Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,655,714 times

Advertisements

About 25 million people tuned in for USA vs Portugal on Sunday which set a record for soccer viewership in the USA. That beat the NBA finals and World Series. Could this be the turning point in interest in US soccer that people have been talking about for decades? Who says Americans don't watch soccer anymore?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/bu...ings.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybro...atch-for-espn/

Plus, that was just the second game in the group stages. Now, imagine what happens if we make it to the knockouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,808,361 times
I know that Real Salt Lake games and Seattle Sounders games are pretty much sold out - not sure about other teams, but I think the Galaxy also sell a lot of tickets. I think going to games is gaining in popularity, and more people are becoming aware of soccer on the professional level. I also think, at least so far, the games can often be cheaper to attend than baseball or football games, which probably gets people excited to go, as well.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,781,943 times
I can tell you that the Galaxy games are very full.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,718,964 times
It can also be due to the fact that it was Sunday evening in US. Let's see how the next game fares -which falls on a week day. I, for one, will be at work and can't be watching it live.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,808,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It can also be due to the fact that it was Sunday evening in US. Let's see how the next game fares -which falls on a week day. I, for one, will be at work and can't be watching it live.
Same. The first game I was off work, and then the second game was on the weekend. But I'm dying a little inside that I can't watch the game tomorrow. I'll be following along with Google, and I'll watch the game once I get home.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:23 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,371,967 times
Its still comparable, the NBA and MLB finals or whatever they are called are not on when people are at work so Sunday's comparison is a good one. You cant say anything based on less viewrship on a game when people are in work.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,782,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
About 25 million people tuned in for USA vs Portugal on Sunday which set a record for soccer viewership in the USA. That beat the NBA finals and World Series. Could this be the turning point in interest in US soccer that people have been talking about for decades? Who says Americans don't watch soccer anymore?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/bu...ings.html?_r=0

U.S.A. Vs. Portugal Highest-Rated Ever World Cup Match for ESPN With 18.22 Million Viewers [UPDATED] - Forbes

Plus, that was just the second game in the group stages. Now, imagine what happens if we make it to the knockouts.
Whoever said Americans do not watch soccer? Look at the TV deals La Liga, the Premiere League and the Champions League have received. The Champions League Final has been shown on FOX live for the last 4 seasons. Plenty of Americans watch soccer. If we're talking about the MLS, that's another story.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,962,226 times
Holy cannoli!! 25 million people? Why isn't this bigger news? I never thought I would see a headline like that. That's just a quarter shy of the Super Bowl which is amazing for a group game if you think about it. Heck, it beating the NBA finals and the World Series speaks volumes. Will the execs get it now?

And as I pointed out earlier in another thread, MLS lacks the history and the magnitude if rivalries that other leagues have. Sports in the US are kinda sanitized, sorry to say. In Europe, soccer games are grudge matches between equally matched teams. You get rich vs poor cities, ultra fans, the singing, the clubs histories, etc. You can't beat a Classico, a Liverpool game, Celtics vs Rangers, Paris vs Marseille.

If execs want MLS to flourish like no other they gotta let the game grow organically rather than just turn it into another sanitized passive spectator sport .

Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,655,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Whoever said Americans do not watch soccer? Look at the TV deals La Liga, the Premiere League and the Champions League have received. The Champions League Final has been shown on FOX live for the last 4 seasons. Plenty of Americans watch soccer. If we're talking about the MLS, that's another story.
That's been said ever since I can remember. The TV ratings are proof of that though, until this world cup. Just google "americans don't watch soccer" and you'll get enough opinions to fill a stadium with. Of course, we may have turned a corner on that issue in this world cup. It's about time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...t+watch+soccer

Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,962,226 times
The only people saying Americans don't watch soccer are aging baby boomers who never grew up with the sport or think its some ludicrous plot to bring us into the world sphere, like its something invading "from without" not "within".

I gotta say the anti-soccer people tend to be a bit chunky :/

When you challenge them they'll give you all this self righteous crap about it being too simple. Their criticism is a blend of nationalism and borderline racism as though its a third world sport any kid with a busted ball can play. I don't know why they haven't gotten it through their heads that the anti soccer rants are old hat? Why do they still think that their opinion about the sport, especially when they seem so brave to declare it in a room full of fans, still matters?

Anti soccer types are just trolls at this point . Its one thing to dislike the sport and give your opinion but to go on and on trying desperately to prove a point, it just becomes pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer