Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would actually count 0-1 a good result given the difference between the team
levels.
For sure. Now we're in the knockout stage. Curious to see how the US manages their games now since if you lose you are out.They aren't exactly smooth in attack but I'd suggest that if they convert the chances they get when they are in that final third things can change badly for an opponent. I thought we had some good shots in the Germany game. My thinking is the higher we go the chances are tougher to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
If they beat either Belgium or Algeria, the next team to beat would be either Argentina or Switzerland. That doesn't seem too bad after getting out of the group of death, eh? Although if we get that far we would have to face off with a possible Holland.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:17 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If they beat either Belgium or Algeria, the next team to beat would be either Argentina or Switzerland. That doesn't seem too bad after getting out of the group of death, eh? Although if we get that far we would have to face off with a possible Holland.
Argentina have a few REALLY good players on their team...like 20 of them, not counting Messi, Di Maria, and Aguerro, which are way better than REALLY good. Also, it would be like a home game for Argentina, I hear they have tons of fans at their games.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Argentina have a few REALLY good players on their team...like 20 of them, not counting Messi, Di Maria, and Aguerro, which are way better than REALLY good. Also, it would be like a home game for Argentina, I hear they have tons of fans at their games.
I have very little doubt if the US were to make it to play Argentina that 50% or more of the stadium would be clad in light blue screaming for Argentina. Just look at their first 3 matches this World Cup, more than half the stadiums were filled with fans from Argentina.

All of the South American teams have been very well supported thus far.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM

I just counted what federations made it out of the group stage (assuming Belgium and Russia move on) compared to how many teams made it in. CAF and AFC had pretty poor results, but CONCACAF and CONMEBOL did really well...CONCACAF maybe surprising the most with Costa Rica winning their group, USA edging out Portugal and Ghana, and Mexico going from horrible in qualifying to pretty tough now. If Algeria or S Korea make it out, things will change up

UEFA: 7/13
CONMEBOL: 5/6
CONCACAF: 3/4
CAF: 1/5
AFC: 0/4

4 of the 5 CONMEBOL teams are in one quadrant of the bracket, all CONCACAF teams are in one half of the bracket, and UEFA is dispersed much more evenly.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I just counted what federations made it out of the group stage (assuming Belgium and Russia move on) compared to how many teams made it in. CAF and AFC had pretty poor results, but CONCACAF and CONMEBOL did really well...CONCACAF maybe surprising the most with Costa Rica winning their group, USA edging out Portugal and Ghana, and Mexico going from horrible in qualifying to pretty tough now. If Algeria or S Korea make it out, things will change up

UEFA: 7/13
CAF: 1/5

4 of the 5 CONMEBOL teams are in one quadrant of the bracket, all CONCACAF teams are in one half of the bracket, and UEFA is dispersed much more evenly.
hmmm, Algeria scored when I wrote this, so it ends up:

UEFA: 6/13
CAF: 2/5

Old 06-26-2014, 04:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
hmmm, Algeria scored when I wrote this, so it ends up:

UEFA: 6/13
CAF: 2/5
So I guess it's time for the 2014 edition of the "Decline of Europe"? hyperbole/speculation.

On one hand, the Americas went a combined 8/10 in the Group Stage while UEFA got less than 50% through, with high profile teams like Italy, Spain, and England among the losers. Also, this is a historic first for CAF, as this is the first tournament where they've had two teams through to the knockout round.

On the other hand, I think the final will see Holland beating France.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Germany gets an easy round of 16!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
So I guess it's time for the 2014 edition of the "Decline of Europe"? hyperbole/speculation.

On one hand, the Americas went a combined 8/10 in the Group Stage while UEFA got less than 50% through, with high profile teams like Italy, Spain, and England among the losers. Also, this is a historic first for CAF, as this is the first tournament where they've had two teams through to the knockout round.

On the other hand, I think the final will see Holland beating France.
There have been some grumblings that the European teams have not dealt with the weather all that well. Which makes the notion of playing the World Cup in 2022 in the desert, in the summer a daunting prospect for some teams.

It's not too surprising the South American teams have done well. They're playing on their home continent, which means they all want to do well and they've all enjoyed a home field like atmosphere for their matches.

You might say between France and Netherlands, Europe has 2 of the 3 or 4 best looking teams right now.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
The US can beat that Belgium side that showed up today. Hopefully they play the same for the next round!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer