Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,129,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

Plus previous 2 winners of Toure de France, THE PINNACLE of cyling, were British
- actually I'm not trying to convince myself of anything
It's sport. Nothing to get too serious about.

Yes. I'm quite excited, from world cup straight into Le Tour. Lots of late nights here.

Froome is South African

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 06-16-2014 at 11:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,855,808 times
Actually he was born n in Kenya 3000 miles away from South Africa - to British parents. He is ours now wooo haha!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,860 times
The world cup is the largest sporting event in the world outside of the US, some debate that it may be even bigger than the Olympics. I am an American and if the US won I believe that would be HISTORICALLY HUGE not only for spirit of winning but for the sport of Soccer in general in America. GO USA!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,024,536 times
I think only Americans in the US think the Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world. They advertise it as such but I just saw a bid for England to host the Cup and they say the World Cup is the biggest. Every other nation that I've been to has said the World Cup is bigger.

I know the game is not popular in the US but why do we have to be that insular as to what it means to other countries? The media acts like the Olympics is the only true world sporting event. Many Americans just think its a popular sport worldwide but have no clue as to the real zeal people have for it and how whole nations literally stop to follow the games. It's that big from what I've read on non-US sources.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,807,946 times
For some reason the media in the US has been throwing out the high number of tickets bought by US residents as an indication that the US has massive support down in Brazil. I am not saying there aren't a lot of American fans down there, just you have to think more than half of the almost 200,000 tickets were bought for games not involving the US. Yahoo stated the US has the largest foreign fan base in Brazil and used the fact that over 198,000 tickets were bought as evidence.

Every South American country's fans have pretty much made their games a home game in terms of the number of fans in attendance and even Mexico has had a TON of their fans in the stadium for both of their matches.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,510,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
people in this part of the world are often surprised to hear that rugby union is only as big as soccer in australia , when you consider how good australia are at rugby union , this is pretty astonishing , ive relatives in south australia and victoria and they have no interest in any form of rugby , their aussie rules fans but they like soccer too quite a bit
Best I can tell, the traditional division of Sport in Australia along state boundaries is almost unique. I would agree with yourself and Artemis that Soccer has perhaps always been the second football code South of the Murray.

Soccer has done well from itself in the last decade in Australia. The 2006 world cup started it, the move into the AFC and the establishment of a credible national competition in the last decade have all helped.

Who knows, their might be a brilliant soccer team coming out of Australia one day, It's still a long way off however.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 PM

Ok an anti-soccer friend of mine on FB just said that the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event in the world at one billion viewers. Ha! This is what I'm talking about. He really believed his so called "fact". Didn't the World Cup draw, where they choose the trans into groups, draw nearly as many people as a major US sporting event? Heck one semi-final match at the WC can draw more people than the Super Bowl. I love American football but these naysayers are just too much. This level of insular thinking is North Korea-ish.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
For some reason the media in the US has been throwing out the high number of tickets bought by US residents as an indication that the US has massive support down in Brazil. I am not saying there aren't a lot of American fans down there, just you have to think more than half of the almost 200,000 tickets were bought for games not involving the US. Yahoo stated the US has the largest foreign fan base in Brazil and used the fact that over 198,000 tickets were bought as evidence.

Every South American country's fans have pretty much made their games a home game in terms of the number of fans in attendance and even Mexico has had a TON of their fans in the stadium for both of their matches.
It seems Mexico made up a large percentage on the brazil game. Many times the Mexicans were louder than the brazilians. Singing, yelling, mocking the brazilan goalie kicking etc.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,523,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think only Americans in the US think the Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world. They advertise it as such but I just saw a bid for England to host the Cup and they say the World Cup is the biggest. Every other nation that I've been to has said the World Cup is bigger.

I know the game is not popular in the US but why do we have to be that insular as to what it means to other countries? The media acts like the Olympics is the only true world sporting event. Many Americans just think its a popular sport worldwide but have no clue as to the real zeal people have for it and how whole nations literally stop to follow the games. It's that big from what I've read on non-US sources.
Lol why does it bug people that we don't like soccer as much as other countries? we are not insular because we don't like a sport you love, we just simply don't care... that's all it is.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol why does it bug people that we don't like soccer as much as other countries? we are not insular because we don't like a sport you love, we just simply don't care... that's all it is.
It doesn't bug me they you don't like it but that someone could be that insular to believe that the Super Bowl is bigger than the World Cup. You don't like it fine, who cares but don't go around acting as though American football is somehow more popular worldwide. The rest of the world doesn't care if you don't like it but have some sense to admit that not a whole lot of people care about the Super Bowl or World Series or NBA finals outside the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer