Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I didn't see this before I did the other thread, can you delete my other one John ?

Anyway since it's official I think its a dumb move. NY doesn't deserve two teams, Red Bulls have a nice Stadium and Henry and cant fill it. It's viciously a money move by MLS and not a way to improve the league by MLS. Which one of the teams will be the next Chivas with an empty stadium ? Id personally like to see Red Bull disappear and in a deserving city with a proper name.

On a side note, how butt hurt are people because of a Euro name lok

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Seems like bad move. I would rather see a city that doesn't have an MLS franchise get an expansion team. New York doesn't need 2 MLS teams.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
not butt hurt ... but it is pretty stupid ...... then again, red bulls is pretty stupid

will be interesting to see if having the stadium in queens makes much of a difference ....... wouldn't have quite the neighborhood feel that you could get in the city, however there is definitely a sporting infrastructure there in place between the baseball stadium and tennis complex

the backing is definitely strong and they should have some better structure than the other NY team ...... I could see this essentially choking out the RBs, even if the league would ultimately hope for 2 strong teams in the metro

Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
not butt hurt ... but it is pretty stupid ...... then again, red bulls is pretty stupid

will be interesting to see if having the stadium in queens makes much of a difference ....... wouldn't have quite the neighborhood feel that you could get in the city, however there is definitely a sporting infrastructure there in place between the baseball stadium and tennis complex

the backing is definitely strong and they should have some better structure than the other NY team ...... I could see this essentially choking out the RBs, even if the league would ultimately hope for 2 strong teams in the metro
This will definitely hurt the New York Red bulls attendance. Most New Yorkers will no longer support the Red Bull franchise. It sort of similar to the New Jersey Nets(NBA) situation except the that Red Bulls could possibly relocate out of the metropolitan area.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM

yeah - the teams that play in north jersey typically don't do all that well when facing direct competition from teams that play in the city

where this will get tricky is that they have a brand new, 25k seat, $200M soccer specific stadium - I'm sure there is a good lease in place for it and after spending so much time to negotiate for the stadium to be built it would be really bad form to usher a team out of there ...... I'm sure NJ is relatively unhappy as it is

then you run into the catch-22 ....... the team is "NY" by proximity .... the city drives everything .... those in the city will be more apt to attach to the city team .... those in NJ may not feel any extra connection to go watch a "NY" team in NJ, however if you do a complete rebrand and switch it over to being the Newark Red Bulls (or something similar) you're going to sever what drives the market (NYC) ...... the Red Bulls have improved to be an average draw, but aren't really tearing it up from attendance

there also isn't a huge sporting rivalry in the area .... this isn't like seattle/portland that had a long history that reignited .... it will take a long time if they want to grow a rivalry between the teams .... what is more likely to happen is you'll have a big brother/little brother setup where one is the premier franchise and the other fight for the limelight

good things are that it's still easily connected to the metros on public transport, there is a fun district within walking distance to the stadium and the stadium is well done ......... maybe it will work and both teams will benefit

I just have a hard time seeing it

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Be good to have a derby, A city like New York deserves a derby.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM

Just not the way it works over here

Having two teams in an area on it's own doesn't create heat ....... especially when one isn't actually in the city .... even when they are it takes a long, long time for anything to really get going

Most of the cities with multiple teams have a big brother/little brother setup .... while there may be a little rivalry, there isn't all that much heat ..... the big exception that comes to the top of my head are the chicago baseball teams, which have more of that neighborhood identification from 100 years ago

For the most part, modern teams draw from their entire city and bring diverse, yet relatively similar grouping of fans

While there could be the potential of what you see with the Oakland Raiders / SF 49ers where you have some legitimate bad blood due to some unsavory elements from those respective cities I don't think it's likely you'd get the same with a NYC team and a NJ team (with or without the NY name) ..... it hasn't happened in any of the other sports ..... the Devils always had more heat with Philadelphia than with the Rangers .... the Knicks/Nets were an afterthought with NY having heat with Boston & Philly for the most part

The natural environment really isn't there - so it would have to be either a competative situation (which given the ownerships you're more likely to have the NYC team flourish and the NJ team relatively flounder a little bit) or a situation where you have contrasting styles/fan bases over time that grow to detest each other (i.e. one being the ritzy, cosmopolitan team drawing the soccer mom front runner fanbase and the other playing a more aggressive, hustling, style drawing support from the working man crowd)

What is most likely is that the NYC fans will simply look down on and ignore the NJ franchise and they'll get relegated to the back pages of media and pretty much looked at as the other team in the market as opposed to an equal team in the market

Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Be good to have a derby, A city like New York deserves a derby.
In an empty stadium though ? Red Bulls can barely get half full it seems and now throw another team with no history into the equation. First season, yeah they will probably do well. After that though, who knows. I am not so sure bringing in the big players will bring in fans like it did for LA, look at NY and Henry.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Should be Miami City FC

That part of the country needs a soccer team.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Now that the MLS will have 20 teams, I wonder how long will it be before the MLS creates divisions. This is how I would divide the teams.

Eastern Conference:
Atlantic Division
D.C. United
New England Revolution
New York Cosmos FC
New York Red Bulls
Philadelphia Union

North Division
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
Montreal Impact
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC

Western Conference
Southwest Division
C.D. Chivas USA
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Los Angeles Galaxy
San Jose Earthquakes

Northwest Division
Colorado Rapids
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Now that the MLS will have 20 teams, I wonder how long will it be before the MLS creates divisions. This is how I would divide the teams.

Eastern Conference:
Atlantic Division
D.C. United
New England Revolution
New York Cosmos FC
New York Red Bulls
Philadelphia Union

North Division
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
Montreal Impact
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC

Western Conference
Southwest Division
C.D. Chivas USA
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Los Angeles Galaxy
San Jose Earthquakes

Northwest Division
Colorado Rapids
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Houston in the West....

Better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer