Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

Have you considered MLS Live ? Its a truly great service with every single game on it. You can watch full match, reduced length or highlights of every game any time. I stream it to my TV via Roku in HD. I bought the Roku app mainly for MLS Live too.

When I had TV I could get Altitude with Dish so I was always able to view Colroado's games but looked for alternatives when I got sick of high bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM

245 posts, read 298,478 times
How come the EPL one of the best leagues in the world is on NBCSN with all the games but a 17 or 18 old competition is hardly on local tv, they don't even broadcast all of the home team games.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Have you considered MLS Live ? Its a truly great service with every single game on it. You can watch full match, reduced length or highlights of every game any time. I stream it to my TV via Roku in HD. I bought the Roku app mainly for MLS Live too.
You know, maybe I will look into it. I have generally been against paying for live sports, but I should consider this. I actually care to watch some other teams this year. I am excited to see how TFC and Seattle incorporate their recent signings into their teams. I'd like to see Keene with two fixed achiles. Watching reduced length games would be nice, as my wife would probably divorce me if I started watching every full game.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
2014 MLS preview - The Washington Post

A MLS preview in the Post- Opening day starts this weekend.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:29 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
We were talking TV viewership in this thread and I saw this article yesterday. NBC has best viewership month of EPL in February during the Olympics.

Premier League has Most-Watched Month in U.S. History in February on NBCUniversal - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 PM

255 posts, read 402,724 times
I seriously think MLS needs to drop the playoffs. American soccer fans watch the EPL more than any other soccer league. A league that does not use playoffs. So, why would the powers that be think they could sell us on MLS playoffs? Soccer is not the NFL. And before someone leaves the snooty reply that the Mexican soccer league has the most viewers, I am talking about english speaking viewers.

I really wish the league would have stopped at 20 teams and then started to build up a D2. A 20 team single table with promotion/relegation is what would work best in this country.

But we're stuck with 24 teams and possibly more. We're stuck with ex-NFL goobs they have no idea what it takes to run a soccer league. They seriously think soccer is just like the NFL.

Can a soccer league with conferences, playoffs, salary caps, no free agency be appealing to soccer fans in this country?

Maybe to a handful of twerps that post on the MLS forum on bigsoccer.com. But the majority of soccer fans in this country really want nothing to do with MLS.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 PM

358 posts, read 451,210 times
For what it's worth, I am an MLS fan and couldn't care less about the English league or how it's run. Not all soccer fans are English fundamentalists.

I very much enjoy the playoffs. It's exciting and entertaining. Playoffs are not just an NFL thing, by the way.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 PM

255 posts, read 402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
For what it's worth, I am an MLS fan and couldn't care less about the English league or how it's run. Not all soccer fans are English fundamentalists.

I very much enjoy the playoffs. It's exciting and entertaining. Playoffs are not just an NFL thing, by the way.
What's an English fundamentalist?

Some people do enjoy MLS playoffs. But not enough. They get horrendous TV ratings.

The difference between soccer and other American sports is that in soccer you have cup tournaments. These are playoff tournaments.

We have the US Open Cup in this country that is our version of the FA Cup. That's your playoff right there.

So, what's the reason for a playoff to decide who wins the league? I'm not being facetious. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I'd actually follow MLS if it was a proper league with a league champion. It's just pointless to follow this league when they let over half the teams into playoffs to decide what should have been decided through a simple season long round-robin.

And then MLS wonders why the WNBA beats them in TV ratings. Most soccer fans agree with me.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
The US Open Cup is terrible, I cross my fingers that we get knocked out every time. Thankfully we usually field weaker squads and get knocked out. Its not a real cup competition when you buy home games.

IMHO there is no way to say who is ultimately the best for that year unless you play each team twice. The way we have it you play one team three times and another once, I hate that. Having said that I do love football and will continue to watch MLS and my Colorado!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
I seriously think MLS needs to drop the playoffs. American soccer fans watch the EPL more than any other soccer league. A league that does not use playoffs. So, why would the powers that be think they could sell us on MLS playoffs? Soccer is not the NFL. And before someone leaves the snooty reply that the Mexican soccer league has the most viewers, I am talking about english speaking viewers.

I really wish the league would have stopped at 20 teams and then started to build up a D2. A 20 team single table with promotion/relegation is what would work best in this country.

But we're stuck with 24 teams and possibly more. We're stuck with ex-NFL goobs they have no idea what it takes to run a soccer league. They seriously think soccer is just like the NFL.

Can a soccer league with conferences, playoffs, salary caps, no free agency be appealing to soccer fans in this country?

Maybe to a handful of twerps that post on the MLS forum on bigsoccer.com. But the majority of soccer fans in this country really want nothing to do with MLS.
The harping on the playoffs is really strange. Americans WANT playoffs. I'm not saying that it's a better determination of what is the best team (as it often isn't), but the culture here absolutely demands playoffs. That's non-negotiable. It certainly isn't the reason why MLS isn't popular.

Instead, it's simply that Americans want to watch the best of the best. The best basketball, baseball and hockey players all come to the United States (and we're the only country that really plays football en masse), whereas the best soccer players go to Europe instead of here. That's why Americans enjoy the World Cup and watching the US Men's National Team, but aren't interested in what they consider to be the soccer equivalent of Double-A minor league baseball. If MLS could get Premier League-quality players, then it would be an entirely different ballgame.

Now, I agree that the single entity format and salary caps are directly impeding the MLS ever moving up the food chain internationally. Those are legitimate reasons why the MLS is being held back. It definitely has nothing to do with playoffs, though. Americans, for better or worse, demand winner-take-all games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer