Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times

Advertisements

Has the league taken over Chivas ? I didnt read about that.

From a rivalry perspective I have always hated them because the attitide they would win off the bat because of their Mexican roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Major League Soccer purchases Chivas USA | MLSsoccer.com

Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Nice, I did not know that. Itll be good to get rid of Chivas for my reasons stated above. I dont like them staying in LA but well see where that goes.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Re: 'can't compete on international level yet'

You know if it's winning the 'big one' I 'd agree with that. We'll just have to work hard towards it. If we look at the games the US had we were in them. I think it just goes to show that at the level we played it there's kind of thin line between winning and losing. In soccer if something can happen it will! One day we will be able to say that hey we are ready for prime time and everything it throws at us. One day it will be the US to raise that Cup. Now that would be a great achievement.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM

One day they definitely will. Like ive and you have said anything can happen. All you need is a competitive team to win the World Cup. You don't necessarily need the best team. If you can compete you can do well. You never know how lucky the USA will be in a game and how luck may play against another.

As of right now, theyre not doing it but theyre not very far off it.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Nice, I did not know that. Itll be good to get rid of Chivas for my reasons stated above. I dont like them staying in LA but well see where that goes.
They should move Chivas USA to Baltimore or San Diego.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'can't compete on international level yet'

You know if it's winning the 'big one' I 'd agree with that. ... I think it just goes to show that at the level we played it there's kind of thin line between winning and losing....One day it will be the US to raise that Cup.....
I'm here to concur. The US Natl team has shown that they can more than compete with international teams. Also Brian yep you're not a troll. But I'll disagree with your opinion that our team is somehow inferior to international teams. They can and will beat ANY national team, and I'll try to show evidence at the end of the post.

We Surpassed at FWC

TeamUSA did much better than many of the other team who went home early. England and Portugal, for instance. In the game that knocked us out, we lost in OVERTIME and only by one point. This is important to me because our team had basically been jet lagged and playing hard in sweltering heat for the entire group round.

Even relatively fresh Germany only beat us by ONE POINT. Weren't they supposed to destroy us like they did Portugal? One point was all they could manage after playing in good conditions for the whole tournament while team USA had been suffering.

...Despite Significant Hardships

We had THE hardest group round in the entire FWC this year. We had ALL our games in the North...hot and humid. We had long flights for each game. I'm not an athlete, but whenever I have a flight, I need to sleep for like a day afterwards, but our guys got up and PRACTICED and PLAYED. Then they got on the plane and did it again.

So they were very beat up and maybe not as sharp and got hurt... These conditions can kill even a fit person. But they survived.

And not only survived and gave us some good games..but they also managed to beat some a$$. And as far as their last game. It disappointed me, but frankly FIFA made sure with the draw that our guys were half dead by the time we crawled out of the group stage. The Belgas were fresh, and our team was fried, boiled and pickled.

Our Overall Record is Good

I'm responding because God Forbid there are other people who saw our performance this year and who think the team "cannot compete on an international level." How many MORE people does Team USA have to beat? Before FWC, who did our team beat in 2013 and 2014?

Germany 4-3 June 2013

Guatemala 6-0 July 2013

Belize 6-1 July 2013

Cuba 4-1 July 2013

Costa Rica 1-0 July 2013

El Salvador 5-1 July 2013

Honduras 3-1 July 2013

Panama 1-0 July 2013

Bosnia 4-3 August 2013

Republic of Korea 2-0 Feb 2014

Azerbijan 2-0 May 2014

Turkey 2-1 June 2014

Nigeria 2-1 June 2014

Ghana 2-1 June 2014

We did pretty well. Before FWC we won 68% of our games. If you add ties, our success percentage was 84%. That's pretty respectable.

I'm just wondering if FIFA was scared that we would rock the boat at the World Cup. I'll agree that all the players may not have been physically at their best for every World Cup game. But what do you expect? Flying 9000 miles, and playing in the hottest and most humid locations for EVERY one of our games. I'm surprised we lived, much less only lost by one point in the semis.

MNT Matches - U.S. Soccer

BTW even if I'll disagree and try to refute opinions on this thread, I'm loving that people participate. Please feel free to voice your opinion even if you want to flame the team. I'm not promising I'll be nice to you, but you have a right to write what you want. This is a free country.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
After reading some of the posts I'm really glad that their is a consensus that the US can and will compete on a high level in international soccer. I 'd say that it doesn't seem to be 'pie in the sky' because the opinion is based on knowledgeable individuals to the game. This is not one-off stuff!

I believe that with each 4 year span we'll get a little closer to closing that gap with the world's soccer powers. With each Cup we get experience not only in playing but learning how to play and win. It's a skill that can be learned. I'd think this Cup was special and maybe it sparked something around our country on the ball fields and at home at dinner where sport decisions are sometimes made in an athlete's life. Who knows? Maybe we're onto something.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM

A girl wrote this Esquire article, proving once again that we chicks know what is the most important when it comes to sports. That's right, cute Baby and Kid pictures of some of our favorite team USA players:

When The World Cup Stars Were Babies - Pictures - Esquire

Fabian Johnson News

Fabian did a good job during the world cup and got banged up a bit. He hurt his thigh and also hurt his hamstring during the last game. He plays for Borussia Monchengladbach in Germany. He is supposed to start training with his team on the 21st of this month, and it seems they're being kind of tough about it. Hopefully he really is going to be fully fit.

The club's website is here: Borussia verpflichtet Fabian Johnson - Borussia Mönchengladbach

I'm tempted to send them a nasty gram to tell them to be good to Fab, but I can't write in German. Hopefully he is getting a lot of TLC and his teammates will not be jerks because is on the USA team.

American Exports: Borussia Monchengladbach expect speedy recovery for USMNT's Fabian Johnson | MLSsoccer.com

US Open Cup

No this is not a dessert or anything sexual, to my dismay. It seems the USA has our own championship and the MLS teams are vying for this now. Who decided to schedule this during the world cup? The MLS is really foobar. Everybody else has this type of stuff before the world cup, don't they?

But since some of our dudes are involved, I'll give an update of what is going on with the championship. The quarter finals have started! Even though the WC is going on, fans can watch the games online at ussoccer.com's website. Deandre Yedlin will be playing in several games with the Seattle Sounders. Want to see more of him? The schedule is here:

Potential Pairings Determined for Semifinal Round of U.S. Open Cup - U.S. Soccer

Actually I think the game may be going on right now Good luck, Seattle!

Seattle Sounders FC

Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Congrats to Deandre Yedlin's team, the Seattle Sounders. They won yesterday's game. The Sounders are now on their way to the US Open Cup's Quarter Finals.

On the other side of the pond, some of our players are getting suited up for their season in England. Brad Guzan, Geoff Cameron and Tim Howard are looking cute in the 2014-2015 home and away kits for their respective clubs.

Aston Villa - Brad Guzan

Aston Villa's player home kit is the best of these three in terms of looks. They seem to be nicely made with a lot of detail. I LOVE the socks.

Aston Villa Home Shirt 2014-15 | Aston Villa Replica Kits

Everton - Tim Howard

Home Kit. BTW I think I love Everton.

2014/15 Home Kit Revealed / Latest News / News / evertonfc.com - The Official Website of Everton Football Club

Stoke City - Geoff Cameron

Geoff looks lovely. The club's nickname is the Potters, so maybe the things behind them are kilns...

New 2014/15 Stoke City Warrior Kits On Sale Thursday 22nd May 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer