Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I wouldn't go that far. We should have won the WC in 1974/78 or 1998. But that French team in 1998 was truly legendary and they beat Brazil 3-0 in the final so you can't argue with that. And although Spain is much criticised these days, people will still be talking about this tiki-taka generation decades from now.
The Netherlands of 1974 and Brazil of 1982 were considered the best teams that never won an WC. They were pure magic and inspirational, their legacy still lives. If you have a chance to watch them play, it's worth it. They were so ridiculously talented and technical that it makes any modern soccer team look amateurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 PM

330 posts, read 544,875 times
I think this match was brilliantly played by both teams and could have been won by either. The Dutch should keep their heads up.

Javier Mascherano is .... immense!.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:
We must have seen a different game then because from my pov, Argentina barely had any real chances either. Argentina had 8 shots (5 on target) compared to 7 for the Netherlands (3 on target). Both had an equal number of corner kicks and offsides while the Netherlands slightly dominated ball possession (53%). This was probably the most even match-up I've seen this entire WC. No team deserved to win more than the other so I can live with the fact that it went to penalties. It's just a shame to miss out on the final this way.

i still think the loss of di maria was part of why this game went to PK. i hope he can recoup by sunday because without him, im not sure who's going to support mesi

i agree that this was the better game in terms of overall "balance" (but i don't think it was balanced tbh). i still think that argentina played it safe and more defensive without di maria in that line up. imo, hes helped dictate the flow of their offense. Not the best, but that argentine offense can get to you if you assume they have nothing but mesi.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i still think the loss of di maria was part of why this game went to PK. i hope he can recoup by sunday because without him, im not sure who's going to support mesi

i agree that this was the better game in terms of overall "balance" (but i don't think it was balanced tbh). i still think that argentina played it safe and more defensive without di maria in that line up. imo, hes helped dictate the flow of their offense. Not the best, but that argentine offense can get to you if you assume they have nothing but mesi.
If we're going down that route, who knows how far we would have made it if Strootman hadn't gotten injured right before the WC started. Strootman was one of only three players (Robben and Van Persie were the others) that was always guaranteed a place in the starting 11. Van Gaal was very clear about that. When he got injured, a lot of people thought we would embarrass ourselves at the WC. But there's no use in thinking "what if..." We exceeded expectations and this was a great experience for a lot of young players in this team. Now we have to look forward to Euro 2016.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,424 times
I thought both played pretty well today. It was a hard fought, strategic game. What can I say, I like defensive games.

That being said, I thought Argentina and the Netherlands both looked flat today. Lackluster if that makes any sense to some of you. The teams just didn't have that spark and it's not the first time in this tournament I've thought that about either team. Brazil's play this WC has often struck me the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I don't know about that. Brazilians are all about keeping their lead in WC wins. If Germany wins they will get too close with 4 championships and tie with Italy. If Argentina wins they will get to 3 and still be 8 years away from matching with Brazil, if they win every WC for now on, that is.
See, I don't know about that either. Theirs wins will take second place to Argentina winning on their soil after that humiliating defeat. Now eventually, I think their wins will be the thing they console themselves with but it will take them awhile to get there. Prior to it will be angst and drama to rival any over the top soap opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
That's why it would be epic, haha. Of course it's not her fault, but it's funny how the results of the World Cup change the voting intentions. If Brazil had won, her reelection would be guaranteed.
LOL Okay that's a level of twisted I can totally appreciate. I must admit I can't quite wrap my head around a win determining the presidency. I know it's absolutely true but it's still boggling!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
The ARG/NED match was pretty even. Both sides had a few chances to score. Nothing too exciting. It came down to the PKs and ARG executed on their kicks. You HAVE to score on your first PK. The best strikers need to kick first. Anyway, I was leaning for NED to win. I'm not too sure who will win the final. I want GER to be champion though. I hope it's a great match with no extra time and PKs.

-Cheers.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

im crying

the country today is a crazy party outside

omg

:c rying:

Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Congratulations, Argentina, this is what i call a good game.

Argentina vs Germany in the finals.

Thank you thank you im crying, we are all crying, this is amazing,

Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:
If we're going down that route, who knows how far we would have made it if Strootman hadn't gotten injured right before the WC started. Strootman was one of only three players (Robben and Van Persie were the others) that was always guaranteed a place in the starting 11. Van Gaal was very clear about that. When he got injured, a lot of people thought we would embarrass ourselves at the WC. But there's no use in thinking "what if..." We exceeded expectations and this was a great experience for a lot of young players in this team. Now we have to look forward to Euro 2016.

if we went down that way... who knows how far the US team would've made it if Altidore wasnt hurt and/or Donovan was in the line up since the formation completely changed and Beasley was forced to play completely different than what he was used to play. Not saying we'd be playing Germany again but I doubt the outcome vs Portugal would've been the same.

whats happened before the WC doesn't matter. what matters is what you have DURING the WC. the dutch couldn't pull it and I felt they should've lost last round IMO.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM

People celebrating in 9 de julio avenue

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer