Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Wow, so you don't like that American teams name themselves after historical, geographical, or whatever...so the teams give themsleves nicknames and the EPL teams get nicknames in some other way...Wow, the Baggies nearly pulled that game out against the Potters. How do you think they'll do against the Toffees?
I dont care what American teams call themselves, i don't care about.their names because it is what it is.

I think Potters, Baggies and Toffees are great nick names. They're not actual names

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think Potters, Baggies and Toffees are great nick names. They're not actual names
But the EPL clubs support those nicknames and even create merchandise witht those nicknames, just like the Chicago Fire does. They end up serving the same purpose.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
yep

and again - not a single person has said that the rest of the world should adopt things to the way that the US does it .... not even close to that - so I'm really not sure where that piece of wisdom came from

Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM

If you cant see the arrogance in ragging about euro names in America and how they need to change to American names else youre not going to watch and how i just mocked it because its stupid i can't help you.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM

it's not that they are euro names

it's that they are names that have no connection to the market

that is the disconnect

no one cares that they have a euro background - it's that they have a background that is very specific to a region

again, it would be like having the Sheffield Mariners - the issue wouldn't be that the name came from a coastal town, the issue would be that there simply aren't Mariners in that part of the country

standard practice when you get to name your own team is that you typically name them something that has some sort of meaning - it's not that you simply pluck a name that has marketable value in another region and attach it to your product to simply try and increase your brand

it would be like if Englad started up a basketball league and the London team chose the Laker moniker to go with it .... the name wouldn't be dumb because it's foreign, it would be dumb in that it has no representation to the city you are representing

and even if it were as simple as raggin on euro names being used in the states, that wouldn't be putting down euro names being used in europe or saying that all euro teams should use american names .... the later would be arrogant and trying to impose our way onto others, the former not so much ... there is a definite break in those two thoughts

Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM

The OP sure has a problem with "Euro-copy" in the names. Its arrogant.

I personally dont like any of the nickname style names. LA Galaxy, LAFC would be better for me, and Galaxy as a nickname if they wanted or whatever. It doesnt irk me enough to cry about it though. I usually call them LA, Colorado, Houston, Kansas (poor steves heart breaks everytime I say that), DC etc. I rarely use the nickname parts of the name.

Its arrogant to say that the US based teams HAVE to have American style names. Some do, some dont. Whats the big deal. I think the market and rising attendance every year for all teams (havent checked 2013 avgs yet) shows that American based football fans dont care about it.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
If you cant see the arrogance in ragging about euro names in America and how they need to change to American names else youre not going to watch and how i just mocked it because its stupid i can't help you.

I still will watch the MLS and I won't stop because if their team names. All I said was that adding "Real" in front of a team from Salt Lake City or "Sporting" for a company with 1 team seemed odd. I personally don't think they need to change their name, they can do whatever they want, they just seem meaningless. Why wouldn't they choose a name that has some sort of relevance?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Its arrogant to say that the US based teams HAVE to have American style names.
No it isn't.

It would be arrogant to say that european teams need to have american style names.

From a marketing standpoint it does seem lame to use copy-cat names that have no association to your area - not to mention it does nothing to draw a connection to your city.

Again, London Lakers would be a horrible basketball name (its bad enough they didn't change it when they moved from Mpls - I guess you could give them a short term pass and say a London team was simply being ironic as they have about the same amount of identification to lakes as LA does)

Look at the demographics in/around SLC and explain how in the world naming your team "Real" makes an ounce of sense? - It doesn't.

What do you think would happen if they started a new english team and slapped some of these names on them ....... could you imagine a Bayern Birmingham? Real Wigan? Dynamo Manchester? ... that would never fly - I couldn't begin to imagine the outrage

But if an American were to object................

Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Its arrogant no matter what way you look at it. I dont see how saying they need to change to the way you want isn't arrogant.

Is there lakes around London ?

Bayern Birmingham is ok with me. Nobody would be outraged, they would probably have a good laugh at their expense and wouldn't support them. Obviously Houston Dynamo and the other names do.work in their market as their attendances are going up.

The only truely stupid name is Real Salt Lake because they wanna be Spanish. Its stupid because Spanish teams were given Real and rsl just took it and it looks stupid. But who cares anyway, its Utah ffs. Im not gonna get all butt hurt about it.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Yeah, an english team tethering their identity to bavaria .... that would definitely go over well.............

aligning your sports program to a soviet sports enterprise that had a long history of being tied into groups like the KGB, i'm sure that would go over really well indeed

this is obviously going nowhere..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer