Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
i wish they showed the german league on fox soccer; they used to and i used to catch games here and there. Very similar to the EPL in my mind, fast aggressive play, fun to watch and man are their fans dedicated. great league
That would be nice since FSC lost rights to Serie A. Does Gol TV still have rights to the Bundelisga? I would watch a match here and there over the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:24 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
German football would be nice on Fox Soccer, the college ball isnt exactly a great swap for Serie A and the increased repeats of BPL makes me question why I have the channel in the first place now. I think if it wasnt for the Aussie league I would have just downgraded by now.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,778 times
I used to follow Bundesliga a lot during 90's. Dortmund were force back then either.
They won the CL in 1997 beating a Juventus side with Zidane, Deschamps etc in the team. Remember Karl Heinz Riedle anyone ? They had players like Sammer, Reuter, Lars Ricken (whatever happened to him?)....
So, it is not surprise they are doing well now. They are not yesterdays team like Man City is.
They only have 12 pts this season so far and already are far behind Bayern, but I think their main focus may be trying to do well in CL. They are champions of Germany for 2 years in a row, so it is just natural now that Bayern will win it this year.
Difference between Dortmund and Bayern is that Bayern is very consistent year after year, but then again they are the best organized German club. Dortmund is rising for a few years then change its team and its struggles for a while and then come back again. They work in cycles, at least for the last 20 years or so.
They used to show many Bundesliga games on ESPN3, but I think GOL TV took over Bundesliga and there are no more games on ESPN3.com.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
I used to follow Bundesliga a lot during 90's. Dortmund were force back then either.
They won the CL in 1997 beating a Juventus side with Zidane, Deschamps etc in the team. Remember Karl Heinz Riedle anyone ? They had players like Sammer, Reuter, Lars Ricken (whatever happened to him?)....
So, it is not surprise they are doing well now. They are not yesterdays team like Man City is.
They only have 12 pts this season so far and already are far behind Bayern, but I think their main focus may be trying to do well in CL. They are champions of Germany for 2 years in a row, so it is just natural now that Bayern will win it this year.
Difference between Dortmund and Bayern is that Bayern is very consistent year after year, but then again they are the best organized German club. Dortmund is rising for a few years then change its team and its struggles for a while and then come back again. They work in cycles, at least for the last 20 years or so.
They used to show many Bundesliga games on ESPN3, but I think GOL TV took over Bundesliga and there are no more games on ESPN3.com.
They still are.

2010-2011 Bundesliga League Champs, the same for last year. They just haven't taken it up to the next level like in 97.

Borussia Dortmund is the only team that has me worried ALOT in the CL.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Scotlands Paul Lambert played for Dortmund in 1997, I remember it. Always had a soft spot for them since then. Their derby with Schalke is insane also. And the football they are playing is the best in Europe outside Madrid and Barcelona lately.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
i wish they showed the german league on fox soccer; they used to and i used to catch games here and there. Very similar to the EPL in my mind, fast aggressive play, fun to watch and man are their fans dedicated. great league
I would of thought they did. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the US have a big German population?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,986 times
I have a lot of respect for Dortmund. Klopp reminds me of Rodgers at Liverpool and what Rodgers is trying to do. When he came in to that Dortmund team, they were not doing so great and he made them great. League champions twice and great crowd and nice stadium. Not bad if I say so myself.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,534 times
The Midwest has a lot of germans but they're so far removed they're watching football or baseball or whatever

Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Scotlands Paul Lambert played for Dortmund in 1997, I remember it. Always had a soft spot for them since then. Their derby with Schalke is insane also. And the football they are playing is the best in Europe outside Madrid and Barcelona lately.
Same with me: ever since seeing them win in '97, I've kept track of them. I'd love to once see a game in Westfalenstadion: in my book, it's the greatest stadium in all of Europe . And the way Klopp lets them play is spectacular indeed. Ah, what a team

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM

36 posts, read 54,008 times
In favor of the game joy; I will be happy to see new contenders breaking the legend of
Barca and competing on the title; may be Dortmund, Malaga or even Ajax can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer