Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:36 PM

373 posts, read 778,498 times

Advertisements

Story:
Fan has ear bitten off before Uruguay-England World Cup match
England fan has ear bitten off before Uruguay-England World Cup match in Sao Paulo | FOX Sports on MSN

Video:
(Warning: Graphic Video)

Watch moment England fan has EAR bitten off in vicious race-hate attack at World Cup - YouTube

Note:
Situations like this seriously affect my faith in mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 PM

60 posts, read 64,032 times
If there's one thing keeping me from liking soccer more, it's the fact that people just get so butthurt when their team loses that they decide to go out and burn their cars, shoot and beat other people, start wars, etc. I mean, these things go on in baseball and American football too (ex. Bryan Stow beating), but it's way worse in soccer. For the most part, our fans limit themselves to trash talk, and I wish fans around the world would too.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Good lord, another soccer bashing thread? Ok, yes, soccer fans go mental, we get it. I also would like to say that when American anti soccer ragers bring up the fans it's almost with a sense of disgust, especially from the third world. Its as though they think they're above them and that our sports are superior because we have nice sanitized family friendly corporate sponsored events for a comfortable middle class. I'm not even talking about when these jokers talk about the unfortunate incident above, but when they see joyous displays of support like huge banners, flares, chanting and such. They describe it as though they're better than these other folk.

Seriously, these posts are just getting obvious now. The xenophobia, the chauvinism and the superiority complex just shines through most of them.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,644 times
This is nothing compared to the old days.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:18 AM

60 posts, read 64,032 times
@radiolibre99 you have to admit though, the nationalism in soccer gets really disgusting at times.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Yes it does.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,524 times
soccer fans make US sports fans look VERY tame.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,389 times
I love the passion - sometimes it gets to much, but that is just how much we love the game - like I have said some people just don't get what it means to people.

This though is just an assault - nothing to do with football.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I love the passion - sometimes it gets to much, but that is just how much we love the game - like I have said some people just don't get what it means to people.

This though is just an assault - nothing to do with football.
Exactly. People in the states just don't get how unleashed soccer games are abroad. We are used to rather controlled games and some of the American public sees big displays of passion to be beneath them. When Americans see the ultras of Italy, England, Argentina, and even in Asia, they think they're crass and vulgar. That's just too much for them. The closest we get to really unleashing is college sports.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Exactly. People in the states just don't get how unleashed soccer games are abroad. We are used to rather controlled games and some of the American public sees big displays of passion to be beneath them. When Americans see the ultras of Italy, England, Argentina, and even in Asia, they think they're crass and vulgar. That's just too much for them. The closest we get to really unleashing is college sports.
It's because most of us grow up and realize that we don't want to go to jail on assault charges over guys who don't give a crap about us on the field.

Sports are fun to watch, but when it comes to the point of riots or hurting other people... well there are some serious issues there.

It happens in college towns because most college students are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer