Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
the World Cup got better TV ratings than the World Series!!! You've lost the plot mister!!!
The World Cup ALWAYS gets better ratings.

Now try bringing up numbers for just regular MLS games...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
the olympics get great ratings, but don't expect to see swiming, track or gymnastics on TV every weekend with any sort of audience............

Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The World Cup ALWAYS gets better ratings.

Now try bringing up numbers for just regular MLS games...

i was responding to this statement: "It's pretty much beaten in that soccer doesn't work on tv in this country as well as other sports..."

Which of course is nonsense. As I pointed out the World Cup beat the World Series in TV ratings.

The Euro Championships get good ratings on ESPN

NBC is getting good ratings with the EPL

Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
i was responding to this statement: "It's pretty much beaten in that soccer doesn't work on tv in this country as well as other sports..."

Which of course is nonsense. As I pointed out the World Cup beat the World Series in TV ratings.
And I told YOU to compare it to times when it's NOT the World Cup or championship matches. The World Cup will always get good ratings, just like the Olympics, but it doesn't mean that it's always best on tv. Compare it to when it's just the Houston Dynamo vs. Seattle Sounders or any EPL game.

(And I also find it interesting you didn't compare it to Super Bowl numbers...)

Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
And I told YOU to compare it to times when it's NOT the World Cup or championship matches. The World Cup will always get good ratings, just like the Olympics, but it doesn't mean that it's always best on tv. Compare it to when it's just the Houston Dynamo vs. Seattle Sounders or any EPL game.

(And I also find it interesting you didn't compare it to Super Bowl numbers...)
what do you mean by "best on tv"?

what exactly is your argument? That soccer is not watched on TV in the US?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
what do you mean by "best on tv"?

what exactly is your argument? That soccer is not watched on TV in the US?
NO.

I'm saying that the casual American sports fan is least likely to watch a typical soccer match over a typical football, basketball, or baseball match. Depending where you are, you could even throw in hockey with that.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
NO.

I'm saying that the casual American sports fan is least likely to watch a typical soccer match over a typical football, basketball, or baseball match. Depending where you are, you could even throw in hockey with that.
Ok then..that i agree with.

Given that reality, why does MLS cater to the casual fan so often at the expense of (for the lack of a better word) the traditional fan?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Ok then..that i agree with.

Given that reality, why does MLS cater to the casual fan so often at the expense of (for the lack of a better word) the traditional fan?
Because you NEED those causal fans. Traditional soccer fans (and I'm just saying) tend to be snobs and only care about the sport if it follows exactly what Europe is doing. That' just not going to happen.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Because you NEED those causal fans. Traditional soccer fans (and I'm just saying) tend to be snobs and only care about the sport if it follows exactly what Europe is doing. That' just not going to happen.
more traditional soccer fans in this country than any other demo. And casual fans are just as likely to adopt the traditional fan narrative when it comes to the sport.

I've got a buddy that just got into the sport this year and he's constantly saying that MLS is too Americanized for him.

To be honest I've found hardcore MLS fans to the be snobbiest. You mention to them something you think MLS is doing wrong and they try to bully you into shutting up. Just look at the site big soccer. There's a gang of MLS homers on there that bully any members on that site that want to see certain changes in MLS.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Big Soccer is gob****e central for football. I hated that place 5 minutes after I registered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer