Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, it is very silly to get angry when Americans say soccer. (Especially if your an American) because it is the American English word sort of like getting mad over a Brit calling an Apartment a flat.
Even worse is when they say it should be futbol which is not even an English word. It's like Demanding every American calls North Street Rue de Norte instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Of course its silly but nearly the whole world calls it football. Not just that there is no equivalent to it in another languages other than English (Italy? Anyone?). So in South America there is no such thing as f ut or bol. Foot is 'pies' and ball is 'pelota'. So the whole world is calling it football but the US has just historically used the term soccer. Foreigners think its out of arrogance. Sort of like how we only call ourselves Americans when there is actually a whole continent of Americans.

I'm just finding the excuses US Americans are using funny too. Like when asked why we Americans call our football football when we play it with out hands, the latest is that the ball is measured at a foot long. The funniest reply I've heard from a foreigner to that is that no one plays it outside the US then cus everyone else uses the metric system! LOL. They jokingly call the game "hand egg".

All joking aside though, I kinda don't like calling it soccer either. It sure sound like a kids game. But whatever, it's what we call it and I'm ok living with it.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Of course its silly but nearly the whole world calls it football. Not just that there is no equivalent to it in another languages other than English (Italy? Anyone?). So in South America there is no such thing as f ut or bol. Foot is 'pies' and ball is 'pelota'. So the whole world is calling it football but the US has just historically used the term soccer. Foreigners think its out of arrogance. Sort of like how we only call ourselves Americans when there is actually a whole continent of Americans.

I'm just finding the excuses US Americans are using funny too. Like when asked why we Americans call our football football when we play it with out hands, the latest is that the ball is measured at a foot long. The funniest reply I've heard from a foreigner to that is that no one plays it outside the US then cus everyone else uses the metric system! LOL. They jokingly call the game "hand egg".

All joking aside though, I kinda don't like calling it soccer either. It sure sound like a kids game. But whatever, it's what we call it and I'm ok living with it.
Pretty much the Rest if the world does not include, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, Australia, Vietnam, Burma, Italy, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Korea, Malysia, Poland, South Africa, Pakistan, Nigeria, Singapore, and Liberia all have widespread uses of Soccer or some other word for the sport. (About 1,500,000,000 people)

Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 PM

Fair enough, although I do think Australians now call it football. Their leagues name was changed to football federation. I think the point is that a lot of the world recognizes it as football even if it's said differently in their language. For instance a Polish person may still refer to it as football when discussing it with a person of another country. We just outright say with a toothy grin, "I love soccer".

Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
If you read the history, football wasn't even the original name.

Why does the world always go crazy if the United States does something different and says the US has to be like them.... but then if anyone in the United States says something, they call all Americans crazy jerks who want the world to change.

I stopped caring about what other idiots outside of the US do and say, because all they want to do is complain.

It's a name for a sport, because we already have a sport called football.. and it's the most popular sport in our country. We're not going to change the names because some European might get confused. Get over it, if they're so dense that they can't understand it's only a name.. then they shouldn't even be allowed to communicate online.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 PM

Good god, it's mostly in jest when foreigners talk about Americans calling it soccer. They just think the name sounds silly. No one gets mad like they want to punch you, quit exaggerating. Their favorite sport is called football, other nations have a variety of the name too (mostly derived from foot or kick or ball) but the US calls it a rather kid-friendly name.

Stop complaining. It is dumb that foreigners mock us but it's not as though they don't want us to enjoy the game. Jeez, some Americans have a martyr complex.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Oh yay another why do you get butt hurt when we say soccer thread! Im so excited I can barely contain it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant we just make a I hate football/soccer and want to tell the world how awesome I am thread and merge all these crap threads into one ??

Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 PM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
I have travelled many places throughout the world and I have never met a single person who gets angry when an American says "soccer".

They may, however, show amusement that we call a game that is played almost entirely with the hands "football."

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
I already made one of these...

//www.city-data.com/forum/socce...ed-soccer.html

But the question stands. It does seem petty and childish for people to get that upset over the name of a sport. The more I think about it, the more it just seems to be anti-American crap.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Lets just call soccer by its official name - Association Football.

Heck, doesn't England call there soccer governing body the Football Association?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer