Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,319,639 times

Advertisements

Some Mix News

No to Ohio

The Ohio soccer club, Columbus Crew, has been trying to steal Mix away from Norway's Rosenborg ball club. They have apparently been trying to get him to come to Ohio since before this year's FWC. But Mix finally said No.

There were some rumors that his dad said No on his behalf, but he is quoted as saying his dad had nothing to do with the decision. As if, right Mix? This means that there will be a little less eye candy on the field during the Colombus Crew games.

Columbus Crew fall agonizingly short in bold swoop for USMNT's Mix Diskerud: "We were right there" | MLSsoccer.com

Rosenborg FC Club Details | First Team Squad | Soccer Base

Playing Czech Friendly

An article on Rosenborg's website indicates that Mix will be representing the USA in a friendly against the Czech Republic next week. The Friendly is on September 3rd and 2:15 PM ET per the ussoccerplayers website. The babies will be playing in Prague, but I can't find any information about the venue.

From the same site, here is the roster for the friendly:

GK: Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEF: John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton)
MID: Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)
FOR: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Nyheter | Rosenborg
USMNT squad for Czech Republic friendly | US Soccer Player

There are some unfamiliar names in the lineup for this game. I'll do bios on them when I get some time. Warning, I'm sure at least one of them is super cute LOL so you may want to avoid these posts. I've read that the game next week starts the first round of friendlies leading up to FWC 2018. Best of luck to the boys in the game next week and in their professional seasons with their home clubs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,224,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

GK: Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEF: John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton)
MID: Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)
FOR: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)
I am interested to see how the younger group does, there are guys I have never seen yet, like Gyau, Morris, Rubin and Wood. I'm not sure why Rimando is there, unless he asked to go.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 PM

USA Vs Czech Republic

The USA Men's team will be playing the Czech national team in Prague on September 3rd at 2:15 PM EST. The game will be played at Generali Arena. It looks like Praha is how you write Prague in Czech. Franz Kafka is Czech and many of us will remember having to read that book about the big insect in school.

Prague seems to a beautiful, old and interesting city. Since I'm dedicating this post to the as-yet-unknown players, I'll leave the research about the city up to you the readers. It seems like a nice city to visit in the winter. For those who will be watching from home, the game will be broadcast live on the NBC Sports Network and UniMas per ussoccer.

Czech Republic Tickets - Page1
U.S. MNT Opens New Cycle Against Czech Republic on Sept. 3 in Prague - U.S. Soccer

GENERALI Arena - AC Sparta Praha

The New USA Players

Goal Keeper:
Cody Cropper (Southampton)
Our new goal keeper is one more baby at barely 21 years old. He currently plays in the English Premier league for Southampton. He is pretty tall at 6'4" and fair hair that he seems to like to wear short. By the way, Cody seems to be a good candidate to give Brazil's Hulk a run for his money in terms of buns.

Cody was born in Atlanta Georgia in February 1993. Before moving to Southampton, he was starting keeper for the team's under 21 team. He also played in the Ipswich Under 18s in England as well as for the USA Under-20 Men's National team. In an interview, he said his dad calls him after almost all of his games.

Cody Cropper - player profile - Transfermarkt
ASN article: Cody Cropper, 21, Gets to Train with the Big Boys

Defenders:

Greg Garza (Club Tijuana)

Greg's current professional club has the coolest name. He plays for Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuilentes De Caliente. WTH LOL. That is funny. It seems the club is named after the Mexican hairless dog, but I'm not sure what is up with the Caliente part. The famous Mexican painter, Frida Kahlo had one of these dogs. His name was Mr. Xolotl. I've never really gotten the hang of pronouncing the Mexican native names, but I think it is pronounced something like SHO-lo-EEtz-Kwee-lentis. Xolos for short.

Greg is 23 years old and was born in Grapevine, Texas in the USA. He seems to be on the shorter side at 5'8". Prior to playing for Tijuana, Greg played for the USA Under-20 Men's National team and Estoril Praia in Portugal. His current club, the Xolos, reached the Mexican Copa Libertadores quarter finals in 2013.

Greg Garza - Goal.com
Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente

Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla)

Looks wise Michael seems like un verdadero guerrero Azteca. In comparing MLS to Mexican play, Michael seems to confirm something I've noticed about the American league:
“[In the US], it is physical, with more collisions and contact."

IMO this is a big problem with the USA league, and they should try to remember that players are not wearing protective gear. I'm happy to see a good game and to have refs who help the players avoid career destroying and unnecessary injuries. Cough cough cough.

Michael was born in Irvine California and is 28 years old. I'm guessing he is in the prime of his soccer career. Probably at a very good juncture of fitness and experience. Michael played for the youth clubs Irvine Strikers and San Luis FC. In his professional career, he played for the Mexican San Luis Futbol Club, The USA Philadelphia Union and his current home, Mexican club Puebla.

Gringo Report: Orozco Fiscal wants nat'l team spot back | MLSsoccer.com

Michael Orozco - Perfil del jugador - Transfermarkt

Tim Ream (Bolton)

Tim was born in Saint Louis Missouri, but he is being showered with Love Love Love by the fans of his current English club, Bolton. In 2012, the club offered him 30 (thirty) times his salary to stay on, and this year he won Player of the Season as well as a popularity award from the club's fans.

Tim is 6'1" and 160 lbs. He is 26. As a youth, he played for Saint Dominic High School, and then went on to play for the Saint Louis University team. In his professional career, he played for the Chicago Fire American club, the New York Red Bulls and currently plays for the Bolton Wanderers in the English Championship League.

American Exports: Tim Ream wins double Player of the Year honors for Bolton | MLSsoccer.com
Bolton to tempt Tim Ream with deal worth 30 times his salary | Mail Online
http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/tim-...er_145466.html

Fingers...are...cramping. I'll finish the rest of the new players tomorrow.

Midfielders:
Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

Forwards: Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Congrats to Team USA on their win yesterday! Since the game was the start of the new round of games leading up the FWC 2018, I've decided to create a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer