Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

[quote=JD47john;29407784]But you consider this a bad season for Barcelona and yet they are walking away with the league and made it to another CL semi-final, even after being poor throughout like you said. I am not saying they have been great or anything. All I am saying is that they are still giants and its wrong to say its the end of an era.

What if they come back and win it next year? Will the era have begun again? Will they not be the best team in the world?

People also going on about how good Bayern are. Fabulous, great, animal team but what if they bottle it and lose to Dortmund in the final? That would be 3 out of 4 CL final losses. People saying its the start of a new Bayern era, but what if they lose?

Overall, Bayern smashed Barca and deserve their place in the final. However, Barcelona are still the number 1 greatest team in Europe in my eyes. I think that if they sort out their defense(which they will), then they will be ready to dominate Europe again.[/quote]

I didn't say it was the end of an era, that was someone else. But it's the high-lighted part that shows the inappropriate blind faith of too many Barca fans. Remember that so many Champions League home-and-aways are decided by away goals! (or maybe just one goal), here you had Bayern rip them for 7!! Any team that gets beat that bad doesn't deserve to be in a semi-final. Maybe it's the American sports in me but if a team makes the Super Bowl or NBA Finals and gets destroyed, everyone thinks they need to go back to the drawing board.

And La Liga really is a soft, 2-team league that even lacks diversity. Get some money pumping back into Italy and France (PSG and now Monaco!) and I think La Liga could fall to #5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,778 times
Not a fan of Barca, but how can winning a domestic league and play CL semi-final be considered a bad year?
Even for Barca standards, this is a good season for them.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I didn't say it was the end of an era, that was someone else. But it's the high-lighted part that shows the inappropriate blind faith of too many Barca fans.
I wasn't talking about you mate. I was talking about people in general. A lot of people I know and people on Twitter and so are saying its the end of an era. I just disagree with that. I don't understand the logic to it. If you base it on one season, then does that mean that if Bayern lose in the final, their season has been a failure and they are on the downfall? That's the point I am trying to make.

Quote:
Remember that so many Champions League home-and-aways are decided by away goals! (or maybe just one goal), here you had Bayern rip them for 7!! Any team that gets beat that bad doesn't deserve to be in a semi-final. Maybe it's the American sports in me but if a team makes the Super Bowl or NBA Finals and gets destroyed, everyone thinks they need to go back to the drawing board.
That's been Barcelona's problem. At the back they are awful. That will be changed and sorted out though in the summer. A lot of people coming out and saying that Hummels is a done deal(and what a deal that would be). They will sort it out at the back.

Quote:
And La Liga really is a soft, 2-team league that even lacks diversity. Get some money pumping back into Italy and France (PSG and now Monaco!) and I think La Liga could fall to #5.
I have to disagree with you there mate. La Liga is a two horse race but so is a lot of other leagues in Europe. Germany is the same. Outside the top 3, German football is the same. Bayern are a superpower in that league. You know you have a problem when the top team in the league can take the best player from the second best team in the league without a bother.

The German league is a great league for many reasons but at the end of the day, its just the same as La Liga when it comes to winning it. 1,2 maybe 3 teams can only win it and to be honest, it looks like Bayern are going to be the team that walks away with it for years now that the will have Pep, Goetze, maybe Lewandowski and more cash to spend than the Irish economy.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Sine we're talking about the balance and depth of various league's, here are a list of the top 3 finishers since 2000:

Bundesliga:

Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen, Borussia Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuggart have all won titles. Schalke 04, Bayer Leverkussen and Hamburger SV have all had top 3 finishes. With the exception of Hamburger SV, all of these teams have multiple top 3 finishes since 2000.

Premiere League:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United have all won titles. Liverpool and Newcastle United have also had top 3 finishes. Newcastle has only 1 top 3 finish and Liverpool has had more than 1.

Serie A:

Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Roma have won titles. Lazio, Napoli and Udinese have had top 3 finishes. Lazio has had multiple top 3 finishes. All of the winners have multiple top 3 finishes.

La Liga:

Real Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona have won titles. Each club have won multiple titles. Real Sociedad, Villareal, Sevilla and Deportivo La Caruna have all had top 3 finishes. All of these clubs have had multiple top 3 finishes.

Ligue 1:

Nantes, Lyon, Bordeaux, Lille, Marseille and Montpellier have all won titles. Lens, Lens, Monaco, PSG, Toulouse and Auxerre have all had top 3 finishes. Aside from Lens and Auxerre, all of the other clubs have multiple top 3 finishes.

Primeira Liga:

Boavista, Porto, Sporting CP and Benfica have all won titles. Braga and Vitoria de Guimaraes have had top 3 finishes. All clubs except Vitoria de Guimaraes have had multiple top 3 finishes.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 AM

286 posts, read 331,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Barca arent gone by any means, it wont take more than a few players to spruce the squad up to dominate like they have been doing. You dont just go bad like that and its not like they dont have the financial backing to buy their way out of the situation.
Their core is old and they will have problems replacing Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta because of their reputations with the club.

UEFA can keep crowning those guys as the best X1 in Europe while they keep declining.

Also, you are ignoring the Spanish economy in this issue. They are unable to purchase players without selling off assets. No longer can Barcelona & Madrid go on shopping sprees centered on ridiculous loans from Spanish banks. Yes they should be okay this offseason after shifting pieces by selling off guys like Villa/Fabregas but they are in no position to stockpile talent like Bayern currently is.

Bayern will go on a legit 3+ year run and eclipse the 09-12 Barcelona team.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Run? You make me laugh, if you think that is the end of Barca you are mad.
Winning Champions League Cups? Yeah this core is probably done. Next is their World Cup crown.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
This is crazy, you all say Barca is the best thing ever less than two month ago now they are awful. Have a word, making yourselves look silly.
As someone that actually watches Bundesliga, I recognized Barca was weaker. This was no surprise to me

Not trying to pick on you but I bet you don't or ever have watched the German Domestic League

Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Exactly if Bayern lose their 3rd final in 4 years and Barca strengthen, which they will, in the summer - then the tides could turn back in Barcas direction. They still have the best player on earth and a sh:t load of money to spend. Barca are entitled to have one poor season (if you can call it poor) after the dominance of the past few years.
They don't have ''a **** load of money to spend''

Spanish banks are done

The Madness of Spanish Banks and Football | The Expat Hub

"When Real Madrid bought Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka the club took out a staggering loan of 136 million Euros to buy just two players. The banks didn’t hesitate and even gave the club a low, low rate of 1.5%, a normal business would normally have to pay double that."

Barcelona secure 155 million euro bank loan
Barcelona secure 155 million euro bank loan | Reuters

"new club president Sandro Rosell revealed they had been forced into the move for cash flow reasons, as they were struggling to pay important commitments such as the salaries of players, coaching staff and employees."

"A report from ESADE that looks into transfer activity in Europe’s top soccer leagues has revealed that La Liga has seen total transfer investment drop by a whopping 62 percent during the 2012-2013 season. Of the top five leagues, Spain saw the lowest investment, spending just $187 million in the summer and winter transfer markets this year. By comparison, the English Premier League spent $1.02 billion, Serie A spent $570 million, the Bundesliga $362 million and Ligue 1 $330 million."

Like I said, Barcelona still has assets like Villa/Fabregas to sell off so they can remain a contender. But expect more exodus from La Liga and that includes these two teams. The dominance is over.

You could make the claim that as Euro Union bails out Spanish Banks, Germany (among others) funded Barcelona and Real. IMO, it was poetic justice to see them get man handled.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
As someone that actually watches Bundesliga, I recognized Barca was weaker. This was no surprise to me

Not trying to pick on you but I bet you don't or ever have watched the German Domestic League
I watch at least one game from Germany and highlights of every German game every week, so jog on.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are still loaded, even though the Spanish economy is declining.

Keep it coming boyo, I'll provide you evidence if you want. Show you up.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was the end of an era, that was someone else. But it's the high-lighted part that shows the inappropriate blind faith of too many Barca fans.
Yeah, I said that, and frankly, I do think it is the end of an era we're witnessing. Of course, Barça will still be a great team, one of the best in Europe. But they will no longer be this nearly invincible force, this super-team dominating Europe the way they did the last five, six years. They will be one of the best teams - but together with a couple of other teams. No longer the out-of-this-world team they were for a couple of years.

And also what Thetroof said: Spanish banks are not giving away free lunches anymore the way they used to do it. I'm a huge La Liga fan, always will be, but economically they're in dire straits. No arguing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer