Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times

Advertisements

why dont americans like world football

I don't think it's the case that americans don't like world football. Some/Many Americans do like soccer and that number increases each year.

First, 'world football' is not historically important to sports fans in the U.S.
Second, 'world football' in its action, is much less structured that american sports.
- baseball has a set amount of balls, strikes and outs. Activity is directionally oriented.
- basketball stops action at every score, and what else are you gonna do when the ground is covered in ice.
- american football has a limited number of opportunities to improve your stakes and action stops to measure evidence of success.

'World football' functions more as an wide open free for all, a constant game of take-away like kids fighting over trick-or-treat booty. It has its allure but not a lot of personal camera time.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
[b] It has its allure but not a lot of personal camera time.

Except when someone flops around like a rag doll after getting touched.....yea. OOO ...look at me ..I am hurt...drop a red flag Mr. Referee...oh you are not going to??...ok , I get up then and play. Haha..very endearing part of your "sport".

Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Except when someone flops around like a rag doll after getting touched.....yea. OOO ...look at me ..I am hurt...drop a red flag Mr. Referee...oh you are not going to??...ok , I get up then and play. Haha..very endearing part of your "sport".

Seriously, stop, you are making us non-soccer fans look bad

Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Really.

And I have to say (again), I have all the respect in the world for the sport. But it's just not that important to me as others....

Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Ah leave jp alone, I think hes addicted to the thread at this stage!

He is kind of right, the diving is a complete joke. Its not that big a deal though, get on and play. Every sport has its things like that that drive people crazy. I get the same with American Football, 30 seconds of play for 4 minutes of ads and people talk about how fast and ferocious(sp) it is. I dont get that part.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
Not this crap again.

Americans DO like World football or else big time Euro teams would not be making money hawking their wares here. Nor would they be selling out NFL stadiums for friendlies. NOR would we have channels devoted to it and have growing interest in the sport from broadcasters.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ah leave jp alone, I think hes addicted to the thread at this stage!

He is kind of right, the diving is a complete joke. Its not that big a deal though, get on and play. Every sport has its things like that that drive people crazy. I get the same with American Football, 30 seconds of play for 4 minutes of ads and people talk about how fast and ferocious(sp) it is. I dont get that part.
I am staying This thread needs balance...

Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Why? Because I speak a fact? The diving is ridiculous....

Look soccer is a good sport. I was watching the WC along with everyone else and it was very interesting. I just think it has many things I would like to see changed. I mean have you ever seen a sport so governed by the refs? Holy crap they won't even stop a clock when play stops. We have to "anticipate" the end of the game...And offside? So subjective ! ef calls it one time not the next ..no lines so its all conjecture...not cool.

Is it ESPN who has the rights to TV? I dont even know. If it is ESPN then they are gonna market the CRAP out of it and thats why it seems more people are watching. When ESPN had hockey they showed it all the time. When they lost the rights the game didnt even exist in their eyes. They barely showed highlights the first year aftyer they lost it, it was comical./

Old 10-06-2011, 06:46 PM

325 posts, read 787,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Listen, just like hockey there is a place for soccer in this country..I love hockey and am pissed to this day they are trying to tailor it to appeal to the masses. It NEVER will and thats fine with me. Same with soccer. Stop trying to make it a national top four sport and enjoy it for what it is in this country. A growing sport with a cult following that will stay that way as long as the rules are what they are...the game is BORING to most people..why can't you understand this? Hockey is boring to most people..who cares!! .. Enjoy the sport for what it is...
Good post. As an avid soccer fan, I hated any moves MLS made in its early years to appeal to the masses, like breaking ties in regular-season games by having shootouts, the clock counting down, etc., and essentially boycotted the league because of it. MLS still does some appealing to the masses that I don't agree with, such as having playoffs to determine a league champion unlike the vast majority of soccer leagues around the world, but as long as the game on the field is played by normal FIFA rules I am fine with it.

I do believe that soccer could gradually become a solid No. 2 sport in this country in the next 10-30 years, but if it never did I would be fine with it. That's the beauty of the Internet age - I can avoid MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL and read all I want about soccer with ease, which could not be done before the Internet came along. I'm going to continue to enjoy soccer and if anybody wants to join me, great; if not, those people can continue to enjoy the other sports that are already so popular in this country.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Good post. As an avid soccer fan, I hated any moves MLS made in its early years to appeal to the masses, like breaking ties in regular-season games by having shootouts, the clock counting down, etc., and essentially boycotted the league because of it. MLS still does some appealing to the masses that I don't agree with, such as having playoffs to determine a league champion unlike the vast majority of soccer leagues around the world, but as long as the game on the field is played by normal FIFA rules I am fine with it.

I do believe that soccer could gradually become a solid No. 2 sport in this country in the next 10-30 years, but if it never did I would be fine with it. That's the beauty of the Internet age - I can avoid MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL and read all I want about soccer with ease, which could not be done before the Internet came along. I'm going to continue to enjoy soccer and if anybody wants to join me, great; if not, those people can continue to enjoy the other sports that are already so popular in this country.
Number 2 sport? Not in this lifetime... I can see it tying for number 4 with hockey...Two sports with a small but zealous cult type following...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer