Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:57 AM

32 posts, read 72,362 times

Advertisements

My opinion is that Leighton Baines is a waste. He was awful against Chile, his corners were given away, they were short corners at that. His passes, if they weren't stolen they were almost, he barely headed a pass close to his teammates. And the first goal was all his fault, though in the game he tries to talk to someone else like it was theirs. I don't know why he keeps getting picked for the squad.

Verse Germany the performance was much better, though no one would shoot, except Townsend. Off the post was an awesome attempt. There were too many people trying to complete passes instead of have a go at goal. A beautiful header attempt was just put back in the "danger area" instead of on goal. I know that passing is a huge part of the game but you can't score if you don't shoot.

That's my opinion. Any 3 Lions fans care to add or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,183 times
I don't like England's chances at all. Lampard is too old, Gerard is good for his club but no longer for the country. Rooney is the only player even remotely close to being world class, the rest of the squad would probably struggle to break into another European team, except for maybe Joe Hart.

England will be an embarrassment and a laughing stock in Brazil. Ukraine at least played more attractive football.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
I think I'll go somewhere remote away from all forms of communication when Brazil 2014 kicks off.

I fear for our 'team'.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
I don't like England's chances at all. Lampard is too old, Gerard is good for his club but no longer for the country. Rooney is the only player even remotely close to being world class, the rest of the squad would probably struggle to break into another European team, except for maybe Joe Hart.

England will be an embarrassment and a laughing stock in Brazil. Ukraine at least played more attractive football.
Well, maybe the simple fact that expectations will be so low, will be the best gift for the English team.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
Theyre low now, but close to the tournament they will be hyped up as potential winners by their media again and theyll fall in the quarters. Itll be great =)

Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Theyre low now, but close to the tournament they will be hyped up as potential winners by their media again and theyll fall in the quarters. Itll be great =)
you call the quarterfinals a failure? if they make the quarter's that should be celebrated as a huge success. thy will probably finish 2nd in their group and lose in the round of 16.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
you call the quarterfinals a failure? if they make the quarter's that should be celebrated as a huge success. thy will probably finish 2nd in their group and lose in the round of 16.
Read and re read my post until you can comprehend what I said.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I often hear people 'claim' that the English always consider themselves as potential winners but in reality I have NEVER met any Englishman with this belief - in fact I would say on average the English have a bigger 'downer' on their own team than most others. Most nationals are allowed to support their teams and dream their dreams in peace but as soon as an Englishman utters ANYTHING positive about English football scorn rains down on him from all angles!! Why is the world so obsessed with English football and English football fans?? Why do people even care what the English think anyway??? Is it because of the Premiership? I really couldn't say, perhaps a Mexican (for example) should concern him/her self as much with English football as an Englishman would with Mexican football ie not at all. As an Englishman I really couldn't give a sh#t if a Frenchman thinks France can win the world cup or not so why does it bother so many what an Englishman thinks anyway??

Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Well, maybe the simple fact that expectations will be so low, will be the best gift for the English team.
I think they've been low since the year I was born (which was the year England reached the semi finals of a World Cup).

The reality is they are a dismal team that scraped out of a mediocre group. The future doesn't look good either unless the English FA start naturalizing players like Adrian Januzaj as British citizens.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
I think they've been low since the year I was born (which was the year England reached the semi finals of a World Cup).

The reality is they are a dismal team that scraped out of a mediocre group. The future doesn't look good either unless the English FA start naturalizing players like Adrian Januzaj as British citizens.
(Ah the 1990 WC. I'm still traumatized by that round of 16 game against England, David Platt scoring in the last minute of extra-time . I was ten years old, and cried like a baby after that game pfff).

Why is it, btw, that England, not being a small country, with such a huge football tradition and with one of the best leagues in the world, doesn't manage to create some more real world-class players?? Keeps on baffling me.
Of the players that I've actually seen playing (wasn't born in 1966), very few thrilled me. Paul Gascoigne and Matt Le Tissier were probably the only ones. There's very good players such as Wayne Rooney, Gary Lineker, Paul Scholes, Alan Shearer, David Beckham. But for me, only Le Tissier and Gascoigne (funny, the two players with French surnames) really possessed that "spark", that touch of brilliance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer