Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,898,730 times

Advertisements

Ok, I don't normally get involved with football.

Personally I think it's played by an overpaid group of cheating nancy boys. I used to enjoy watching it, but now it's just ridiculous. People falling over in "agony" at the slightest touch etc, I much prefer rugby.
A real game with no prima-donnas !
Actually, the only football I've watched recently has been women's football. Granted, the skill levels aren't quite the same as the top level men, but their commitment is much greater, they just get on with it without any of the theatricality of the mens' game

However, I can't help but feel that the demise of Rangers, or Celtic for that matter, would actually be GOOD for Scottish football.

Walk around any town or city in Scotland and all you see is Celtic and Rangers tops, even when that town has a perfectly good local team.
I suspect that many of the people wearing these tops have never even been to Glasgow, never mind an actual game !

If Rangers cease to existt, then all these glory hunters will be forced to look for someone else to support.
As well as all those who choose which football team to support based on their religion, rather than geographical location.
Since they're likely to go for an "anyone but Celtic" approach, then there's the possibility that they might actually decide to support their local team.

Local teams will therefore receive more money from attendance, or merchandise, and in football it's well documented that you can actually buy success

I do feel sympathy for the genuine fans, however, at the end of the day, it's only their hobby they are losing, not their job/health/house, there are things more important than football, and life will go on pretty much as normal whether there's a Rangers or not

Discuss....................

Last edited by bobman; 02-16-2012 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 AM

355 posts, read 974,530 times
It has come across in the past a few times that it might be good if both the Bhoys and the Huns would leave the SPL and play in the league south of the borders...

Whether or not it's a good idea to kill one or both teams off all together, I don't think so. All these neds for whom this sectarian ****e is the only thing they live for, will quickly change allegiance to, for instance, the Hibs and the Hearts...

Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,597,382 times
Would it not suck most of the TV money and interest out of the Scottish league if the Old Firm ceased to exist or went to England though and make it more like the Welsh/Irish leagues, more competitive but less valued? If you walk down a typical Welsh high street you see people wearing the shirts of English teams or Welsh teams who play in the English leagues - it's as though the Welsh league doesn't exist. Would a Motherwell fan prefer to come third in the existing SPL or win a version they know would mean less? I've always thought that historically Scottish football has punched above its true weight in terms of influence and recognition because of the Old Firm, though if I were a fan of one of the other Scottish teams I bet I'd hate the way they drain all the league's interest.

Last edited by ben86; 02-16-2012 at 05:29 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 AM

128 posts, read 242,328 times
The SPL would become like the League of Wales without Rangers (and celtic). But dont get giddy about it because it wont happen, Rangers will be back stronger within a year or two dont worry.

You'll still be able to complain about a big nasty man shouting something at you or drinking in your pubs and spending all their money in your town, before getting the usual good hiding on the pitch and moaning that the referee is bias.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 AM

I don't doubt that Rangers will be back.
Going into administration might actually benefit them.
10 points deduction hasn't harmed them, they're still 9 points ahead of 3rd place, so still likely to finish at least second.
Although times will be tough for a season or two, it'll also likely lead to some of their debts being written off.
In footballing terms, and financial, they may not suffer hugely.

Indeed, I think it's unlikely they will go under, unless they have to sell off so many assets they can't operate as a club.
Even then, the name will exist, I'd expect someone to snap it up, although it's unlikely they'll be an SPL club, would probably have to start from scratch as Livingston did from the remnants of Meadowbank Thistle

I guess that's not really what we're talking about tho, it's whether the loss of one of the teams would be good or bad.
Agreed, if both were to leave, the SPL would probably die a death. I don't think the remaining clubs have enough of a fanbase.

I don't think anybody was complaining about "big nasty men".
Sectarianism, thuggery and ignorance exists at the moment in football and won't die if Rangers does, it'll just transfer elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
The SPL would become like the League of Wales without Rangers (and celtic). But dont get giddy about it because it wont happen, Rangers will be back stronger within a year or two dont worry.

You'll still be able to complain about a big nasty man shouting something at you or drinking in your pubs and spending all their money in your town, before getting the usual good hiding on the pitch and moaning that the referee is bias.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 AM

128 posts, read 242,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I don't doubt that Rangers will be back.
Going into administration might actually benefit them.
10 points deduction hasn't harmed them, they're still 9 points ahead of 3rd place, so still likely to finish at least second.
Although times will be tough for a season or two, it'll also likely lead to some of their debts being written off.
In footballing terms, and financial, they may not suffer hugely.

Indeed, I think it's unlikely they will go under, unless they have to sell off so many assets they can't operate as a club.
Even then, the name will exist, I'd expect someone to snap it up, although it's unlikely they'll be an SPL club, would probably have to start from scratch as Livingston did from the remnants of Meadowbank Thistle

I guess that's not really what we're talking about tho, it's whether the loss of one of the teams would be good or bad.
Agreed, if both were to leave, the SPL would probably die a death. I don't think the remaining clubs have enough of a fanbase.

I don't think anybody was complaining about "big nasty men".
Sectarianism, thuggery and ignorance exists at the moment in football and won't die if Rangers does, it'll just transfer elsewhere
It will be beneficial. Ethically its wrong but Craig Whyte's has always intended to do it. The club have the HMRC hanging over them so thats £50m + potentially. Win it and HMRC have said they will appeal and appeal dragging on for another few years. Lose it and the club would go bump. So he's taken us into admin to avoid this as hes the main creditor, HMRC wont get anything (or barely anything).

The £9m bill thats outstanding to HMRC - which is why they filed to take us into administration on Tuesday - is part of murray's £2.4m bill that was hidden in accounts plus tax Whyte should have paid since he took over. Whilst morally he should have paid it, if he knew admin was coming, why bother?

Whyte is an expert at this sort of thing and has done the same with several other businesses, as i say while not morally or ethically correct, its what he needed to do and will benefit Rangers in the medium-long term. Murray got us in this mess. Whyte will then sell the club for a hefty profit without it costing him anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Thanks, but not really on topic.
I'm not a football fan, and certainly not a Rangers fan, so I'm not really concerned about the how and why.

Just posing a hypothetical question, for the sake of my question, it wouldn't matter if it were Rangers or Celtic who failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
It will be beneficial. Ethically its wrong but Craig Whyte's has always intended to do it. The club have the HMRC hanging over them so thats £50m + potentially. Win it and HMRC have said they will appeal and appeal dragging on for another few years. Lose it and the club would go bump. So he's taken us into admin to avoid this as hes the main creditor, HMRC wont get anything (or barely anything).

The £9m bill thats outstanding to HMRC - which is why they filed to take us into administration on Tuesday - is part of murray's £2.4m bill that was hidden in accounts plus tax Whyte should have paid since he took over. Whilst morally he should have paid it, if he knew admin was coming, why bother?

Whyte is an expert at this sort of thing and has done the same with several other businesses, as i say while not morally or ethically correct, its what he needed to do and will benefit Rangers in the medium-long term. Murray got us in this mess. Whyte will then sell the club for a hefty profit without it costing him anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,807,580 times
I know imagine the worlds most popular sport having a forum! lol

Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Hehe !!
I'm not really into sports, so it's not something I'd looked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I know imagine the worlds most popular sport having a forum! lol

Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I suspect that many of the people wearing these tops have never even been to Glasgow, never mind an actual game !

Discuss....................
I didnt know you had to go to a game or visit Glasgow to be a fan of Rangers.

What happened to supporting particular players? I started watching Rangers when they signed some of my fave American players (ie Edu, Beasley, etc), and Ive been a fan for years now. And now that they have Bedoya and Bocanegra, all the more reason to love em!

FOLLOW FOLLOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer