Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Personally, I have little interest in a league where one club has a 60% chance of winning and another club or two put on the close-but-no-cigar show year after year. I prefer Bundesliga. The league is more exciting to watch because there's competition and the fans are amazing. I'll watch any Bundesliga match made available on ESPN3. When it comes to EPL, if there's no Americans in the lineup, I don't care. When it comes the UEFA competitions I always root against the English clubs.
Yeah I'd rather watch the EPL. 8-2 and 5-1 in one day sounds pretty good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Personally, I have little interest in a league where one club has a 60% chance of winning and another club or two put on the close-but-no-cigar show year after year. I prefer Bundesliga. The league is more exciting to watch because there's competition and the fans are amazing. I'll watch any Bundesliga match made available on ESPN3. When it comes to EPL, if there's no Americans in the lineup, I don't care. When it comes the UEFA competitions I always root against the English clubs.
I enjoy watching the EPL, but since it's inception in '92, 3 teams (Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal) have won 18 of the 19 titles. Here you have a 20 team league, that each year only a handful of clubs have any chance of winning...

The competitive disadvantage reminds me of what MLB would look like if you removed the divisions and playoffs and just threw everybody together in one big league. Obviously, one of the big spenders (Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies) would win every year..

Without some kind of salary structure or cap...it's more about the money than anything else. And after awhile, that gets to be a bore..

Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,624 times
You mean without Americanizing it. I can't think of any league outside of the US which uses a salary cap.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
You mean without Americanizing it. I can't think of any league outside of the US which uses a salary cap.
Perhaps a salary cap isn't the answer, MLB doesn't have one, but the divisions, wild card and playoffs, help make up for the competitive disadvantage that naturally ensues from a couple big teams spending millions more than everybody else.

You can't deny the fact that you buy titles in the EPL...Abramovich has been successful at it, something Man City's Sheikh Mansour and his rich Arab friends are now trying to emulate..

I don't want the EPL Americanized, but at least here in the MLS, everybody has a chance..

Old 08-29-2011, 05:44 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I enjoy watching the EPL, but since it's inception in '92, 3 teams (Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal) have won 18 of the 19 titles. Here you have a 20 team league, that each year only a handful of clubs have any chance of winning...

The competitive disadvantage reminds me of what MLB would look like if you removed the divisions and playoffs and just threw everybody together in one big league. Obviously, one of the big spenders (Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies) would win every year..

Without some kind of salary structure or cap...it's more about the money than anything else. And after awhile, that gets to be a bore..
Big deal, everyone still loves it!

Mind you you get the odd person who knocks it, but the attendances at matches go up year on year even though the prices of tickets go up year on year. And it is the most watched league in the world, followed by La liga where only 2 teams have a chance of winning the league, but there the leagues what people watch, why don't people watch more competitive leagues? Because the quality isn't as good. Watching football isn't all about the whole season anyway, every week is a separate game to enjoy, live in the moment!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM

To be honest, us Brits don't want wild cards and playoffs. The premiership is a marathon, the best team over 38 games, one winner, one trophy! We don't want to see a team play 38 games to finish first to then have to play a knockout round where #6 could eventually be crowned "World Champion".

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
You can't deny the fact that you buy titles in the EPL...Abramovich has been successful at it, something Man City's Sheikh Mansour and his rich Arab friends are now trying to emulate..
What about United? The Premierships most successful team, surely you are not going to tell me that we've bought our titles. Before you even suggest this please google 'Busby's Babes' and 'Fergies Fledglings'.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
To be honest, us Brits don't want wild cards and playoffs. The premiership is a marathon, the best team over 38 games, one winner, one trophy! We don't want to see a team play 38 games to finish first to then have to play a knockout round where #6 could eventually be crowned "World Champion".
That's odd. You Brits sure don't seem to mind the Championship playoffs. I mean, why not just promote the top 3 clubs? What's the deal with the 3 through 6th playoffs? Following your logic, shouldn't the club that finished third during the Championship marathon be automatically promoted?

Playoffs are rife throughout football in the UK..it's just a question of where.

Quote:
What about United? The Premierships most successful team, surely you are not going to tell me that we've bought our titles. Before you even suggest this please google 'Busby's Babes' and 'Fergies Fledglings'.
No googling necessary. I don't like Man U, but only because they're a rival of Arsenal. I respect Ferguson and the club. You'll never see me claim they bought titles. Which is why I didn't include them in the same category as Chelsea or City..

Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Face facts it the best league in the world

Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM

That's funny. United fans no longer consider Arsenal a serious rival!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer