Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
I really hope they can do it, just cant see them holding madrid at the bernebau.
I can see a 2-2 draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Chelsea have to be the luckiest team on the planet. They may not even finish in the top 4 of the Premier League this season, especially if they fail to beat the toon army. Terry is a tw@t though.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Chelsea have to be the luckiest team on the planet. They may not even finish in the top 4 of the Premier League this season, especially if they fail to beat the toon army. Terry is a tw@t though.

John Terry Red Card/Foul against Alexis Sanchez (Barcelona vs Chelsea 24/04/12) - YouTube

Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
How do you figure? They scored when it mattered and were able to finish when they needed to. Something Barcelona could not. They played solid defense.

They were down to 10 men and still managed to go through and hold off Barca.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How do you figure? They scored when it mattered and were able to finish when they needed to. Something Barcelona could not. They played solid defense.

Messi hits post on a pen and then hits the post again...i'd say that's a bit lucky (not even mentioning Torres actually scoring lmao)

Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I'm not taking anything away from Chelsea: that was a fantastic result, but also a lucky one. Messi doesn't miss too many penalties and Barcelona were completely dominant in possession. Quite incredible though, considering Chelsea played most of the game with 10 men.

Not bad for a caretaker manager. If Chelsea don't give DiMatteo the job, his credentials will land him another high profile managerial job. Genius, considering Chelsea's entire domestic and European campaign was doomed to fall apart.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Messi hits post on a pen and then hits the post again...i'd say that's a bit lucky (not even mentioning Torres actually scoring lmao)
Finish.....Barca had so many chances and simply could not finish......Chelsea could and they are moving on. Laugh all you want, but goals aside, Torres has been a solid player this season. He has created a ton of chances and has shown great hustle.

Quote:
I'm not taking anything away from Chelsea: that was a fantastic result, but also a lucky one. Messi doesn't miss too many penalties and Barcelona were completely dominant in possession. Quite incredible though, considering Chelsea played most of the game with 10 men.

Not bad for a caretaker manager. If Chelsea don't give DiMatteo the job, his credentials will land him another high profile managerial job. Genius, considering Chelsea's entire domestic and European campaign was doomed to fall apart.

You can dominate the possession all you want, but what good does it do you if you cannot finish? Chelsea bent, but did not break. Barca did by the 3 goals Chelsea scored on the counter-attack. What does it say about Barca that they had a lot more chances than Chelsea did, but Chelsea managed to score more goals than them. Plus they played with only 10 men for well over 50 minutes, in the Camp Nou, and scored 2 goals.

In the end, Chelsea remain the only club Pep has never beaten.

DiMatteo is going to get the job. Look at their record since he has taken over, 1 loss and they are playing a lot better.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
I thought Chelsea played great considering they lost their 2 centre backs early to injury and a red card and had Bosingwa (basically a right winger) playing in central defence. Chelsea scored 2 great goals and had some good chances in the away leg against Barca, the Ivanovic header should have been buried aswell. Chelsea played brilliantly defencivly (defence is part of football remember!) And limited Barca. That is the slowest I have seen Barca play in my life, just shows how good Chelsea played. And Barca were lucky at Stamford Bridge a few seasons back where Chelsea comprehensively outplayed Barca in every department and should have had a few stone wall penalties, but still went out. So it evens itself out!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM

The 2009 leg at Stamford Bridge was an awful display of officiating. I don't normally cite the refs for turning a game, but the missed calls did just that.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You can dominate the possession all you want, but what good does it do you if you cannot finish? Chelsea bent, but did not break. Barca did by the 3 goals Chelsea scored on the counter-attack. What does it say about Barca that they had a lot more chances than Chelsea did, but Chelsea managed to score more goals than them. Plus they played with only 10 men for well over 50 minutes, in the Camp Nou, and scored 2 goals.

In the end, Chelsea remain the only club Pep has never beaten.

DiMatteo is going to get the job. Look at their record since he has taken over, 1 loss and they are playing a lot better.
Chelsea are indeed something of a bogey team for Barcelona. Great result though and good to see Torres getting finding form again just at the right time. It can't be easy having that burden of expectation weighing on your shoulders due to a £50 million price tag.

I hope DiMatteo gets the job, but I think Abramovich has his eyes on Laurent Blanc.

Are you a fan of Chelsea BTW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer