Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:25 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, the World Cup can (and I believe HAS) gotten better TV ratings than the World Series, which hasn't exactly grown lately.

TV ratings aren't everything, dude. We've had this convo before. More people can watch World Cup over the World Series, but line 10 born and raised Americans up and ask each of them which sport is more popular in this country. Ask them which sport they would rather watch, and I guarantee it will be baseball over football.

Soccer has made some major gains in this country, but it's still not as big as the MLB, or NBA, or NFL, and not nearly as big EPL or association football leagues that are NOT in America.
I agree. But I was responding to someone who said that soccer would never be popular in America. Of course it will be popular, it just needs time to enter the culture the way other American sports have. The NBA wasn't important in American culture until the 1980's with Magic and Bird and then Michael Jordan. Prior to that it was a niche sport.

Soccer is different than other American sports because its a global game. And we're in the age of globalization so its the perfect sport for our time. Prior to globalization it would have been very difficult for a sport that has its best players playing overseas to enter our culture. But now American soccer fans and sport fans in general are being cultured into the sport through the English Premier League on NBC, the World Cup, Euro etc. ESPN now shows foreign soccer highlights on Sportscenter almost daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
As I was reading through this I was thinking about something. My kids walk to school in our neighborhood. My boys are crazy about soccer/football and because of this I noticed there were about 10 boys walking down the street in soccer club team jerseys. Barca, AC Milan, Chicago Fire, Chelsea. It was kind of shocking to me as I realized that little kids in our neighborhood had enough interest in international soccer that they would actually wear club team jerseys. We are still dominated by Bears/Cubs/White Sox/Bulls jerseys, of course, but that anyone was wearing a soccer jersey showed that times are changing. I think access to games on TV is changing the landscape. Little kids can relate to professional soccer now that it is actually on TV.

My boys, by the way, probably wear soccer jerseys 3-4 days a week. Flamengo, Spain, Brazil, Fire, and for Christmas they are asking for Messi jerseys.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
As I was reading through this I was thinking about something. My kids walk to school in our neighborhood. My boys are crazy about soccer/football and because of this I noticed there were about 10 boys walking down the street in soccer club team jerseys. Barca, AC Milan, Chicago Fire, Chelsea. It was kind of shocking to me as I realized that little kids in our neighborhood had enough interest in international soccer that they would actually wear club team jerseys. We are still dominated by Bears/Cubs/White Sox/Bulls jerseys, of course, but that anyone was wearing a soccer jersey showed that times are changing. I think access to games on TV is changing the landscape. Little kids can relate to professional soccer now that it is actually on TV.

My boys, by the way, probably wear soccer jerseys 3-4 days a week. Flamengo, Spain, Brazil, Fire, and for Christmas they are asking for Messi jerseys.
nice I'm kinda surprised that the sport has grown that much among non hispanics in chicago. here in miami soccer is the number one sport in town but it's driven by the fact that we are are 2/3 hispanic and non hispanic have adopted the game here.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post

Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Here we are. The Europeans and Latin Americans mock us for it, I know, we don't really care. We are fine with our major sports and only look at soccer during the world cup. But why not? Why not become a super power in most popular sport in the world?
America's best athletes don't play soccer.
If they did, they'd easily be among the best.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
You think! lol, why do you think Americans are 'better' athletes than the rest of the world? something in the water perhaps???

Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
here in miami soccer is the number one sport in town
... is it?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You think! lol, why do you think Americans are 'better' athletes than the rest of the world? something in the water perhaps???
Because you can be 300lbs and run for 5 seconds and be considered an athlete here =)

Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Yeah doing weights and running will make you have the skills of Iniesta or Messi!

Technique is as important as athletism.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:20 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
nice I'm kinda surprised that the sport has grown that much among non hispanics in chicago. here in miami soccer is the number one sport in town but it's driven by the fact that we are are 2/3 hispanic and non hispanic have adopted the game here.
To be clear, I'm not saying it is anywhere near the number one sport around here, just that interest has been growing a lot, especially with younger kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer