Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM

264 posts, read 272,459 times

Advertisements

Manchester United would be the equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys. By far the most popular club but roundly loathed by nearly every other teams support. I'm not sure who the Arsenal of the US would be.
As for names you might like some such as Tottenham Hotspur (Arsenal's greatest and nearest rivals),Hamilton Academicals, Crewe Alexandra, Crusaders, Accrington Stanley, and many others better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
Manchester United would be the equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys. By far the most popular club but roundly loathed by nearly every other teams support. I'm not sure who the Arsenal of the US would be.
As for names you might like some such as Tottenham Hotspur (Arsenal's greatest and nearest rivals),Hamilton Academicals, Crewe Alexandra, Crusaders, Accrington Stanley, and many others better.
Crystal Palace has got to be up there with the best of the UK football team names? I quite like Aston Villa, Queens Park Rangers and Wolverhampton Wanderers too.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Crystal Palace has got to be up there with the best of the UK football team names? I quite like Aston Villa, Queens Park Rangers and Wolverhampton Wanderers too.
Great names. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Great names. Thanks!
I forgot thre Scottish football club names which are proud historical ones, Queen of the South, which is the nickname of the town of Dumfries, and Edinburgh's famous Heart of Midlothian, more informally known as Hearts or the Jambos.And Glasgow' very much third club, Partick (not Patrick) Thistle.
The Scots put more effort into their names, dont you think?

Even only a couple of decades ago, the town of Inverness amalgamated its two clubs, Inverness Caledonian or Caley, and Inverness Thistle, in an effort to get a more sucessful side in the town.
Its worked as the most Scottish sounding sports team on the planet, 'Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC', so Scots you could shoot wild haggis off its name, is crrently in the Scottish Premier league and also in the final of, and favourites to lift, the Scottish cup next month.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
I forgot thre Scottish football club names which are proud historical ones, Queen of the South, which is the nickname of the town of Dumfries, and Edinburgh's famous Heart of Midlothian, more informally known as Hearts or the Jambos.And Glasgow' very much third club, Partick (not Patrick) Thistle.
The Scots put more effort into their names, dont you think?

Even only a couple of decades ago, the town of Inverness amalgamated its two clubs, Inverness Caledonian or Caley, and Inverness Thistle, in an effort to get a more sucessful side in the town.
Its worked as the most Scottish sounding sports team on the planet, 'Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC', so Scots you could shoot wild haggis off its name, is crrently in the Scottish Premier league and also in the final of, and favourites to lift, the Scottish cup next month.
It's incredible how much heart, soul and pride goes into these names. Very inspirational! Hard not to realize how much they love their football in Scotland.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:58 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
0-0, what shocker. Jose Boreinho up to his old tactics

Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
0-0, what shocker. Jose Boreinho up to his old tactics
Here's a thought for you...........Chelsea weren't the only team that scored 0!! Incidently it was the team in blue that had the most shots on target and created the better chances! Something else for you to bear in mind.......Chelsea were the AWAY team. If anything Arsenal (the home team that needed a win) were obviously the least 'enthralling' in this particular game. The fact is Mourinho has beaten Wenger, then beaten him again, then again and again (13 games without losing to him), there really isn't much that Arsenal fans can do to make themselves feel 'superior' so they 'try' and think of anything they can to make themselves feel better, criticising Mourninho's (extremely successful) tactics is all they have left!

Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Oh my gosh!

They'll be a new team in the PL next season, one local to me.

AFC Bournemouth have effectively secured promotion this evening.

It's an incredible feat. It's a tiny club. The ground takes 11,700.

They nearly disappeared from the football league in 2008. They started that season (in League 2) on -17 points!

Who would have thought it!

Last edited by Jezer; 04-27-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Oh my gosh!

They'll be a new team in the PL next season, one local to me.

AFC Bournemouth have effectively secured promotion this evening.

It's an incredible feat. It's a tiny club. The ground takes 11,700.

They nearly disappeared from the football league in 2008. They started that season (in League 2) on -17 points!

Who would have thought it!
Fabulous achievement, its what sports all about and what makes English football so good, they're living the dream, I also think that (as long as Eddie How's stays and they keep the team together) they will do quite well next season.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Fabulous achievement, its what sports all about and what makes English football so good, they're living the dream, I also think that (as long as Eddie How's stays and they keep the team together) they will do quite well next season.
Nice to see, isn't it.

I bet that slippery old scrote Redknapp is hovering around the place looking for the faint light of reflected glory. He was at the game for Sky tonight. His knees looked okay, no walking stick of crutches in evidence,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer