Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,043,699 times

Advertisements

WOW - It took a year and a half for someone to post the FACT that soccer is not a popular sport in the U.S. That just goes to prove that no one was even interested enough to bother.
People have been trying - without success - to promote the sport for about FORTY years now.
So call me any name that you like - I won't even report you - but the FACT remains that very few people care.

I started the thread for Union fans because in my opinion EVERY professional sports team should have a thread. So far, NOT ONE die-hard Union fan has even posted - and they are on the verge of making the playoffs. I hope that several do so that someone can provide INTELLIGENT conversation about the team.

In fact, the opening question PROVES my point. Do you think that a fan of the NFL, MLB, NBA, or even the NHL, would ask which part of the country that particular sport is popular in?
NO they would not because, as far as they are concerned, it is a meaningless question - asked by fans of a trivial sport. Only SLIGHTLY more popular than indoor football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,398,662 times
Never let facts get in the way of a good rant John.
Yes your "I'm not a big fan but maybe someone on this site is." had me on the edge of my seat waiting to engage with you about Union but I couldn't come up with anything as boring as your opener. City-Data forums arent a good gauge for soccer, there are a few dedicated sites which are constantly busy. This is more of a general site than anything else.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,245,995 times
even the baseball threads on CD are pretty weak. I find the soccer threads better here, which isn't saying much.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,405,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Never let facts get in the way of a good rant John.
Yes your "I'm not a big fan but maybe someone on this site is." had me on the edge of my seat waiting to engage with you about Union but I couldn't come up with anything as boring as your opener. City-Data forums arent a good gauge for soccer, there are a few dedicated sites which are constantly busy. This is more of a general site than anything else.
I never understand the vitriol directed at soccer in the U.S. Why not just tune it out? I don't like NASCAR, I don't watch it and don't read about it. Plenty of people share my sentiments, but hardly anyone goes and bashes it.

Soccer on the other hand seems to get bashed all the time. Is it somehow threatening? Basketball and football are team sports relying on multiple players to work together as in soccer. So, it can't be just the playing style. Is it because Americans are just not dominating in soccer? If so, bashing it is a self-fulfilling wish.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM

245 posts, read 298,193 times
Soccer is not famous in the US? Then why MLS, created only 17 years ago is close in average attendance and even surpasses championships that has been in the US like 50 or more like NBA and NHL. In addition American sports channel are fighting to broadcast the English Premier league, Mexican League, FIFA Championships and Uefa champions league.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,208,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Soccer is not famous in the US? Then why MLS, created only 17 years ago is close in average attendance and even surpasses championships that has been in the US like 50 or more like NBA and NHL. In addition American sports channel are fighting to broadcast the English Premier league, Mexican League, FIFA Championships and Uefa champions league.
Soccer is growing as a consumable here, but let's not get too crazy ... it wasn't that long ago MLS was paying to be on TV and they're still do not have a great TV contract either in distribution or revenue

As for attendance, MLS has cheaper tickets, larger stadiums and fewer games - they should have stronger per game averages .... drawing an extra 1,500 on than those leagues on a per club average isn't something to thump your chest about when they are drawing 11M-15M more people per season across the league at a much, much higher rate of ticket revenue, arena sponsorship, etc

As for the comment up-thread about people not poking fun at NASCAR - you aren't serious are you? People dump on NASCAR all the time - "'neckcar" - who wants to watch a bunch of cars turn left for 4 hours, drivers aren't athletes, fans are southern drunken racists, etc

They get dumped on constantly

Most sports do get dumped on a lot - even popular ones

Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,884,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I never understand the vitriol directed at soccer in the U.S. Why not just tune it out? I don't like NASCAR, I don't watch it and don't read about it. Plenty of people share my sentiments, but hardly anyone goes and bashes it.

Soccer on the other hand seems to get bashed all the time. Is it somehow threatening? Basketball and football are team sports relying on multiple players to work together as in soccer. So, it can't be just the playing style. Is it because Americans are just not dominating in soccer? If so, bashing it is a self-fulfilling wish.
A lot of Americans and Canadians "tune it out", but people in this country tend to not like soccer because a lot of soccer fans can be very, very, VERY insufferable.

"Soccer is called FOOTBALL around the rest of the world."
"Soccer is the REAL football."
"It's the most popular sport in the world and the World Cup is 10 times bigger than the Super Bowl."

On, and on, and on without people just simply realizing that it's a different country with different sports culture. Soccer doesn't HAVE to be all that popular here and compared to the other big sports, it's not. But so what? Enjoy your own sport without bashing someone else's. Yes, SOCCER fans tend to do that, too, usually against the NFL, as it is the most popular sport in America.

So having to do with the fact that it is the most popular sport in the world (except here and about 3 other countries) there tends to be a level of arrogance and it shows. Not saying you don't see it with American football fans or basketball, baseball, or hockey fans, but a lot of why people are turned off from soccer is because of soccer fans themselves. Some of you should understand this with fans of other sports and teams, even.

P.S., Americans aren't dominating in baseball or track anymore, but that hasn't turned anyone off from it. Just to answer that question...

Old 08-30-2013, 03:36 AM

23,767 posts, read 29,017,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
A lot of Americans and Canadians "tune it out", but people in this country tend to not like soccer because a lot of soccer fans can be very, very, VERY insufferable.

"Soccer is called FOOTBALL around the rest of the world."
"Soccer is the REAL football."
"It's the most popular sport in the world and the World Cup is 10 times bigger than the Super Bowl."

On, and on, and on without people just simply realizing that it's a different country with different sports culture. Soccer doesn't HAVE to be all that popular here and compared to the other big sports, it's not. But so what? Enjoy your own sport without bashing someone else's. Yes, SOCCER fans tend to do that, too, usually against the NFL, as it is the most popular sport in America.

So having to do with the fact that it is the most popular sport in the world (except here and about 3 other countries) there tends to be a level of arrogance and it shows. Not saying you don't see it with American football fans or basketball, baseball, or hockey fans, but a lot of why people are turned off from soccer is because of soccer fans themselves. Some of you should understand this with fans of other sports and teams, even.

P.S., Americans aren't dominating in baseball or track anymore, but that hasn't turned anyone off from it. Just to answer that question...
mostly this...

Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,049 times
To the OP,

I don't know if there is ONE place that stands head and shoulders above the rest. But I say there are some notable hotbeds.

The Northeast Corridor
California
The Pacific Northwest
Florida (particularly South Florida)

You might be able to put Texas in there, due to the large latino population but football has an utter dominance culturally compared to the above mentioned regions.

As for Soccer not being popular...............why do both ESPN AND Fox Sports have daily soccer studio shows now? Not to mention NBC shelling out big bucks for the premier league? Soccer is popular (like Game of Thrones is popular) but it's just not focused on ONE League.

Also, I like soccer but JJG has a good point. Some hardcore partisans aren't doing the sport any favors with their haughty attitude towards other sports. That will keep the sport from expanding it's audience.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 764 times
Ben Calrkson Loan Firm we Offer Legitimate Loan at 3% interest rate apply with us now if you are interested Email: [email]benclarkloanfirm@msn.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer