Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
300 million? That's like three Super Bowls here in the States! That's pretty huge. That means a little less than half the population of Europe saw the final.
Those were the statistics worldwide, not just Europe.

UEFA reports TV audience of 299 million for Euro 2012 final, 167 million for Champions League - Television - Times Colonist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,085 times
The Copa America in Chile next year, despite of the lack of Concacaf teams, will be better in quality overall than the Centennial Copa America because it will happen before the start of the qualifiers and won't overlap with Olympics, but still, like I said, the top South American teams don't tipically go with their complete A teams, unlike the Eurocup.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
They're not. Olympic football is played by U23 teams and Asia and Africa have almost as many spots as Europe (4 vs. 3.5). It's not a serious tournament but I suppose that it has some value if it's the only thing you haven't won yet (as it is for Brazil). Especially since the Olympics will be held in Brazil next. .
Sorry but not completely true. People say that because not many teams, especially Europeans can make it, especially Netherlands Soccer in the Olympic games has some limitations imposed by FIFA, so it does not take the star away from the WC, but it is still a very important tournament.

Because only 16 teams participate in the Olympics, it tends to be rather competitive. Yes, it's only under 23 but all teams can bring up to 3 players over 23, which are typically their major stars. Lately, the olympics have also being important for teams to invest in the renovation and creation of strong squads for the WC. A lot of the players in the current Argentina who lost the final to Germany, were Olympic champions in 2004 and 2008.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I would say the big deal about the Olympics is that many of the up and coming young players are in it and you could see future World Cup players while they are young. It is one gauge of the various country's youth development. At least that is true from an Americas perspective, which is what I follow more closely.

For example, when the US failed to get out of the group stage in qualification it was a big deal. I see the Brazil squad had Neymar and Silva on it and the Mexican squad had dos Santos and other WC starters.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Why do you pretend to be completely ignorant of football sometimes? It's annoying.
Because I never looked at the stats. I had always know these events were popular but never knew they were THAT popular. I live in the States and coverage of football at all is like how citizens of North Korea get to hear about the outside world.

I didn't even know the EPL was popular in the states until I read an article about it a couple months ago. I thought it was just a small niche.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:30 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
European cup of course.. it is far far bigger and more prestigious. Higher quantity of better teams and players.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Sorry but not completely true. People say that because not many teams, especially Europeans can make it, especially Netherlands Soccer in the Olympic games has some limitations imposed by FIFA, so it does not take the star away from the WC, but it is still a very important tournament.

Because only 16 teams participate in the Olympics, it tends to be rather competitive. Yes, it's only under 23 but all teams can bring up to 3 players over 23, which are typically their major stars. Lately, the olympics have also being important for teams to invest in the renovation and creation of strong squads for the WC. A lot of the players in the current Argentina who lost the final to Germany, were Olympic champions in 2004 and 2008.
Important for who? Yes, maybe for people from Nevermindistan who manage to get into the tournament once, and now they have to convince the others that it matters to everybody, because it matters to me.

The fact that the Olympics football is practically an U23 tournament, drops the prestige tremendously. The overaged players are usually like Beckham, just for promo purposes. Most overaged players decline the offer.

Come on, in London the participants were: Great Britain (LOL), Spain, Brazil, Switzerland, UAE, Belarus, South Korea, Japan, Egypt, Morocco, Gabon, Senegal, Mexico, Uruguay, Honduras, New Zealand. Filled with players that nobody knows by name. Dakota Lucas, Sunshine Coast. Right, never heard of him or his club. Some UAE, Gabon or NZ men's team would be walked over or even slaughtered in any EURO tournament or Copa América.

Yes, there's some good players and rising stars in the Olympic football, but there's a lot of players that may score a goal in the quarter finals, but now struggles to even get on the pitch in the Japanese league, like a player called Kensuke Nagai.

And I didn't watch the damn thing at all in London. Couldn't care less.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would say the big deal about the Olympics is that many of the up and coming young players are in it and you could see future World Cup players while they are young. It is one gauge of the various country's youth development. At least that is true from an Americas perspective, which is what I follow more closely.

For example, when the US failed to get out of the group stage in qualification it was a big deal. I see the Brazil squad had Neymar and Silva on it and the Mexican squad had dos Santos and other WC starters.
But it's not as significant as the U23 WC (or other youth WCs), at least here in Europe. The Olympics are held in the same year as the Euro so the European Olympic teams tend to feature the players that weren't good enough to be selected for the national team. Compared to the other major international football tournaments in Europe (WC, Euro, CL, EL), the Olympics just aren't that relevant. People watch the Olympics for other sports, many even feel that football doesn't belong there because it doesn't feature the best athletes. The fact that Africa and Asia are way overrepresented and Oceania gets a guaranteed spot doesn't help the quality or prestige of the tournament.

Edit: to clarify, in the first sentence I meant significant as a gauge of the various countries' youth development.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
But it's not as significant as the U23 WC (or other youth WCs), at least here in Europe. The Olympics are held in the same year as the Euro so the European Olympic teams tend to feature the players that weren't good enough to be selected for the national team. Compared to the other major international football tournaments in Europe (WC, Euro, CL, EL), the Olympics just aren't that relevant. People watch the Olympics for other sports, many even feel that football doesn't belong there because it doesn't feature the best athletes. The fact that Africa and Asia are way overrepresented and Oceania gets a guaranteed spot doesn't help the quality or prestige of the tournament.

Edit: to clarify, in the first sentence I meant significant as a gauge of the various countries' youth development.
Yeah, in the end I agree with you. It is one of the many places that youth players get a chance to show they belong on the senior squad. Overall, I watch very little of the olympics, but will watch a bit from track and field, basketball, volleyball, and soccer. I don't find the Olympics that amazing in general, but I bet it would be fun to travel and see the games live, just for fun.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, in the end I agree with you. It is one of the many places that youth players get a chance to show they belong on the senior squad. Overall, I watch very little of the olympics, but will watch a bit from track and field, basketball, volleyball, and soccer. I don't find the Olympics that amazing in general, but I bet it would be fun to travel and see the games live, just for fun.
In the United States, the Olympics are touted as the biggest sporting event in the world. When the Olympics come around the media plays it up way more than the WC and acts as though everyone knows it's the biggest in the world. It's silly.

I've hardly ever kept up with the Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer