

Basketball is #3. It lags behind Baseball and Football, but does have it's share of devoted followers. The recent ref scandal won't help and the draft system needs to be changed. Still, it manages to hold its own.

Hockey is #4. It is a distant fourth as well. The all star game is a farce. Games don't end 12-9. When 40 year old reruns of the Andy Griffith show have better ratings then your all star game, there is a problem. They could have had the game on the weekend when there was no football, but no. They have their devoted fans but the group is a much smaller one.

Soccer I guess would be #5. However, it's popularity is well behind Hockey which is well behind Basketball which is well behind Baseball which is well behind Football.

I am an ardent football fan and look forward with much anticipation to the season. I also follow baseball but not to the same extent or with the same passion. With Basketball and Hockey, I'm somewhat aware of what's going on but it is not as important. Soccer is not even on my radar screen. I heard of Pele but know nothing else about the sport and could tell you nothing about Major League Soccer here in America. It may be a worldwide sport but for me it's like watching the grass grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer