Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 06:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,243 times

Advertisements

Robben even admitted he was diving in the first half against Mexico.

Arjen Robben admits diving for a penalty... but not for the injury-time spot-kick that put Holland through and dumped out Mexico | Mail Online

Now he may even face disciplinary action from FIFA.

Arjen Robben could face disciplinary action following admission he dived during Holland's 2-1 victory over Mexico in World Cup second round | Mail Online

Oh, and Mexico's coach Herrera thinks Robben is a cheat.

Miguel Herrera labels Arjen Robben a cheat as Mexico boss fumes at Dutchman's diving | Mail Online

Last edited by itsjustmeagain; 06-30-2014 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
What's with all the love for Miguel Herrera (Mexico's manager)? He made the fatal sin of predicting victory (over the Netherlands), which is universally accepted as a stupid thing to do in any sport. Yet folks before and after the game showered him with praise. He also coached a terrible second half, just trying to make one goal hold up, he stopped trying to win.

Now losing Hector Moreno (Mexico's best defender) to injury really hurt.

In the Brazil game I don't think the ref wanted Hulk to score. The disallowed hand-ball goal looked fine to me, barely a touch of the shoulder. Worse yet was the 1st half penalty he drew that wasn't called. He had complete ownership of the ball (in the box) when the defender hit both legs and wasn't close to the ball.

Extra time and fatigue, I give you Joel Campbell, Costa Rica. He had 4 or 5 decent opportunities with the ball close to the goal but just could not do anything with them. He couldn't shoot, keep possession or grapple even. Hit his PK though.

Greece, don't think I've ever seen a Greek team play such wide-open attacking soccer. Sure Costa Rica is of moderate talent, and played shorthanded beginning at the 66th minute, but they were playing joyful soccer and must be beyond gutted to lose out.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
Why is Robben admitting to diving? But seriously, Robben destroyed the Mexican defense so many times, fair fans cannot complain about the results.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
I laughed at the Irony of Herrera and Mexicans crying about Robben diving when that has been an integral part of the Mexican game for as long as I can remember. I hate Robben for his diving as much as I hate Mexico for it, I wish FA's would retro yellow's for the act. I do think their was minimal contact made for a peno but he definitely made a meal of it. Either way its good to see Mexico out.

Im glad to see Costa Rica go through, Greece are a horribly negative team and extremely hard to watch to me. No way Costa Rica progress's any further but its been fun watching them.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Why is Robben admitting to diving? But seriously, Robben destroyed the Mexican defense so many times, fair fans cannot complain about the results.
Another World Cup, another round of teams crying foul. Regardless of Robben diving late in the second half, the Netherlands were the better team in the second half, especially in the last 20-25 minutes. Not to mention it was a rather dumb challenge by Marquez in the box.

Mexico should consider themselves lucky the Dutch took so long to adjust to that heat.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
My wife and kids were rooting for the Dutch the whole game (I was a bit undecided) until the "penalty" kick. That was embarrassing, like the Fred dive. It was a great weekend of games, but Robben kind of ruined a part of it.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Quote:
I do think their was minimal contact made for a peno but he definitely made a
meal of it. Either way its good to see Mexico out.
Kind of bad the game went to a kick. Curious why FIFA doesn't bring in checks for reviewing 'dives' now since it's becoming a game-mgmt thing. Refs get fooled so much there when the player is going miles an hour in the box.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,242 times
Dive or not, Herrera shouldn't have parked the bus in the box and hope no goals would come. It was a dumb move. Mexico was dictating, pressuring before the midfield, and things were looking bright. After the goal he forgot all of that and just gave up the midfield fight. Dumb, dumb thing.

Anyway, still a great World Cup for Mexico, considering we barely made it, the tough group, and the little time Herrera had as head coach. Hope they keep him.

Also a breakthrough World Cup for a few of our players, especially Ochoa and Héctor Herrera. Both already in Europe, but their great matches should open the doors to better teams.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,243 times
I just heard there is a massive police presence in french cities like Lyon and Paris. The French are scared that their are going to be riots after the Germany - Algeria match. There were reportedly more than 70 people arrested after the Algeria - Russia match.

Germany vs Algeria: Security Tightened in France Ahead of Algeria's Historic World Cup Match - FIFA World Cup 2014 News

Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Kind of bad the game went to a kick. Curious why FIFA doesn't bring in checks for reviewing 'dives' now since it's becoming a game-mgmt thing. Refs get fooled so much there when the player is going miles an hour in the box.
I would LOVE to see retro punishment for diving but thats probably 30 years out for FIFA. Look how long it took them for goal line technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer