Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Even with the tie that benefits USA, I'm still not sure that the US can beat Germany. It seemed like Germany just got arrogant and thought they didn't have to give it all. Once Ghana started to score, it's then that they started to sweat and almost broke down if it wasn't for Klose coming in and sealing the deal.

But towards the end the German machine woke up. You could see Joaquin low's frustration with underestimating the Ghanese team.

Did you guys see the way they rushed to bring in Klose and Schweinsteiger? I liked how they started to taste desperation. It shows that you cannot underestimate anyone in this cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
90 degrees is too hot? Seriously? Statements like that won't make anyone take this sport more seriously. Yes, 90 degrees plus humidity can get up there, but people play in weather like that all the time. What are they going to do if the tournament is actually held in Qatar and it's 110?
I'm trying hard to not think you are a troll so I'll be a sucker and treat this seriously. For soccer there is a lot of running. Basically you run around for well over an hour. At the same time, you have do dodge people and kick the ball to different places to try to get into into the goal. I've played it before. Normally they do not play it in air conditioning like I did. You get really hot and lose a lot of fluids.

Have you ever played sports at a high level? I haven't either, but for the sports I've played: tennis, badminton, baseball There is a lot LESS running. For sports like Basketball...where there is a lot of running, they play in AIR CONDITIONING. High school football players in the US are dying in increasing numbers from heat stroke...and there is probably a reason the Pro football season is in Fall-Winter.

Too hot for high school football? — The Daily Climate

I'll generally work out in a gym. Sometimes when I exercise, I'll get bad cramps after doing my cardio. Then I have to drink water and luckily it goes away. In soccer, the athletes may need to try to last WITHOUT many water breaks. This can very dangerous for the human body.

I'll guess you are in AC quite a bit and may have dry heat in California(?) Here in the southeast, we usually have very humid summers. People get sick every year from just being outside in the heat, even without doing anything. Because of the humidity, your body does not do a good job of cooling you off. Tens of thousands of people died in the 2003 heat wave in Europe. And it was only in the 90s for much of the time.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/2009.../CampbellS.pdf

Both Lebron James (see a link in one of my previous posts) and Michael Jordan and probably many other athletes have had issues with dehydration and heat. When it gets that hot, people usually stay inside. You are mistaken if you think they're going to run around outside playing sports when it is effectively Ninety Nine degrees outside. (unless you do. In that case, pls upload a video.)

Yet we are asking athletes to play in these conditions. Of course they can and will do it. But even during Lebron's game. It was only up to 90 degrees because the AC broke! Soccer players play hard and are not covered in padding and don't play in AC. Based on the buzz I'm hearing, people are VERY worried about Quatar, by the way. We'll see if that goes forward...

I'm not even sure why I responded to your post. It seems ridiculous. Sorry if you are being genuinely concerned and may just not have experience with sports...but it seems snide. IMO only a fool would not be worried about conditions like this. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Tie!!! USA just has to beat Portugal and they go on through. It's working out.
Yep that is a bit of a relief. I'm anxious for the game tomorrow. I'm hoping our guys can get a lot of rest and the conditions for the game will be good.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Even with the tie that benefits USA, I'm still not sure that the US can beat Germany. It seemed like Germany just got arrogant and thought they didn't have to give it all. Once Ghana started to score, it's then that they started to sweat and almost broke down if it wasn't for Klose coming in and sealing the deal.

But towards the end the German machine woke up. You could see Joaquin low's frustration with underestimating the Ghanese team.

Did you guys see the way they rushed to bring in Klose and Schweinsteiger? I liked how they started to taste desperation. It shows that you cannot underestimate anyone in this cup.
Hmm I'm not sure. It seemed to me that Germany ran out of steam towards the end, but Ghana had more fight and energy. Low is cute. The German goalie is pretty cute. I know barf...I've been lonely to long...loneelyyy.

I'd love to see us meet Germany again. Juergen may have a bone to pick with them, and I'd like to see our deuchekinder (made that up) kick some of their compatriot's butts. There was one kid on the German bench who looked like he may be half American. He looked like he may have wanted to play for the US team instead. At least a lot of our babies will get to play this WC instead of just warming the bench.

They did a closeup of him, and he kind of looked like his butt was itching. Like he was ready to go and play...

Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm trying hard to not think you are a troll so I'll be a sucker and treat this seriously. For soccer there is a lot of running. Basically you run around for well over an hour. At the same time, you have do dodge people and kick the ball to different places to try to get into into the goal. I've played it before. Normally they do not play it in air conditioning like I did. You get really hot and lose a lot of fluids.

Have you ever played sports at a high level? I haven't either, but for the sports I've played: tennis, badminton, baseball There is a lot LESS running. For sports like Basketball...where there is a lot of running, they play in AIR CONDITIONING. High school football players in the US are dying in increasing numbers from heat stroke...and there is probably a reason the Pro football season is in Fall-Winter.

Too hot for high school football? — The Daily Climate

I'll generally work out in a gym. Sometimes when I exercise, I'll get bad cramps after doing my cardio. Then I have to drink water and luckily it goes away. In soccer, the athletes may need to try to last WITHOUT many water breaks. This can very dangerous for the human body.

I'll guess you are in AC quite a bit and may have dry heat in California(?) Here in the southeast, we usually have very humid summers. People get sick every year from just being outside in the heat, even without doing anything. Because of the humidity, your body does not do a good job of cooling you off. Tens of thousands of people died in the 2003 heat wave in Europe. And it was only in the 90s for much of the time.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/2009.../CampbellS.pdf

Both Lebron James (see a link in one of my previous posts) and Michael Jordan and probably many other athletes have had issues with dehydration and heat. When it gets that hot, people usually stay inside. You are mistaken if you think they're going to run around outside playing sports when it is effectively Ninety Nine degrees outside. (unless you do. In that case, pls upload a video.)

Yet we are asking athletes to play in these conditions. Of course they can and will do it. But even during Lebron's game. It was only up to 90 degrees because the AC broke! Soccer players play hard and are not covered in padding and don't play in AC. Based on the buzz I'm hearing, people are VERY worried about Quatar, by the way. We'll see if that goes forward...

I'm not even sure why I responded to your post. It seems ridiculous. Sorry if you are being genuinely concerned and may just not have experience with sports...but it seems snide. IMO only a fool would not be worried about conditions like this. Sorry.

Yep that is a bit of a relief. I'm anxious for the game tomorrow. I'm hoping our guys can get a lot of rest and the conditions for the game will be good.

Yes, I've played a high level of sports (in 105 degree weather, too). Athletes at this level have to be able to perform in all kinds of weather. People often wonder why soccer is still not a huge sport in the U.S., and comments such as 90 degrees is too hot are not helping it any.

My family also doesn't use the A/C unless it's way too hot and a nun is in town (not joking), but most of the people in this house did grow up in the tropics.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:

Maybe so, but if you're a USA fan, things just got really interesting.

If USA/Portugal ends in a tie, then it gets REALLY REALLY interesting!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I

Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
This will be a tough game for the USA with Portugal. Normally, I would say the odds are against us. But this World Cup has shown us anything is possible. I pick the USA 2-1.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Anyone for what the world press will say if we defeat Portugal considering the state of their side??? And curious as to how this important game for both teams will be called.

Really pulling for Jurgen and co but of course it will be tough to win as noted. But I figure if they can keep to Bradley's quip that they have to play at a 2nd or 3rd level when in the Cup they can win. If they need the 4th because of Portugal's play well I hope they can pull it out of themselves.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Anyone for what the world press will say if we defeat Portugal considering the state of their side??? And curious as to how this important game for both teams will be called.

Really pulling for Jurgen and co but of course it will be tough to win as noted. But I figure if they can keep to Bradley's quip that they have to play at a 2nd or 3rd level when in the Cup they can win. If they need the 4th because of Portugal's play well I hope they can pull it out of themselves.
I'm not sure. There are some people who think Cris is faking because he knows the team may not do well. Based on some of his antics and his strong desire to be "the best," who can say?

Many men do not like CR7 because he dates models, girls love him and he is a a very good player. Maybe the best. There was one quote I read that said something like "Messi is a good player and very rich, but he at least has the decency to be ugly." Ha ha haa. *dissolves into laughter* IMO many of the people who run the media and the world (ie men if you haven't gotten the memo) will be rooting for the USA to win.

No matter what happens, the press will blame CR7 as much as decently possible. That is my opinion. So as far as public sentiment, the USA does not have anything to worry about. As long as Portugal does NOT advance, many people will be happy. IMHO of course.

Based on what I've read on the ussoccer website and a$$tagram, the boys have been in Manaus for at least a day and are warmed up and taking good care of themselves. I'm looking forward to a good game. I'd love it if we could meet Germany and really give it to them. Hopefully Muller will be all healed up by then. It looks like he got a bad gash yesterday.

In terms of our team, Jermaine Jones was my favorite in the last game. IRL he has FIVE kids...LOL I bet he though that was hard, now he has 22 ha ha ha. Coach Juergie said the following about today's game:

“...There are certainly things we need to improve, but that gives us even more hope going into Portugal because we didn’t play to the best of our abilities, but we still won this game. If we go to Manaus and play the best level we can play then it’s going to be difficult for Portugal.”

One thing all of the top players seem to have in common is that they would do anything to win. It seems an important piece of being successful. Jermaine has a quote that I love:

“I hate to lose.”

I love that. Muah and lots of luck to my babies out there today. Don't show Portugal mercy.

Five reasons to love U.S. midfielder Jermaine Jones | USA Today World Cup

Old 06-22-2014, 11:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I
no, me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer