Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
You are the one who knows nothing about football, or have you not noticed that in the WC there are always quite a few teams in the quarters (best 8) that aren't Europeans or South Americans. Heck, there had been even teams in the semis that aren't from Europe or South America. Oh, here is where your argument goes completely into the "video game football kinda of fan" category: England, Spain and Italy did not even make it out of the group stage in the WC and do I have to remind you that their groups had plenty of teams outside Europe?

Spain was the last eurocup champions, twice in a roll. Big deal.
I don't know anything about football because I'm not constantly praising the South American teams?

2014: one nation outside Europe and South America in the QF (Costa Rica)
2010: one nation outside Europe and South America in the QF (Ghana)
2006: everyone from Europe or South America
2002: two countries (S-Korea due to fixed games and Senegal)
1998: no countries outside Europe or South America

You have given no reasons whatsoever why to justify that a 32 team World Cup should be a tougher than a 8 team Euro Cup, you're only making ridiculous insults. And for that reason I have no interest in arguing with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 04:00 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
I think that's an absurd concept to be quite honest, no truly football fan, that really understand the game, the skills and tactics, and its marvelous history, wound ever say that.

South America won almost half of all WCs. South America players dominate the best player of the world award for how long now? Almost forever, really.

Not to mention the best 2 players of the world ever, Pele and Maradona are from... You can guess even if you don't know anything about soccer.
Europe dominates world football, sorry but it's true.

Since 1986, only Brazil have won the world cup outside of Europe.

At the moment, Europe is far ahead and that is also clear.. history does not affect today. Having the best players does not matter.. even Africa have produced some of the best players

Old 07-18-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You are the one who knows nothing about football, or have you not noticed that in the WC there are always quite a few teams in the quarters (best 8) that aren't Europeans or South Americans. Heck, there had been even teams in the semis that aren't from Europe or South America. Oh, here is where your argument goes completely into the "video game football kinda of fan" category: England, Spain and Italy did not even make it out of the group stage in the WC and do I have to remind you that their groups had plenty of teams outside Europe?

Spain was the last eurocup champions, twice in a roll. Big deal.
Spain, Germany Holland are ahead of any other team at the moment.

Even Italy, possibly Belgium and France you could add to that list. Italy had a bad world cup, but big things were expected of them before.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:14 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post

At the moment, Europe is far ahead and that is also clear.. history does not affect today. Having the best players does not matter.. even Africa have produced some of the best players
Germany is the only European team who has won a WC in SA.

Finally, ask any Spain fan if they would trade their 2 eurocup trophies for another WC win; they all would say YES, no hesitation, just like my close Spanish friend did when I asked him.

End of conversation for me, not worth it.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-18-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

What African player has been the best player of the world? Europe has twice as many spots in the WC yet South America have almost as many wins.

Europe could never have a player like Pele, Maradona or Messi. They don't know what jogo bonito is. Will never know.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Germany is the only European team who has won a WC in SA.

Finally, ask any Spain fan if they would trade their 2 eurocup trophies for another WC win; they all would say YES, no hesitation, just like my close Spanish friend did when I asked him.

End of conversation for me, not worth it.
I'm not so sure.

World Cup is definitely the most prestigious, no doubt about that. But tougher to win? Probably the European cup.

Just like the Premier League is probably harder to win than the Champion's League, yet I'm guessing the CL is more prestigious to a lot of people

Old 07-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
What African player has been the best player of the world? Europe has twice as many spots in the WC yet South America have almost as many wins.

Europe could never have a player like Pele, Maradona or Messi. They don't know what jogo bonito is. Will never know.
George Weah

Most of the SA wins come in the distant past.. and only by 3 teams. Compare to Europe where we have Germany, England, France, Spain, Italy and Netherlands can count themselves very unlucky to not have won.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Just like the Premier League is probably harder to win than the Champion's League, yet I'm guessing the CL is more prestigious to a lot of people
That's quite a bold statement, considering that Real Madrid and Milan has more CL/European Cup victories together (17) than all English teams combined (12). But is the weakest PL team better than the weakest CL team? Definitely so.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure.

World Cup is definitely the most prestigious, no doubt about that. But tougher to win? Probably the European cup.

Look. I love soccer and I would be a fool if I don't follow the eurocup. It's a good tournament. But I like the games, don't care much about the winner. I don't think anybody in the world cares who wins it except Europeans. Still, what European teams really care about, as the rest of the world, is how they do in the WC.
Europe will never dominate football like you claim. Belgium came as the strongest candidate for the surprise of the tournament and yet, what did we see? Colombia in the highlights, not Belgium. The world is talking about James Rodrigues right now, not Shakiri? Shakira? Who cares?

Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
George Weah

Most of the SA wins come in the distant past.. and only by 3 teams. Compare to Europe where we have Germany, England, France, Spain, Italy and Netherlands can count themselves very unlucky to not have won.
England, Netherlands? England has not won anything since 1966!!!! And Netherlands is arguably the most failure football country in Europe, with so many good players in the past, never managed to win an WC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer