Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
It was City not Utd, and to be fair as warm up games go the Community Shield at Wembley is a fairly big stage, whilst the shield has a long history dating back to 1908 and beyond.

Personally I think Arsenal look good, as do Liverpool and Man Utd, so it should be an interesting season.
I believe BrianH was referring to Man Utd winning the pre-season Guiness Cup in the US. Whereas Arsenal won the Community Shield, for which they had to win a trophy last year to even qualify for.

As for my Top 4:

Man Utd
Man City
Chelsea
Liverpool

I think United will surprise, and be back to their old winning ways. They'll prove last year was a fluke and nip City to the title. It'll be close, but Utd will win with a week left in the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
The EPL is surely the most interesting league in Europe this year. Is NBC sports the only one with rights to broadcast it this season?
Yeah, their coverage is good. The biggest drawback from losing Fox Soccer is the lack of replays for when people get out of bed at a normal time and want to watch a game. Last season with NBCSN you had to be up or you missed it.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
The EPL is surely the most interesting league in Europe this year. Is NBC sports the only one with rights to broadcast it this season?
Yes, NBC owns the rights to the EPL for I believe the next few seasons.

Fox holds rights to FA cup and Champions League.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I believe BrianH was referring to Man Utd winning the pre-season Guiness Cup in the US. Whereas Arsenal won the Community Shield, for which they had to win a trophy last year to even qualify for.

As for my Top 4:

Man Utd
Man City
Chelsea
Liverpool

I think United will surprise, and be back to their old winning ways. They'll prove last year was a fluke and nip City to the title. It'll be close, but Utd will win with a week left in the season.
first, we beat Liverpool and Real Madrid in that tourney, so it wasnt against some weak teams.

as for united finishing first, if you follow them you will know we are pretty weak at the back now with vidic, rio (ok he was old) and evra gone. Phil Jones is not a long term solution. Smalling is ok though. We will concede too many goals unless we get some real good defensive talent soon.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
IMO, MU problem last season was called David Moyes

Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 AM

But it was a friendly tournament that the players dont care about, hardly something to excited for.

I agree, I dont think Utd have spent in the right places to come top of the table. The title will be between Arsenal, Chelsea and City with Liverpool and Utd challenging for 34th most likely.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeah, their coverage is good. The biggest drawback from losing Fox Soccer is the lack of replays for when people get out of bed at a normal time and want to watch a game. Last season with NBCSN you had to be up or you missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Yes, NBC owns the rights to the EPL for I believe the next few seasons.

Fox holds rights to FA cup and Champions League.
Dang! That means I need to switch to Satellite asap. Good old, small city, only cable provider does not have NBS sports on it. Can anybody recomment Dish or DirectTV for soccer content in general?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 AM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Top Four gents?
I can't say... It'll probably be from:

Chelsea

Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
--------
Man Utd
Everton
Tottenham

I recently moved from Southwark (nr Millwall) to Charlton (erm, nr Charlton Athletic) and the nearest Premiership club to me is West Ham. I'm unlikely to watch my own team play that often, being an Olympic Lyonnais fan, so I'll probably go and see a few Charlton Athletic games and if I want to see a Premiership match I think I'll head further north than West Ham and go and see Arsenal instead.

This might prove interesting to a few people, it shows the team density in London: London Football Clubs

Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Dang! That means I need to switch to Satellite asap. Good old, small city, only cable provider does not have NBS sports on it. Can anybody recomment Dish or DirectTV for soccer content in general?
When I paid for TV Dish had the cheaper package with NBCSN on it, not sure if thats changed. Now I use a friend logon and stream to Droid with it connected to the TV.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
I have DirecTV. NBCS is not available in their 2 lowest packages, it is a bit annoying. I would need to pay another $10 a month for NBCS, but I haven't done that yet...not sure what I'm doing for that. I had it last year and enjoyed watching EPL, but I feel stubborn about this $10 since everything is so expensive. I can now see my local MLS team on a local channel and ESPN throws a couple games on a week. I saw that regular NBC will have an EPL game on this weekend (ArsenalxCP).

All lower level packages have FoxSports (Champions League), too many ESPN channels, and Mexican channels. La Liga is only available on BeIn, which would be an extra $10 a month.

I already pay $20 a month for Globo for my wife, so I have been DVRing Brazil Serie A games.

I know nothing about Dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer