Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to win the WC in Brazil?
Brazil 19 28.79%
Argentina 10 15.15%
Spain 5 7.58%
Germany 21 31.82%
Italy 1 1.52%
Portugal 0 0%
Netherlands 1 1.52%
Other: Please post your option. 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Argentina have one best player in the world, but the rest are not better than Germanys Ozil, Gotze, Reus or Spains Iniesta or Xavi.

Argentina may have the best player in the tournament, but Spain and Germany will have the best teams with Netherlands a close 3rd. Good teams win the world cup. A single player (Messi) may get Argentina to the quarterfinals or final 16, but not much further than the quarters when they start to play all around teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:49 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Argentina may have the best player in the tournament, but Spain and Germany will have the best teams with Netherlands a close 3rd. Good teams win the world cup. A single player (Messi) may get Argentina to the quarterfinals or final 16, but not much further than the quarters when they start to play all around teams.
I just watched the Barca-Ajax game last night that I recorded. Messi is ridiculously good, every time I see him I am amazed.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
The Netherlands team is in transition. It's not the same team that played in the WC 2010 or Euro 2012, many (if not most) players come from the Dutch league and are still quite young and inexperienced. This is probably one of the worst teams we've had in the past decades. Nobody here is expecting them to bring the cup home, I think most people would be glad if we made it to the QF. It's still a good team of course, as evidenced by our track record since the Euros, but I wouldn't say it's the 3rd best team in the WC. I would put Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, possibly even Colombia and Belgium ahead of us at the moment. Who knows where we will be a year from now though.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Tier 1:
Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany

Tier 2:
the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy

Tier 3:
Colombia, Portugal, England

Tier 4:
Chile, Uruguay, France

Tier 5:
Ivory Coast, Croatia, Russia

Tier 6:
Switzerland, Bosnia, Japan

Tier 7:
Ecuador, Sweden, South Korea

Old 09-21-2013, 03:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tier 1:
Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany

Tier 2:
Chile, Colombia, Uruguay,Belgium,England

Tier 3:
France,Italy,Ecuador,Bosnia,Netherlands

Tier 4:
Portugal,USA

Tier 5:
Sweden, Ivory Coast, Russia

Tier 6:
Switzerland, Costa Rica

Tier 7:
Greece, Ukraine, Nigeria,Ghana,Croatia
Changes are in bold. now it's perfect

Old 09-21-2013, 08:27 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Chile+Uruguay in tier 2, Bosnia+Ecuador in tier 3, USA in 4, Sweden in 5 and Croatia in 7

Japan is not even in your top 25?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
I know, hilarious!

Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
England better than Italy and The Netherlands? Switzerland and Costa Rica better than Croatia and Ghana? USA on par with Portugal? Have you ever watched a football match in your life or are you basing this on how much you like the names of the teams?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
A single player?? Do you know Argentina haves Kun Aguero, an incredible world class player every team will kill to have? Di Maria, whos idol in Real Madrid and has proven to be KEY for this team? Higuain, who has scored millons of goals for argentina and is our top scorer right behind Messi and top in the southamerican qualies? I mean its not like we have Messi and 10 other unknown players. We beat Italy the other day without Messi or Aguero.

Messi is the best, no doubt about it, but this Argentina is dangerous and top 5 team in the world EVEN without Messi. With Messi, they are number one. Without, they are still pretty dangerous and candidates to win it all. An attack with Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria? Im in!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
England better than Italy and The Netherlands? Switzerland and Costa Rica better than Croatia and Ghana? USA on par with Portugal? Have you ever watched a football match in your life or are you basing this on how much you like the names of the teams?
This may sound crazy, but I think USA and Portugal are fairly comparable at the team level. Portugal has a few individuals that are better, but I believe the US is pretty solid. IMO, Croatia was definitely too low on his list, Costa Rica and Engalnd too high. I don't get to see much African soccer, so I go into each WC with no opinion on those national teams, outside of individual players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer