Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, now the republic can go back to normal.

They fought to the end.
I rather call it "United States"
I don't people to think I'm talking about "The People's Republic of China"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Phew, that was an exciting game, wasn't it? Too bad we didn't win but Belgium played much better so they won, fair and square. We played too much defense and, let's be honest here, we really suck at ball possession. Something MUST be done about that or we'll never win the World Cup.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Kinkytoes agrees with many of the comments you guys have posted about the game tonight. We did fight to the end, and we were close. But it was tough to watch at times. Julian's goal was delicious, though...but Nerve wracking! The game seemed pretty even, but a fresh Lukaku tipped the scales too much. That's my humble, inexpert opinion.

But now watching soccer will be way more interesting. Knowing the players on our team means I'll be able to support the clubs they play for and actually care who wins. I'm also hoping hard that we will meet Germany again. Beating them will be great. Just like Ghana went down...I'm hoping Germany's next.

Our national team made this year's FWC so much fun to watch and some of them really stole my heart. They represented our country well and won the admiration of fans all over the globe. Even the Ref loved us. Kinkytoes could tell. Thanks a lot to the team and best of luck to them in the future.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
The game = agony. At least we are part of the WC family now.

Welcome to the WC America!

Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Uh, didn't we join the WC "family" in 1930?

Incidentally, in the U.S.'s first match of that tournament, in which they would end up finishing in 3rd place, the Americans defeated Belgium 3-0.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:34 AM

99 posts, read 163,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

US arrived 12 years ago.
QF in 2002 where they outplayed and outshot (by double) and dominated most of possession against ze Germans, who needed a masterclass by Oliver Kahn between the posts to keep the US off the score sheet. Would have conceivably taken the Koreans had they gotten to the semifinal, though doubtful they would have topped Brasil in the final.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:37 AM

154 posts, read 454,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Phew, that was an exciting game, wasn't it? Too bad we didn't win but Belgium played much better so they won, fair and square. We played too much defense and, let's be honest here, we really suck at ball possession. Something MUST be done about that or we'll never win the World Cup.
poor usa i feel sorry, but one had to go.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
The US where (again) outclassed for a vast majority of the game. Yeah the fight at the end gave it a very exciting climax but the rest of the game was frustrating as we just couldn't get into it. I am not sure why Klinsmann made some of the choices to bring over players that he did.

When he was hired I said he wasnt the right man and I still think the same. Did anybody else notice the smile that Donavon did when being interviewed about the loss ? We should have had him there.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Did anybody else notice the smile that Donavon did when being interviewed about the loss ? We should have had him there.
Donovan alone won't make much difference, if any. I didn't see Donovan's interview but if he really did smile / gloat just to prove his point, well, I'd lose all respect for him.

Let's face it, we suck at possession and lost many, many, chances because of it. It really brings home the fact that we still have a LOT more to learn in techniques and skills. We also rarely went into attack mode unless we're really pushed - but by that time, it's way too late to save ourselves.

Losing is definitely a tough pill to swallow, but there are more WC to come and I sincerely hope we learn from this WC.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Of course he would, hes the guy that has battled the last few years. His battling the last WC was fantastic. He is better than Jozy and Wando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer