Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Are you really saying college basketball, hockey and golf are niche sports?
At this point, I'd say hockey is. Hockey is regional. Golf post-Tiger might be, in terms of viewer interest.

As a soccer partisan, I think "general professional soccer (MLS, FIFA, EPL, misc.)" as of now does belong in this second-tier group (NHL, PGA) for American level of spectator interest, however. Ten years hence, things will be different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Last nights MLS game on ESPN was pretty good, lots of goals to be had and its always good to see Energy Drink FC go down

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The media underplays the MLS because it simply does not generate the ratings, or attention needed to justify a large amount of coverage. Again, the MLS is not even the most watched league in its own country, so that is why you see the EPL getting better coverage and the UEFA Champions League.

Are you really saying college basketball, hockey and golf are niche sports?
I think the last stats I read the MLS was equal to or a notch below those sports. I could be wrong but I don't see how they're more covered than MLS. The ratings aren't that poor.

I think attendance to the games is higher than the tv ratings reflect.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
I can see that ratings are kind of up there in interest. So does it follow that in order to have a great US soccer program that the 'ratings' have to be great? Even if fans or the casual viewer comes in to watch how does that translate into getting better soccer players? I know 'watching' denotes interest but it only seems to me to denote interest to advertisers who are keen in knowing how many viewers they are delivering in a telecast. The question is as I see it is 'advertising' more of a focal point rather than getting the soccer program to greater heights? Seems to me it has to start with getting exciting players and having them talked about relentlessly. Just my take.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think the last stats I read the MLS was equal to or a notch below those sports. I could be wrong but I don't see how they're more covered than MLS. The ratings aren't that poor.

I think attendance to the games is higher than the tv ratings reflect.
Correct. Soccer is a sport that is best watched with a group of friends at the stadium. The atmosphere in English stadiums, for example, is phenomenal. Even MLS has great atmosphere for Portland and Seattle home matches. I don't live anywhere near a MLS club so I have watched it over the years through the internet.

The league has progressed strongly year by year and is a good product right now. Hopefully those managing it will not let the salary cap slip too soon or too quickly. What makes MLS better to watch than most leagues is the parity that exists. Too many of the European leagues are dominated by a small clique of rich clubs who buy the best players and put some of them on the bench or in the stands. It's one thing to strengthen your squad twice a year; it's another to strengthen your squad AND weaken the opposition at the same time.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
if an MLS team sells a player (for example Roma wants to pay $8 million for Yedlin), who gets the money? MLS or the team?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
if an MLS team sells a player (for example Roma wants to pay $8 million for Yedlin), who gets the money? MLS or the team?
Depends. I don't exactly know the rules, but the league cuts a cut either way. If it is a homegrown player, like Yedlin, then the team gets a larger cut of the transfer.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:34 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Easy,
start showing the games on "over-the-air stations" (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX)

Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I know, right. I don't get why these networks don't just air the games prime time like they do the other big sports? Why is MLS still on ESPN 2?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Easy,
start showing the games on "over-the-air stations" (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX)
A crazy idea that just might work.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer